Underlying image from White Mountain Puzzles

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

Every Saturday morning when we post one of our animations it reminds me of growing up in New York and watching cartoons on Saturday mornings.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Careful, you are showing your age. That was back when there were only a handful of television channels and they had specific lineups, including Saturday mornings full of children's programming. It was long before there was the Cartoon Network. And, well before you could stream cartoons or watch them on smart phones.

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

I don't want the history of cartoons; I want to reminisce about the simpler times. I remember sitting in front of our black and white TV in the playroom with a bowl full of cereal watching my favorite cartoons.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

I remember Mom had all the cereal on the bottom shelf of a kitchen cabinet so that we could make our own breakfast.

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

Yes, and I tried so hard not to spill any milk but invariably did.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Well, that may explain why I have always eaten my cereal dry. And, often straight out of the box.

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

Gee, you were efficient even as a kid? Although, I have a hard time imagining you sugar loading on cereal and watching cartoons. Anyway, I can't remember us ever watching cartoons together.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

You are five years younger than me which, at that age, was a huge difference. Plus, we probably did not like the same shows. What did you watch?

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

That's easy! The Flintstones, Magilla Gorilla, and Mister Magoo.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

The Flintstones was one of my favorites. That and The Jetsons. Did you know that The Flintstones started out as an animated show for adults? And, was the first animated show to air on primetime?

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

You really are determined to give me the history of cartoons, aren't you?

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

You brought up The Flintstones, not me. Anyway, the show's creators, William Hanna and Joseph Barbera, had created Tom and Jerry, and were certain there was a market for adult animation given the success of relationship-based sitcoms. Shows like I Love Lucy, The Honeymooners, The Donna Reed Show.

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

Isn't that the same logic you used when you thought you could turn my crisis into a relationship-based sitcom?

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Yes. Especially when I realized there was an entire cast of supporting characters. But, we never would have hired an animation firm if Hasbro had not suggested it when we met with them.

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

True. Regardless, I love that we post our animations on Saturday mornings. It's like going full circle!

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

That is fine … as long as cereal is optional.

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

The last few days have been beautiful fall weather, and I can't help but wonder – do you ever miss having your Ferrari convertible?

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Although some days are perfect convertible weather, given I barely drove it the last few years I owned it, averaging less than 50 miles a year, I can honestly say, "No." In fact, I cannot even remember the last time I drove it.

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

I can't help you with that, but I'll never forget the last day we taught at KIPP Houston High School, and you drove it there. You should've seen the student's faces as you were lowering the top on it.
Keep Reading ... Show less
Photo by Aneese on iStock

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

Thanks for sending me Natasha's Austin-inspired business plan. But while I know that's her future, I can't help but think about the first time I took her to Austin.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

All I remember is that it was love at first sight.

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

It was on our way home from taking Sawyer to camp, and I told her we were making a slight "detour". She was so excited when I pulled up to the hotel as she's always loved hotels. But that night, as we walked onto Congress Avenue Bridge and saw the thousands and thousands of bats fly out into the sunset, she was mesmerized and "in love".
Keep Reading ... Show less
Underlying photo by Alleko on iStock

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

I know that Yom Kippur isn't exactly known as one of the "fun" Jewish holidays, but every year I can't help but laugh at what's easily my number one Yom Kippur memory.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

That is what makes memories … memorable. And, finding something to laugh at on Yom Kippur, the Day of Atonement, which is probably the most important and solemn Jewish holiday, would be memorable.

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

I can't believe you're not even curious what it is!?
Keep Reading ... Show less