Banter Bites

High-Tech Directions On A Low-Tech Journey?

Is there a right and wrong way to get from point A to point B?

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Red prefers hard-copy maps and printed directions, mostly because she’s not exactly a fan of technology, but while Black’s more tech-savvy, she knows technology is great … when it works.

For Red, it’s partly because old habits die hard, and she’ll usually find ways to rationalize them. But it might also be the straight-A student in her, as when it comes to driving somewhere new (whether an hour down the road or a 12+ hour journey), she insists on not only printing out maps and directions but studying them to have a good idea of exactly where she’s going. She’s just not willing to wait for some electronic “voice” or map on the dashboard to tell her where to go.

In fact, before Red drove her daughter from Houston to Nashville to start college, she first visited her local AAA to get printed TripTiks. And although she didn’t download the app, she wondered if the electronic versions were as specific and detail-oriented as the paper versions – which were almost more than she needed. But she admitted,

I like being old school. I like knowing I have something tangible to help me if all else fails. Especially since I don’t trust technology because your phone can die or you can lose connectivity.

Black knew exactly what Red was talking about because that’s what happened when we were traveling to Silsbee, Texas (don’t feel bad if you haven’t heard of it, it’s about 100 miles from Houston, and we had never heard of it) to give what ended up being one of our most memorable presentations at the high school. Red was driving while Black was playing navigator, when suddenly Black announced,

You know how your precious paper maps were too vague? Well, we have now fallen off the iPad!

That’s when critical thinking came into play … as we spotted a big yellow school bus and decided to follow it!

We were able to enjoy the rural scenery (ok, Red enjoyed it, Black just wanted to “get there”), but it made us realize that technology usually focuses on the most efficient or direct route, not necessarily the most scenic or interesting way. And, it turns out, more and more people are turning to physical maps, with some even discovering old-fashioned maps for the first time.

And while Red enjoys this feeling of vindication for sticking to her old-fashioned way of “doing” directions, Black prefers to look at the bigger picture,

Sometimes the journey is as important as reaching the destination.

No matter what holiday you may celebrate, Red can’t help but quote a line from one of her favorite Christmas songs, “Have yourself a merry little Christmas. Let your heart be light. From now on, your troubles will be out of sight.”

And Black can’t help but point out that the song wasn’t introduced in a Christmas movie but in the movie "Meet Me In St. Louis."

Wishing you a merry everything and a happy always!

This is one of Red’s favorite Banter Bites in large part because of Black’s “corny” puns, but also because fresh corn is a summer staple – whether cooked on the grill or in the microwave, whether eaten on its own or as a primary ingredient in refreshing summer salads

This may be one of the corniest things you’ll ever read.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: It’s just a vegetable, so how can it possibly elicit such a strong reaction from Red, while, for Black, it’s more a source of amusement and even, it turns out, admiration?

Keep Reading ...Show less

Think you can avoid artificial intelligence? Think again …

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Red already fights technology at every turn, preferring to keep her ostrich head in the sand, plus, she finds Artificial Intelligence (AI) scary; whereas Black knows ignoring reality merely postpones the inevitable, so she’s started playing with AI to understand it better …

Keep Reading ...Show less