Underlying image from White Mountain Puzzles

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

Every Saturday morning when we post one of our animations it reminds me of growing up in New York and watching cartoons on Saturday mornings.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Careful, you are showing your age. That was back when there were only a handful of television channels and they had specific lineups, including Saturday mornings full of children's programming. It was long before there was the Cartoon Network. And, well before you could stream cartoons or watch them on smart phones.

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

I don't want the history of cartoons; I want to reminisce about the simpler times. I remember sitting in front of our black and white TV in the playroom with a bowl full of cereal watching my favorite cartoons.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

I remember Mom had all the cereal on the bottom shelf of a kitchen cabinet so that we could make our own breakfast.

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

Yes, and I tried so hard not to spill any milk but invariably did.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Well, that may explain why I have always eaten my cereal dry. And, often straight out of the box.

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

Gee, you were efficient even as a kid? Although, I have a hard time imagining you sugar loading on cereal and watching cartoons. Anyway, I can't remember us ever watching cartoons together.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

You are five years younger than me which, at that age, was a huge difference. Plus, we probably did not like the same shows. What did you watch?

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

That's easy! The Flintstones, Magilla Gorilla, and Mister Magoo.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

The Flintstones was one of my favorites. That and The Jetsons. Did you know that The Flintstones started out as an animated show for adults? And, was the first animated show to air on primetime?

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

You really are determined to give me the history of cartoons, aren't you?

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

You brought up The Flintstones, not me. Anyway, the show's creators, William Hanna and Joseph Barbera, had created Tom and Jerry, and were certain there was a market for adult animation given the success of relationship-based sitcoms. Shows like I Love Lucy, The Honeymooners, The Donna Reed Show.

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

Isn't that the same logic you used when you thought you could turn my crisis into a relationship-based sitcom?

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Yes. Especially when I realized there was an entire cast of supporting characters. But, we never would have hired an animation firm if Hasbro had not suggested it when we met with them.

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

True. Regardless, I love that we post our animations on Saturday mornings. It's like going full circle!

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

That is fine … as long as cereal is optional.

Photo of Red's beloved stuffed sheep

Photo by Red

I've always loved stuffed animals. And the softer and plusher, the better. They're like family. Only, in some ways, better, but I won't go down that road. Not today, anyway. Some children outgrow their love for stuffed animals (or do they just stopping admitting it?), but not me. And although I've stopped adding to my collection over the years (ok, make that decades), there are always those favorite ones that are loved just a little bit more, squeezed a little tighter, hugged a little longer.

Keep Reading ... Show less
Photo by Walik on iStock

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

It's funny. When the New York Islanders were in the semi-finals of the Stanley Cup, your post about how ice hockey brought back warm memories of you and Daddy, brought back a vivid memory for me, too.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

I have never known you to be interested in ice hockey. Full stop. Or, should that be "full hockey stop"?

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

Cute. And although we both skated as kids, and Daddy tried teaching me the hockey stop, I never could do it. But my memory has nothing to do with professional ice hockey or even skating. Instead, it's how you handled a bunch of high school ice hockey players.
Keep Reading ... Show less
Photo by Dave Phillips on Unsplash

I'm not sure where they come up with these "holidays" but today's National Creative Ice Cream Flavors Day … although I can't remember the first time I had a creative ice cream flavor. Growing up on Long Island in the 1960s, my ice cream memories are of your traditional flavors bought in non-descript half-gallon rectangle cartons (not even tubs) from the grocery store. Or, as a special treat or celebration, a coffee ice cream soda (not sure you'd consider "coffee" a "creative flavor") at Krisch's in downtown Massapequa, Long Island (it's still there!). Occasionally, I'd get an ice cream sundae at Friendly's, but I wasn't overly creative – vanilla ice cream, chocolate sauce, whipped cream, and extra cherries.

Keep Reading ... Show less