Memory Lane

Saturday Morning Cartoons … Decades Ago

Underlying image from White Mountain Puzzles

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

Every Saturday morning when we post one of our animations it reminds me of growing up in New York and watching cartoons on Saturday mornings.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Careful, you are showing your age. That was back when there were only a handful of television channels and they had specific lineups, including Saturday mornings full of children's programming. It was long before there was the Cartoon Network. And, well before you could stream cartoons or watch them on smart phones.

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

I don't want the history of cartoons; I want to reminisce about the simpler times. I remember sitting in front of our black and white TV in the playroom with a bowl full of cereal watching my favorite cartoons.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

I remember Mom had all the cereal on the bottom shelf of a kitchen cabinet so that we could make our own breakfast.

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

Yes, and I tried so hard not to spill any milk but invariably did.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Well, that may explain why I have always eaten my cereal dry. And, often straight out of the box.

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

Gee, you were efficient even as a kid? Although, I have a hard time imagining you sugar loading on cereal and watching cartoons. Anyway, I can't remember us ever watching cartoons together.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

You are five years younger than me which, at that age, was a huge difference. Plus, we probably did not like the same shows. What did you watch?

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

That's easy! The Flintstones, Magilla Gorilla, and Mister Magoo.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

The Flintstones was one of my favorites. That and The Jetsons. Did you know that The Flintstones started out as an animated show for adults? And, was the first animated show to air on primetime?

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

You really are determined to give me the history of cartoons, aren't you?

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

You brought up The Flintstones, not me. Anyway, the show's creators, William Hanna and Joseph Barbera, had created Tom and Jerry, and were certain there was a market for adult animation given the success of relationship-based sitcoms. Shows like I Love Lucy, The Honeymooners, The Donna Reed Show.

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

Isn't that the same logic you used when you thought you could turn my crisis into a relationship-based sitcom?

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Yes. Especially when I realized there was an entire cast of supporting characters. But, we never would have hired an animation firm if Hasbro had not suggested it when we met with them.

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

True. Regardless, I love that we post our animations on Saturday mornings. It's like going full circle!

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

That is fine … as long as cereal is optional.

‘Tis the season for joyous celebrations – of whatever holiday you may celebrate. And fond memories. Even though Red wasn’t born when this happened, it’s still one of her holiday favorites (yes, she initially thought Black must have been on the “naughty list”) and a reminder of what the holidays are truly all about.

BLACK: I do not know at what age my Christmas memories began, but I do remember being very young and in awe of a very large – and very well decorated – Christmas tree in our family room. I even remember peeking down the stairs late one evening and seeing my mother standing extremely close to Santa Claus. OK, you might not find that an unusual memory, except my family is Jewish.

Keep Reading ...Show less
Photo by klohka on iStock

For those of you who have followed us for years, you know what’s coming … a naked turkey story. Because as soon as Black wrote it, it became a Thanksgiving tradition.

Black typically doesn’t reminisce, so her memories of a perfect turkey that made for a perfect Thanksgiving (for her) have become the perfect way for us to wish you a very Happy Thanksgiving. May your day be filled with family and friends and create memories that will last a lifetime.

Today is Thanksgiving, and I cannot help but wonder why we are online. However, everyone has their own way of celebrating. I know that Red is in the kitchen cooking – and watching a marathon of "The Godfather" movies. Which is perfect as turkeys take such a long time to cook and patience is important when you want it perfectly browned. So inviting, so appetizing, so … naked?

Keep Reading ...Show less
True
Photo by Red

It was one of those mindless questions, “What was your favorite childhood book?” And although I couldn’t answer the question, it brought back wonderful memories of my favorite book while I was still living at home. Which recently turned into a new tradition … and maybe the highlight of my summer …

Keep Reading ...Show less