Words & Banter

RED & BLACK ... Stop. Think. Enjoy.

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

Well, it seems I barely got the Thanksgiving decorations put away and I was putting out Chanukah menorahs. Which means the year's almost over. Where did it go?

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

You say that every year. But this year, I think everyone wants the year to be over.

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

Now there's an understatement! But I still love this time of year. I just wish I could enjoy it more, but I know that the days will just fly by. Chanukah comes mid-month and I'll barely be able to celebrate it before making sure that I'm prepared for Christmas and then New Year.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

That is the holiday tradition, exhaust yourself getting "ready" for the holidays. Then, try your best to actually enjoy the holiday, which will be a challenge unto itself given the pandemic. And then, feel relief, and maybe a little sadness, when it is over.

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

You sound like a modern-day Scrooge.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

If that were the case, I would have mentioned the people who go through the holiday season feeling overwhelmed, lonely, or even depressed. Which is probably more this year than usual.

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

You're not helping the situation. I'm already feeling overwhelmed. Between parenting, work, and managing the challenges of the coronavirus, the holidays just add more things to my already long to-do list with deadlines that can't slide.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought the holiday season was supposed to be about spending quality time with family and friends. A time of fun and joy. Of giving and sharing. Of hope. And, maybe even magical. And, yes, I appreciate that the pandemic will require being creative, but it can still be done.

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

What's going on? You're talking about feelings! You're supposed to be the pragmatic one.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

No need to be concerned. Remember, I am the one who can talk about relationships and take emotions out of the picture.

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

Which always makes me laugh. You're truly the only person I've ever known who can use bullet points to explain relationships.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

But, do they make sense?

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

Yes, but what does that have to do with the holidays?

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Everything. Think about it.

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

I hate when you won't just answer my question.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

No, you hate when I make you think. Do you remember the first bullet point?

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

Yes. It's about understanding your values and priorities – totally independent of the other person. But the holidays are about giving and sharing. They're about family and friends. Even you said that.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

True. But, first you have to get back to basics and determine what is important to you. Otherwise, you get too wrapped up in all the details and forget the big picture. And, it is all the details which cause the stress and fatigue.

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

No kidding. Tell me about it.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

One thing leads to another on your list. Then you start adding things you would like to do if you have the time, which somehow become things you feel you have to do. The next thing you know, you have totally unrealistic expectations. Layer on top the over-commercialization of the holiday season and you now are set up for failure instead of success. And, that does not even address the financial aspects, and associated stress, of the holidays.

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

When I said, "Tell me about it," I was agreeing with you -- not really asking you to tell me about it.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Too late now. You know how literal I can be. Lists aside, can you think of one or two things that you look forward to every holiday season?

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

That's easy. The first is I always make a conscious effort to spend more time with the girls. It can be as simple as just watching TV with Sawyer or FaceTiming with Natasha. The second is making a little time for me, which this year will mean being creative since I can't escape to the movies.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

We both know it is not the movie – it is the movie popcorn. Anyway, the answer is "yes." Now, can you think of one or two unimportant things that are on your holiday to-do list just because they have always been on your list?

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

Yes. Definitely more than one or two.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Does your list have any of those "it would be nice if I had spare time" items that you know will not happen?

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

Of course, it does. I see what you're doing. You're making me admit that even though I understand and talk about focusing on what's really important, I sometimes forget to stop and think about it.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

I was not asking for an admission of guilt, I was merely helping you remember to … Stop. Think. And, most importantly … Enjoy.

Photo by Nednappa for iStock

How you celebrate July 4th may change from year to year (Red will still enjoy a quiet holiday, but this year will be reading as it may take all summer to get through “War and Peace”), but what should never change is remembering WHY (one of Black’s favorite words) we celebrate as well as the sacrifices made to live in a free country …

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

This is going to be a very unusual July 4 th for me, with neither girl being home. Natasha always hated the fireworks, but Sawyer would insist we do all the traditional things – barbequing, lots of watermelon, and then watching the fireworks in the Texas heat and humidity. So, this year, I plan to make it a really “cool” holiday … staying in the air-conditioned house, watching a movie or one of my TV series, and celebrating my day of independence from any “mom” responsibilities with a big bucket of freshly popped popcorn!

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Well, everyone celebrates differently. But, when I think of Independence Day, I think about the challenges our Founding Fathers faced when they drafted the Declaration of Independence , especially as they did not always agree on issues. Challenges our nation continues to face (it is a holiday, so I will not get into the increasingly divisive aspects of politics). And, I cannot help but wonder how many people realize the extent of the sacrifices made by those who signed it in exchange for our country’s freedom. Which is why, as we celebrate July 4th, we need to remember,
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
Photo by nycshooter on iStock
What do you get when you cross Flag Day (June 14) with June being Effective Communication Month? Well, if you include Black in the mix, you get one of Red’s favorite memories … and a unique way to think about the importance of communicating – whether in your personal or professional life. And especially if you’re in a racecar!

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

This past weekend, I noticed a bunch of flags on my street and wondered why since July 4 th is still almost a month away. But this morning, I learned that today's Flag Day.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Well, for someone who likes to decorate for the holidays, I would have thought you would have known all about it.

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

I've heard of it, but I never really thought much about it, let alone when it is. I knew it had to do with the American flag, but it surprised me that it has nothing to do with Betsy Ross, which legend has made the first flag, although it seems there's no evidence to support that.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

If you want an interesting "story", read about why the American flag is called Old Glory . Regardless, the American flag, like all flags, communicates a message.

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

I know you like to connect odd dots, but only you would see a connection between flags and communications.
Keep Reading ...Show less
Photo by John Gomez on iStock

There’s much debate about the role America should play in world politics and standing by our allies, and we can’t help but wonder … how many people look at history before forming their opinions? Which is why we feel so strongly about remembering D-Day (and are rerunning the post below), which is about so much more than just a day …

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

I still can’t believe you didn’t know what D-Day was.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

All I knew was it had to do with World War II and beaches. And, required lots of strategic planning. Remember, I am not a history buff like you.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Or a movie buff. There has been an assortment of D-Day movies, and I wouldn’t expect you to have watched the older movies, like “ The Longest Day” with John Wayne, but I figured you’d have seen “ Saving Private Ryan .”

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

The Tom Hanks movie? It was a great war movie, but from what I remember, it was about the search for a particular soldier during WWII. Although I remember the opening scene showed the horrors of war. Regardless, I do not get my “history” from movies that might take literary license for the sake of storytelling, even if Steven Spielberg’s movies are mostly accurate.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

That opening scene WAS D-Day.
Keep Reading ...Show less