The story of how we "ended up in prison" is one we're often asked to tell, and we think this column (first published in February 2013) does a good job of doing that …

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Coming up with this month's topic and title was easy. Figuring out how to explain it may be a little more complicated.

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

No kidding. Every time we meet with Chaplain Watkins and she tells us about the men she works with and how they've reacted to our book, I'm left speechless.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

That, in itself, is fairly amazing.

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

Cute. But if anyone had told us when we wrote our book that it would end up in a men's prison and that offenders would not only be reading the book, but enjoying it, learning from it, and sharing the lessons in it with their families, I'd have said they were crazy.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

I believe that is what you called me when I told you that we were going to be speakers at the National Prisoner's Family Conference last February.

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

No. I thought you were kidding. Remember, YOUR business plan was that the book would be the basis of a sitcom. Not a Texas-approved textbook.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

That might not have been our plan but, as you know, life rarely goes according to plan.

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

There's an understatement. But at the time, I thought it was just another one of your "outside the box" ideas. Way outside the box. However, once we spoke at the conference, and started learning more about the prison world, I realized there was a huge need for this information.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

You are conveniently forgetting that initially you were fairly negative about it.

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

Yes, I was. My attitude was that prisoners had done something wrong, so they deserved to be in prison. I had no desire to help them. My heart was with the students, and trying to get our book and its "real life" lessons into the schools.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

I understand. I would venture to guess that most people feel that way. On the surface, it seems logical.

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

Of course, you saw it differently.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Maybe more pragmatically. And then I started doing research. What really got my attention was the Children's Defense Fund's, "Cradle To Prison Pipeline" report. It explains all the contributing factors that feed that pipeline. And how education is a critical key to changing the trajectory of these lives.

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

What got my attention was the concept that you can calculate how many prison beds will be needed in the future based on children who can't read on grade level by the fourth grade.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

It makes perfect sense … once you stop and think about it.

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

But it's not something you would typically think about. But then again, you rarely do the typical thing. Like the time you asked me what I was doing on a Friday night, and I thought you wanted to go to a movie. It never dawned on me that you were inviting me to "go to prison" with you and the founder of Wings Ministry.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

And you found every excuse in the book not to go.

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

I'm a single mom. Heading off to a prison is not something I'd feel safe doing. And I wondered about your logic, but didn't want to ask.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

There is only one way to get first-hand knowledge. I wanted to see what I had only read about. However, I was not prepared for what I discovered.

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

I remember you telling me that it was like a scene out of the old "Get Smart" TV series, with the long corridor and the locking doors.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Architecturally, it was built in 1908 and is beautiful. Although initially intimidating, once I met some of the men it became very "human." They were truly appreciative of my being there, as so many of them feel the outside world has forgotten them. And once the chaplain heard about our book she was anxious to read it.

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

What I still find hard to believe was that she mentioned that Stringfellow Unit is the only prison in Texas that has a kosher kitchen! I remember telling you that in this instance, G-d was not being subtle. There was clearly a reason that this was the first prison you ever visited.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

I believe the word is beschert.

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

Well, a lot has happened since then. Chaplain Watkins not only had our book/program "approved," but also completed two pilot book clubs with 50+ men, and has already started a third. Even Sawyer, who is only 10, was surprised by the feedback from the men who have completed the program. Her exact quote was, "Wow!"

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

What I find fascinating is how many of these men are connecting the dots between how not understanding personal finance causes stress, and then realizing how it can lead to drugs and/or alcohol. And how "all of the above" contributes to bad decisions.

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

Obviously, they're finding the "life lessons" I learned as a 40+ year-old to be extremely important as they're saying they want to share the book with their families. I'm moved by their statements that they want their wives, their children, to learn what they're learning.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Well, according to Chaplain Watkins, their actions are matching their words. They are writing home about it, and a few even said they were going to send the book home.

