Column Archives

RED & BLACK ... Are In Prison?

The story of how we "ended up in prison" is one we're often asked to tell, and we think this column (first published in February 2013) does a good job of doing that …

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Coming up with this month's topic and title was easy. Figuring out how to explain it may be a little more complicated.

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

No kidding. Every time we meet with Chaplain Watkins and she tells us about the men she works with and how they've reacted to our book, I'm left speechless.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

That, in itself, is fairly amazing.

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

Cute. But if anyone had told us when we wrote our book that it would end up in a men's prison and that offenders would not only be reading the book, but enjoying it, learning from it, and sharing the lessons in it with their families, I'd have said they were crazy.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

I believe that is what you called me when I told you that we were going to be speakers at the National Prisoner's Family Conference last February.

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

No. I thought you were kidding. Remember, YOUR business plan was that the book would be the basis of a sitcom. Not a Texas-approved textbook.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

That might not have been our plan but, as you know, life rarely goes according to plan.

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

There's an understatement. But at the time, I thought it was just another one of your "outside the box" ideas. Way outside the box. However, once we spoke at the conference, and started learning more about the prison world, I realized there was a huge need for this information.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

You are conveniently forgetting that initially you were fairly negative about it.

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

Yes, I was. My attitude was that prisoners had done something wrong, so they deserved to be in prison. I had no desire to help them. My heart was with the students, and trying to get our book and its "real life" lessons into the schools.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

I understand. I would venture to guess that most people feel that way. On the surface, it seems logical.

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

Of course, you saw it differently.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Maybe more pragmatically. And then I started doing research. What really got my attention was the Children's Defense Fund's, "Cradle To Prison Pipeline" report. It explains all the contributing factors that feed that pipeline. And how education is a critical key to changing the trajectory of these lives.

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

What got my attention was the concept that you can calculate how many prison beds will be needed in the future based on children who can't read on grade level by the fourth grade.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

It makes perfect sense … once you stop and think about it.

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

But it's not something you would typically think about. But then again, you rarely do the typical thing. Like the time you asked me what I was doing on a Friday night, and I thought you wanted to go to a movie. It never dawned on me that you were inviting me to "go to prison" with you and the founder of Wings Ministry.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

And you found every excuse in the book not to go.

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

I'm a single mom. Heading off to a prison is not something I'd feel safe doing. And I wondered about your logic, but didn't want to ask.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

There is only one way to get first-hand knowledge. I wanted to see what I had only read about. However, I was not prepared for what I discovered.

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

I remember you telling me that it was like a scene out of the old "Get Smart" TV series, with the long corridor and the locking doors.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Architecturally, it was built in 1908 and is beautiful. Although initially intimidating, once I met some of the men it became very "human." They were truly appreciative of my being there, as so many of them feel the outside world has forgotten them. And once the chaplain heard about our book she was anxious to read it.

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

What I still find hard to believe was that she mentioned that Stringfellow Unit is the only prison in Texas that has a kosher kitchen! I remember telling you that in this instance, G-d was not being subtle. There was clearly a reason that this was the first prison you ever visited.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

I believe the word is beschert.

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

Well, a lot has happened since then. Chaplain Watkins not only had our book/program "approved," but also completed two pilot book clubs with 50+ men, and has already started a third. Even Sawyer, who is only 10, was surprised by the feedback from the men who have completed the program. Her exact quote was, "Wow!"

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

What I find fascinating is how many of these men are connecting the dots between how not understanding personal finance causes stress, and then realizing how it can lead to drugs and/or alcohol. And how "all of the above" contributes to bad decisions.

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

Obviously, they're finding the "life lessons" I learned as a 40+ year-old to be extremely important as they're saying they want to share the book with their families. I'm moved by their statements that they want their wives, their children, to learn what they're learning.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Well, according to Chaplain Watkins, their actions are matching their words. They are writing home about it, and a few even said they were going to send the book home.

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

I know. But my favorite story is the man who now turns off the water when he brushes his teeth. It sounds like such a small thing, but it says so much once you learn that he's doing it to because he recognizes he'll be living with someone when he gets out and doesn't want to waste their money. He wants to start today to make it a good habit for the future.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

It is all about taking control of your life, versus letting your life control you. It is what I told you when Nick got fired. And it is what we tell students.

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

But in this case, I can't help but wonder how many lives are being touched – not only the offenders, but their families, their friends, their communities. Not to mention, what if some of the men who have read our book now start making better decisions. And once released, don't return to prison.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Exactly. Just imagine the money that would save taxpayers. The cost of Texas state prisons is about $22,000 per person per year, which works out to $60 a day. Our book costs less than half a day in prison. So if it has the potential to actually make a difference in their lives and their future decisions, it seems like a small investment … with huge upside potential. To me, it is a no-brainer.

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

I was thinking more about the family environment, but your numbers make perfect sense. Unfortunately, just because something makes sense, doesn't mean it's going to happen. Just take a look at the education system. And what we've been trying to do for over three years now with limited success.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

I know. It is extremely frustrating. But one day it will be ironic.

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

What do you mean?

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Besides the fact it is much cheaper to educate than incarcerate (average cost for a year of public education in Texas is about $8,700 per student compared to the $22,000 cited above; nationally, the numbers are around $11,000 and $31,000, respectively), one day I expect to ask the question, "Why is it that these critical life lessons are being taught in prisons, but not in our schools?"

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

Well, that should get Austin's attention.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Austin? I was thinking Washington, D.C. And, it needs to do more than that. It needs to get everyone's attention. Especially voters.

Warm and fuzzy? Yes, and proud of it, too. After graduating with a degree in Theater Arts, Tina Pennington (aka “Red”) met an Englishman, fell in love, and traveled the world. His career took them everywhere, with stints in the Netherlands, England, Hong Kong, and Shanghai, until they moved to Texas in the early 2000s.

With two red-headed children, Sawyer and Natasha, and one red labradoodle, Red had the picture-perfect suburban life. That was until … her husband got fired. What had seemed like a fairy tale life soon unraveled to reveal something far from it.

Years later, it ended up having a happy ending, as Red says, “It was the best thing that ever happened to me.”

If you think today’s politics are ugly … let’s talk about a man who named himself “dictator for life” of the Roman empire, and is then assassinated by a group of senators, including his best friend. (However, there’s a “pretty” part – Cleopatra was his mistress.) Food trivia and leadership lessons aside, the fact July is named after him is the perfect excuse to rerun one of Red’s favorite Banter Bites

Quick! If someone says "Julius Caesar," what comes to mind?

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Almost everyone has heard of Julius Caesar, but how many of us really know much about him, or at least that's what Red starts to wonder when she receives the usual flippant, but still accurate, reply from her sister, after feeling very proud that she knew that July was named after the famous Roman.

Keep Reading ...Show less

Pragmatic and blunt? Yes, with more than a hint of sarcasm. Unlike her sister, Mandy Williams (aka “Black”) is all business. With an MBA in International Finance from NYU and London Business School, Black was a driven executive who retired from the male-dominated oil and gas industry before she was 40. Boredom quickly set in, so she began racing Porsches, then Ferraris, and became the first woman to race the road course at Indianapolis.

Living in Texas, Black has been involved with the local chapter of the Make-A-Wish Foundation for decades and has raised over $1 million.

Black often says, “You have two choices in life – you can be the passenger along for the ride, or the driver and steer where you want to go.”