Words & Banter

What Is It About That Girl ... Wanting Equality?

ABC/Entertainment Pictures/ZUMA Wire/Alamy Live News

In honor of Women's Equality Day (celebrated on the anniversary of the ratification of the 19th Amendmentwhich granted women the right to vote), we immediately thought of one of our favorite posts, written by Black and originally titled "What Is It About That Girl?" And then Black realized that when "That Girl" went off the air in 1971 (with a Women's Lib episode and a great opening), women were fighting for equality. Now 50 years later, and we're still fighting for equality!

So, whether you're all business (like Black) or all warm and fuzzy (like Red), all women owe a debt of gratitude to "those girls" who fought so hard (and to those who are still fighting) so that we can enjoy more freedom and opportunities today … and, one day, achieve full equality!

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

It probably was not the answer Red was expecting when she asked me, "Growing up, what woman influenced you most?" My reply? "That Girl." For those of you who might not remember the sitcom that ran from 1966-1971, "That Girl" was Ann Marie, played by Marlo Thomas. This was in the days before the internet or cable television. (When you had to get up and turn the dial on the television to change channels, and there were only a handful of channels.) And, I did not realize it until decades later, Thomas had formed her own production company, Daisy Productions, to produce and own the series.

I will not get into how television influences our perception of the world. But, I will say that up until that point in time, women in prime-time sitcoms were either someone's wife, someone's mother, someone's secretary – but never someone independent. Until "That Girl." She was an aspiring actress living on her own in the big city, New York City, so it was easy for me to relate as I grew up just a short train ride away on Long Island.

I was about 9 years old when the series started so, initially, had no idea that the size of her apartment or her fantastic wardrobe was unrealistic for a struggling actress. But, it introduced me, much to my mom's dismay, to being fashionable (as did a neighbor who worked as a saleswoman at a high-end women's store), resulting in my first budget (that is a separate story that still amuses me). And, ultimately, it led me to start working when I was a teenager so that I would have money of my own.

"That Girl" focused on a single woman's dreams and aspirations. A woman who was ambitious. Willing to try new things and willing to fail. But, what made her truly revolutionary was that she made it acceptable to prioritize work over marriage or children, proclaiming, "But I don't want to get married!" Which, growing up, became my mantra.

In the last season, she got engaged to her long-time boyfriend, but the final episode of the series was not them getting married, but about them going to a Women's Liberation meeting. I can remember it as if it was yesterday, wondering at what point she would ultimately call off the engagement. It was not that I believed she would never get married; it was that the timing was not right. She first needed to establish her independence.

And, I was determined to be "That Girl."

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

As much of a history buff as I am, I’m embarrassed to admit that for a long time, I didn’t know March was Women’s History Month. But now that I do, I’m amazed by all the inspirational stories of women’s remarkable achievements.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Too bad Natasha and Sawyer do not still live at home; it would be fun to start a conversation by asking them what women they find inspiring.

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

I already know who they would pick. The first woman to race the road course at Indianapolis Motor Speedway. And I’d have to agree with them. Your Ferrari racing has made an impact on so many people. But especially girls.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Until you mentioned it several years ago, I never thought about that. In the 1970s, I was one of the few women in business school. I then made a career in the male-dominated oil and gas industry. I am used to being a “token” female.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Trust me. I watch people whenever we’ve done speaking engagements. It’s predictable ... we put up the family tree, and Natasha and Sawyer get awws, but your two racecars get everyone’s attention.
Keep Reading ...Show less
Image by filipefrazao on iStock

Were you like Red and shocked when the actor Chadwick Boseman died at the age of 43 after battling colon cancer for years? Cancer isn’t only for older people, and recent studies show more people under 50 are getting cancer. (Doctors aren’t sure why but suspect it may be due to less physical activity, more highly processed foods, and new toxins.) That’s why cancer screenings are more important than ever!

February may be Cancer Prevention Month – but we need to do it all year! Every year. And is why we’re rerunning last year’s post …

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

I know that cancer isn’t the “death sentence” it used to be when we were growing up, but it’s still a very scary word. Especially if it’s heard “close to home”.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

When we were young, the word was rarely said. And if it was, it was whispered or referred to as the “ c-word.”

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Kind of like when I had my two miscarriages. No one wanted even to acknowledge, let alone talk about, them. Which made it all the more difficult to get through it, although intellectually, I knew it was not uncommon.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Unfortunately, neither is cancer. It is the second-leading cause of death in the world, surpassed only by heart disease. But, at least, it is no longer a taboo subject.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Please don’t make this about numbers. It’s about people. Which you should know. I’m sure you remember when Daddy was diagnosed with parotid gland cancer , which luckily was treatable. And I’ve had skin cancer, although I was very fortunate, it was caught early and easily treated.
Keep Reading ...Show less
Image by farakos on iStock

Even though Red’sthe warm and fuzzy one and Black’s extremely pragmatic, we both think of hearts on Valentine’s Day. Just not in quite the same way …

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Happy Valentine’s Day. And before you say anything, yes, I know you don’t celebrate holidays, so just humor me.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

But, I do “celebrate” February being American Heart Month since heart disease is the leading cause of death – for both men and women.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Gee, that’s one way to turn a “fun” holiday into a real downer. Today’s supposed to be about letting people you love and care about know that you’re thinking of them. Think Hallmark cards, squishy teddy bears, chocolate hearts.
Keep Reading ...Show less