Words & Banter

Royalty & Relevance

Elaborate weddings. Dramatic divorces. Fairy tales and tabloid stories. Then an Oprah interview, and the strain between members of the Royal Family, and especially Prince William and Prince Harry. And now, most sadly, a funeral for Prince Philip, the Queen's husband and the longest-serving consort In British history. With what has already become an iconic image of the Queen sitting in the church, masked and alone.

Many are hopeful that Saturday's funeral provided a bittersweet opportunity for reconciliation and healing, as grief often pulls families together. But what's the fascination with the British Royal Family, anyway? Well, Black may not be interested in the pomp and circumstance of royalty (although she admits she was interested in the custom Range Rover hearse that was designed by Prince Philip), but she's very interested in relevance.

In this month's column, RED & BLACK … Royalty & Relevance, Black wants Red's unique perspective (she used to live in England and was married to a Brit) on what the British Royal Family has represented in the past and what they may, or may not, be able to do in the future.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

As you know, I love history, but I appreciate many people don’t.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

I am one of those people, so not sure where you are going with this.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Exactly. So, when you first wanted to talk to me about the history of credit cards, I should have known something was up.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Or, at least been curious.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

How was I supposed to know it would make a difference in my life?

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Why else would I want to give you a “history lesson”?
Keep Reading ...Show less
Photo by mevans on iStock
Let’s be very clear. Autism has no correlation with intelligence; it’s a developmental disability (or what Black refers to as “DIFF-abilities”). And it’s a spectrum disorder, which means each autistic person has their unique mix of abilities, challenges, and ways of seeing the world (can’t that be said of all of us?!) So, as we celebrate World Autism Acceptance Week, remember it’s more than just awareness – it’s about acceptance.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Did you know that April's Autism Awareness Month? I wasn't aware (pun intended) of it until I read our local homeowner's monthly newsletter and it caught my eye.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Actually, last month the founding organization, the Autism Society, changed "Awareness" to "Acceptance" to foster inclusivity, as knowing about something is very different from accepting it. But I am guessing that is not the point of this call.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Although it isn't autism, it reminded me of years ago when we found out that Natasha has learning disabilities.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

I think you mean DIFF-abilities.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Of course, that's another thing I remember. I was focused on the negative aspects of her diagnosis until you asked me, point-blank, "Why are they called disabilities?" And proceeded to explain that everyone has different strengths and weaknesses.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Exactly! Imagine the world if everyone excelled at math, but flunked English. Or, a world of lawyers, but no musicians. Some people are better at social skills, while others excel at handling technical data. Why not just say that people who have different skillsets and abilities have DIFF-abilities versus making them feel like they have shortcomings?
Keep Reading ...Show less

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

As much of a history buff as I am, I’m embarrassed to admit that for a long time, I didn’t know March was Women’s History Month. But now that I do, I’m amazed by all the inspirational stories of women’s remarkable achievements.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Too bad Natasha and Sawyer do not still live at home; it would be fun to start a conversation by asking them what women they find inspiring.

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

I already know who they would pick. The first woman to race the road course at Indianapolis Motor Speedway. And I’d have to agree with them. Your Ferrari racing has made an impact on so many people. But especially girls.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Until you mentioned it several years ago, I never thought about that. In the 1970s, I was one of the few women in business school. I then made a career in the male-dominated oil and gas industry. I am used to being a “token” female.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Trust me. I watch people whenever we’ve done speaking engagements. It’s predictable ... we put up the family tree, and Natasha and Sawyer get awws, but your two racecars get everyone’s attention.
Keep Reading ...Show less