Once upon a time, entering your senior years was the beginning of the end, but today, it's just the beginning of the next chapter!

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Being "old" is a relative term based on how old you are, how old you feel, and how other people see you; in our case, young people may think of Red as a warm and fuzzy "older" mom but when they think of Black probably wonder, "What's she up to now?!"

Red's 59th birthday is days away, and she's not sure if that means she has only a year before "officially" becoming a senior citizen. (She doesn't count that AARP starts providing "senior" benefits to members as young as 50.) But lately has been thinking of the expression, "Youth is wasted on the young." Something that she never really understood when she was, well, young, but has started to appreciate more and more with each passing year,

What do they say about 60 being the new 40? Well, I agree. And the stereotypes I had of old people when I was young have totally changed, except on those nights when I'm exhausted and wonder who that "old lady" is in the mirror. Growing up, I never equated being 55+ (why does that sound so much younger than "almost 60") with being a very busy mom and being in a business partnership with my sister. But here I am. And loving it!

A five-year age difference between us seemed significant when we were kids, but the older we get, the smaller it seems. Although, sometimes Red still likes to point out that she's the younger sister. Of course, Black quickly responds with, "Yes, I am older, but I am also wiser." And, on the surface, that might seem sarcastic, but she sees it pragmatically,

Sometimes older is better. Like fine wine, vintage cars, and classic movies. And, lifelong learners. Because with age comes experience (and ideally, wisdom), and the older we get, the more we have to share. But, also the more we can learn from younger people. A few years ago, I learned about the Encore organization, which sees older people as role models and mentors, and provides opportunities for multiple generations to work together, learn from each other, and create a better future for everyone.

Today's National Senior Citizens Day, so whether you're a senior citizen and/or want to show your appreciation for the "seniors" in your life, please make sure to celebrate. And, for the occasion, we found these great quotes about getting older.

P.S. – We'll be taking a one-week summer hiatus beginning Monday, August 23, but please scroll down our homepage as we'll be featuring carefully selected "reruns"!

National holidays aren’t the time to count calories.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: We both agree that happiness has a hole in it, although one of us may only eat one bagel a year while the other tries to keep it to only one bagel when she does indulge.

Keep Reading ... Show less

A day to clean up your desk?! It will take way more than a day …

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: No one is immune from piles of paper, not even Black, the master of organization, but there’s a huge difference between a desk with a few small piles and some scattered papers (although her laptop’s keyboard needs serious cleaning) and Red’s “workroom” that usually looks like a tornado hit it.

Which is why Red rolled her eyes when Black mentioned today’s National Clean Your Desk Day, as it’d take her significantly more than a day to “clean up this mess,” but then she remembered Black’s advice on how to keep her piles (and piles) of paper under control and felt inspired. Red admits often feeling like she’s drowning in paper, but that’s because she lets the piles get out of control before reminding herself of Black’s very easy, straightforward approach to turning her mountains of paper into small manageable hills. And, significantly reducing stress along the way, because as Black points out,

Sometimes, it is more important to know what you are ignoring than it is to deal with everything in the piles.

Last year, it was a day of despair and disbelief, but also one of hope and pride … this year, the feelings of hope and pride seem to have disappeared.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: If possible, the concerns and feelings of despair and disbelief we had a year ago about the January 6 Capitol riots are even stronger today as there’s more video footage, photographs, and first-hand testimony. While there’s no denying there was bloodshed and lives lost at the Capitol, some may debate, usually influenced by their political beliefs, the ramifications of the day. But as Black alluded to when it first happened – you can’t help but question whether Democracy will prevail long-term … because last year, the world witnessed something most people would never have thought possible in the United States of America.

Today, there will be events and speeches commemorating this “Day of Infamy,” and we hope that, as the Speaker of the House stated in her Press Release about specific events at the Capitol,

These events are intended as an observance of reflection, remembrance, and recommitment, in a spirit of unity, patriotism, and prayerfulness.