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

I know. But my favorite story is the man who now turns off the water when he brushes his teeth. It sounds like such a small thing, but it says so much once you learn that he's doing it to because he recognizes he'll be living with someone when he gets out and doesn't want to waste their money. He wants to start today to make it a good habit for the future.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

It is all about taking control of your life, versus letting your life control you. It is what I told you when Nick got fired. And it is what we tell students.

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

But in this case, I can't help but wonder how many lives are being touched – not only the offenders, but their families, their friends, their communities. Not to mention, what if some of the men who have read our book now start making better decisions. And once released, don't return to prison.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Exactly. Just imagine the money that would save taxpayers. The cost of Texas state prisons is about $22,000 per person per year, which works out to $60 a day. Our book costs less than half a day in prison. So if it has the potential to actually make a difference in their lives and their future decisions, it seems like a small investment … with huge upside potential. To me, it is a no-brainer.

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

I was thinking more about the family environment, but your numbers make perfect sense. Unfortunately, just because something makes sense, doesn't mean it's going to happen. Just take a look at the education system. And what we've been trying to do for over three years now with limited success.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

I know. It is extremely frustrating. But one day it will be ironic.

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

What do you mean?

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Besides the fact it is much cheaper to educate than incarcerate (average cost for a year of public education in Texas is about $8,700 per student compared to the $22,000 cited above; nationally, the numbers are around $11,000 and $31,000, respectively), one day I expect to ask the question, "Why is it that these critical life lessons are being taught in prisons, but not in our schools?"

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

Well, that should get Austin's attention.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Austin? I was thinking Washington, D.C. And, it needs to do more than that. It needs to get everyone's attention. Especially voters.

If there were an Olympic medal for love and inspiration, Tank Schottle would hold the record for most gold medals.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: In this crazy world that we live in, sometimes simple, positive messages can easily get lost in all the "noise" … but they're there, and sometimes even the most pragmatic people (that'd be Black) feel the need to share them (much to Red's surprise).

Keep Reading ... Show less
RED+BLACK - Girls Can Do Anything!

There's no telling what may have led up to this banter between Red and Black, but it's safe to say that Black has ALWAYS felt this way. Which is probably why from an early age she always wanted to be "That Girl"!

Curious about the "Back Story" to our animation teasers? Red's daughter, Sawyer, told us we needed to do some very short animated "teasers" … so Black said, "Great. You want to work in video production. Take the final working versions of our animation and start creating them!" So, she did!

P.S. – For those of you who've met us or seen us at speaking engagements, we'd love to know if you think the animators have accurately captured us! (You can email us at Banter@RedandBlackBooks.com.)

FULL QUESTION: Why are some people talking trash about Olympic gymnast Simone Biles withdrawing from Olympic events?

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

Honestly, I didn't even know they were. At first, I think we were all in shock when Simone withdrew after she didn't complete the vault as planned , but almost immediately, there was an incredible outpouring of support. And not only from former Olympians, like Michael Phelps who has long spoken of his mental health challenges, but from a wide range of people, including mental health experts, newscasters, celebrities, and even politicians.

I'll admit that initially I questioned her decision because she had competed in previous Olympics, so I assumed she was used to the pressure. But then, the more I read, the more I learned, and the more impressed I became. Because she makes it look so easy, it's easy to forget that you can seriously injure yourself if your head isn't in the game. Finally, when I read what she said at the press conference, I came to see how her decision was the right one, not just for herself but as an example to all of us.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

I am aware of some of the despicable things being said, and although people have the right to their opinion, I refuse to give them "airtime" by mentioning them by name. These media "personalities" (I do not consider them journalists or even commentators) seem to say what they do solely to stir things up, and get ratings and coverage. Whether they actually believe these things or not, who knows? Unfortunately, many of them have large (and loyal) followings who are easily (mindlessly?) persuaded.

They are quick to criticize someone who has accomplished so much more with their life than they ever will, but maybe not in the obvious way … Simone Biles may be the GOAT in gymnastics, but her greatest accomplishment may be in shining an extremely bright light, seen worldwide, on the importance of mental health.