Column Archives

RED & BLACK ... Are In Prison?

The story of how we "ended up in prison" is one we're often asked to tell, and we think this column (first published in February 2013) does a good job of doing that …

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Coming up with this month's topic and title was easy. Figuring out how to explain it may be a little more complicated.

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

No kidding. Every time we meet with Chaplain Watkins and she tells us about the men she works with and how they've reacted to our book, I'm left speechless.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

That, in itself, is fairly amazing.

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

Cute. But if anyone had told us when we wrote our book that it would end up in a men's prison and that offenders would not only be reading the book, but enjoying it, learning from it, and sharing the lessons in it with their families, I'd have said they were crazy.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

I believe that is what you called me when I told you that we were going to be speakers at the National Prisoner's Family Conference last February.

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

No. I thought you were kidding. Remember, YOUR business plan was that the book would be the basis of a sitcom. Not a Texas-approved textbook.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

That might not have been our plan but, as you know, life rarely goes according to plan.

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

There's an understatement. But at the time, I thought it was just another one of your "outside the box" ideas. Way outside the box. However, once we spoke at the conference, and started learning more about the prison world, I realized there was a huge need for this information.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

You are conveniently forgetting that initially you were fairly negative about it.

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

Yes, I was. My attitude was that prisoners had done something wrong, so they deserved to be in prison. I had no desire to help them. My heart was with the students, and trying to get our book and its "real life" lessons into the schools.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

I understand. I would venture to guess that most people feel that way. On the surface, it seems logical.

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

Of course, you saw it differently.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Maybe more pragmatically. And then I started doing research. What really got my attention was the Children's Defense Fund's, "Cradle To Prison Pipeline" report. It explains all the contributing factors that feed that pipeline. And how education is a critical key to changing the trajectory of these lives.

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

What got my attention was the concept that you can calculate how many prison beds will be needed in the future based on children who can't read on grade level by the fourth grade.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

It makes perfect sense … once you stop and think about it.

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

But it's not something you would typically think about. But then again, you rarely do the typical thing. Like the time you asked me what I was doing on a Friday night, and I thought you wanted to go to a movie. It never dawned on me that you were inviting me to "go to prison" with you and the founder of Wings Ministry.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

And you found every excuse in the book not to go.

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

I'm a single mom. Heading off to a prison is not something I'd feel safe doing. And I wondered about your logic, but didn't want to ask.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

There is only one way to get first-hand knowledge. I wanted to see what I had only read about. However, I was not prepared for what I discovered.

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

I remember you telling me that it was like a scene out of the old "Get Smart" TV series, with the long corridor and the locking doors.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Architecturally, it was built in 1908 and is beautiful. Although initially intimidating, once I met some of the men it became very "human." They were truly appreciative of my being there, as so many of them feel the outside world has forgotten them. And once the chaplain heard about our book she was anxious to read it.

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

What I still find hard to believe was that she mentioned that Stringfellow Unit is the only prison in Texas that has a kosher kitchen! I remember telling you that in this instance, G-d was not being subtle. There was clearly a reason that this was the first prison you ever visited.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

I believe the word is beschert.

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

Well, a lot has happened since then. Chaplain Watkins not only had our book/program "approved," but also completed two pilot book clubs with 50+ men, and has already started a third. Even Sawyer, who is only 10, was surprised by the feedback from the men who have completed the program. Her exact quote was, "Wow!"

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

What I find fascinating is how many of these men are connecting the dots between how not understanding personal finance causes stress, and then realizing how it can lead to drugs and/or alcohol. And how "all of the above" contributes to bad decisions.

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

Obviously, they're finding the "life lessons" I learned as a 40+ year-old to be extremely important as they're saying they want to share the book with their families. I'm moved by their statements that they want their wives, their children, to learn what they're learning.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Well, according to Chaplain Watkins, their actions are matching their words. They are writing home about it, and a few even said they were going to send the book home.

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

I know. But my favorite story is the man who now turns off the water when he brushes his teeth. It sounds like such a small thing, but it says so much once you learn that he's doing it to because he recognizes he'll be living with someone when he gets out and doesn't want to waste their money. He wants to start today to make it a good habit for the future.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

It is all about taking control of your life, versus letting your life control you. It is what I told you when Nick got fired. And it is what we tell students.

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

But in this case, I can't help but wonder how many lives are being touched – not only the offenders, but their families, their friends, their communities. Not to mention, what if some of the men who have read our book now start making better decisions. And once released, don't return to prison.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Exactly. Just imagine the money that would save taxpayers. The cost of Texas state prisons is about $22,000 per person per year, which works out to $60 a day. Our book costs less than half a day in prison. So if it has the potential to actually make a difference in their lives and their future decisions, it seems like a small investment … with huge upside potential. To me, it is a no-brainer.

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

I was thinking more about the family environment, but your numbers make perfect sense. Unfortunately, just because something makes sense, doesn't mean it's going to happen. Just take a look at the education system. And what we've been trying to do for over three years now with limited success.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

I know. It is extremely frustrating. But one day it will be ironic.

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

What do you mean?

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Besides the fact it is much cheaper to educate than incarcerate (average cost for a year of public education in Texas is about $8,700 per student compared to the $22,000 cited above; nationally, the numbers are around $11,000 and $31,000, respectively), one day I expect to ask the question, "Why is it that these critical life lessons are being taught in prisons, but not in our schools?"

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

Well, that should get Austin's attention.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Austin? I was thinking Washington, D.C. And, it needs to do more than that. It needs to get everyone's attention. Especially voters.
Photo courtesy of United States Holocaust Memorial Museum
Some things should never be forgotten. That’s why tomorrow’s International Holocaust Remembrance Day was created by the United Nations to mark the unspeakable horror of the Nazi’s genocide of over six million Jews. An event beyond comprehension, which makes us wonder why many U.S. states don’t require students learn about the horrors of the Holocaust. How can we prevent atrocities from happening again if we don’t understand how they happened before? And as we see heartbreaking images from Ukraine, it reminds us of Holocaust images, and that evil will always be evil …

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Shoes. Seemingly endless shoes. That’s all I can think about.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

I know you cannot be talking about my closet.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Far from it! It’s an image that’s forever burned in my memory. A pile of shoes, each one representing a life lost. Each one a story onto itself. Each one proof of something we should never forget.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Normally, I would ask you to tell me what you are talking about or accuse you of being overly dramatic. But, not this time.
Keep Reading ...Show less
Photo by OnTheRunPhoto for iStock

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

I keep getting emails about where to go for mocktails. I know alcohol-free cocktails, like Virgin Margaritas, have been around for a while, but I’d never heard that term before. Do you think it has to do with New Year’s resolutions?

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

It can if any of your resolutions are to lose weight, save money, sleep better. Or, drink less. Psychologically, January is the month when we “reset”, so a UK-based organization, Alcohol Change UK, started Dry January, where you abstain from drinking alcohol.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Perfect timing since many people shop, eat, and drink more than usual over the holidays.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

I know you used to drink a glass of Cold Duck on New Year’s Eve, a tradition going back to our childhood, but that hardly counts as drinking. But, I have always wondered why you rarely drink, but never asked.
Keep Reading ...Show less

If you had to live without hugs … would that make you sad or glad?

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: How can something as simple as a hug elicit such incredibly different reactions; while it’s not surprising that Red thinks about hugs very differently than Black, it’s very surprising which one of them is supported by science.

Keep Reading ...Show less