Once upon a time, entering your senior years was the beginning of the end, but today, it's just the beginning of the next chapter!

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Being "old" is a relative term based on how old you are, how old you feel, and how other people see you; in our case, young people may think of Red as a warm and fuzzy "older" mom but when they think of Black probably wonder, "What's she up to now?!"

Red's 59th birthday is days away, and she's not sure if that means she has only a year before "officially" becoming a senior citizen. (She doesn't count that AARP starts providing "senior" benefits to members as young as 50.) But lately has been thinking of the expression, "Youth is wasted on the young." Something that she never really understood when she was, well, young, but has started to appreciate more and more with each passing year,

What do they say about 60 being the new 40? Well, I agree. And the stereotypes I had of old people when I was young have totally changed, except on those nights when I'm exhausted and wonder who that "old lady" is in the mirror. Growing up, I never equated being 55+ (why does that sound so much younger than "almost 60") with being a very busy mom and being in a business partnership with my sister. But here I am. And loving it!

A five-year age difference between us seemed significant when we were kids, but the older we get, the smaller it seems. Although, sometimes Red still likes to point out that she's the younger sister. Of course, Black quickly responds with, "Yes, I am older, but I am also wiser." And, on the surface, that might seem sarcastic, but she sees it pragmatically,

Sometimes older is better. Like fine wine, vintage cars, and classic movies. And, lifelong learners. Because with age comes experience (and ideally, wisdom), and the older we get, the more we have to share. But, also the more we can learn from younger people. A few years ago, I learned about the Encore organization, which sees older people as role models and mentors, and provides opportunities for multiple generations to work together, learn from each other, and create a better future for everyone.

Today's National Senior Citizens Day, so whether you're a senior citizen and/or want to show your appreciation for the "seniors" in your life, please make sure to celebrate. And, for the occasion, we found these great quotes about getting older.

P.S. – We'll be taking a one-week summer hiatus beginning Monday, August 23, but please scroll down our homepage as we'll be featuring carefully selected "reruns"!

Happy Meals. Lasik surgery. A Supreme Court justice. Any idea what these three things have in common?

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Although Hispanic Heritage Month started in 1968 as a week-long event, Red, the straight-A student and lover of history, is a bit embarrassed that she didn't know about it, but the theater major in her realizes they're under-represented (and misrepresented) in the movies. When we talked about the comparison of "In The Heights" to "West Side Story," Black wasn't only focused on the business aspects but also how it reflects the times, and now is interested in the many contributions (including patents) made by Latinx, and the need for inclusion and diversity.

P.S. – We were both curious why the month-long celebration begins mid-month (September 15) and discovered it's in honor of the anniversaries of national independence for many Latin American countries.

Can something be "new" if it's made with "old" ingredients?

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Black's fascinated by the business and marketing aspects of food mash-ups (especially the multi-generational angle), while Red's excited that her beloved Dunkin' has collaborated with Post Cereals and there's now Dunkin' cereal (and both of us love the tag line, "Now you can have your coffee and eat it, too!). Funny thing is that we've all probably been doing our own "mash-ups" for years (ok, maybe not Black).

As the song says, "They say the neon lights are bright on Broadway, they say there's always magic in the air on Broadway" … and now it's all coming back!

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Although we live in Texas, we're originally from New York, and as different as we are, one thing we have in common is a love of Broadway, so we're excited about the re-opening of Broadway, even if for very different reasons.

Keep Reading ... Show less