Design by Sawyer Pennington

People have told us they're using our sisterly banter to start conversations with others (family, friends, and even in classrooms), so Black created "Conversation Starters". Stay tuned as we'll be introducing new topics on a regular basis!

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

I know you don't like to look back, but humor me. Years ago, when my husband got fired, do you remember how I struggled with having him home ALL the time, plus all the stress and emotions of the situation? And the fear of the unknown? Well, thanks to the pandemic, I feel like it's happening all over again! However, this time, I'm a single mom and it's not only impacting the girls but also Mom. I know this is an extremely difficult time for all of us, but I feel like no one understands the pressure I'm under. Especially as I'm trying to "hold it all together" for everyone! And before you say anything … I'm not asking for sympathy, because we all know you don't "do" sympathy.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Actually, I do not think that you want sympathy. I think you want empathy. You want me – and others – to understand how you are feeling. Not to feel sorry for you. And, I venture to guess everyone you are dealing with feels the same way. The pandemic is affecting people in many different ways – health concerns, financial problems, the loss of routine, loneliness, the list goes on-and-on. The fact you are typically warm and fuzzy, means you are probably even more emotional than usual. Which makes it especially challenging – for you, and all of us around you.

THE CONVERSATION STARTERS
  • What's the difference between sympathy and empathy?
  • When your significant other, family member, friend, or co-worker are going through something major, how can you be helpful and work together vs. driving each other crazy?
Design by Sawyer Pennington

People have told us they're using our sisterly banter to start conversations with others (family, friends, and even in classrooms), so Black created "Conversation Starters". Stay tuned as we'll be introducing new topics on a regular basis!

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

I have to tell you, the last eight months have definitely been challenging. On just about every front. You've probably read how the coronavirus is putting a strain on relationships – and that's without anyone in the same household or family being diagnosed with it! I know there's a list of major life events that cause stress, things like marriage, buying a new home, and getting fired, but that list never before included pandemics!

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Relationships – whether significant others, family, friends, or even the workplace – take effort even when things are going well. A pandemic (or any major life event) impacts all aspects of our lives, so we just have to work even harder – especially in terms of communications. Obviously, living with others creates its own challenges. Which may explain why I live alone …

THE CONVERSATION STARTERS

  • What makes a relationship successful when "life is good"?
  • When life is "not as good" does the relationship change? Or, does the situation or circumstances change?
  • Why do common everyday problems seem magnified during uncommon times? Why do financial matters and topics seem so daunting?

Well, my younger daughter, Sawyer, is a high school senior. And it's November. Which means that we're in the midst of the college application process. It's exciting. It's also very stressful. So, I thought I'd share a few tips that I've recently learned in the hope you'll find them useful. But first a disclaimer!

People have told us they're using our sisterly banter to start conversations with others (family, friends, and even in classrooms), so Black created "Conversation Starters". Stay tuned as we'll be introducing new topics on a regular basis!

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

I'll never forget how scared I was when I was forced to deal with our financial mess. And that was before I knew where we stood financially! It was a perfect storm. I was afraid of the unknown – both in terms of I didn't know where we stood financially plus I didn't know anything about personal finance. Yes, I was a 40+ year old woman with a college degree from a great university. But that didn't stop me from feeling stupid.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

As I told you at the time, there is a huge difference between being stupid – and being sheltered. You went from living with our parents to living with your husband, and had always let other people handle the money. The reality is that even people who should know better make careless mistakes when it comes to money. I have an undergraduate degree in Economics and a M.B.A. and still managed to get in debt over my head. The key is you are never too young – or too old – to take responsibility for your financial life.

THE CONVERSATION STARTERS
  • Why do financial matters and topics seem so daunting?
  • What do you think is the best way to learn about personal finance?
  • What do you think is the most important skill to have in order to successfully handle your money?