Underlying image from White Mountain Puzzles

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

Every Saturday morning when we post one of our animations it reminds me of growing up in New York and watching cartoons on Saturday mornings.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Careful, you are showing your age. That was back when there were only a handful of television channels and they had specific lineups, including Saturday mornings full of children's programming. It was long before there was the Cartoon Network. And, well before you could stream cartoons or watch them on smart phones.

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

I don't want the history of cartoons; I want to reminisce about the simpler times. I remember sitting in front of our black and white TV in the playroom with a bowl full of cereal watching my favorite cartoons.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

I remember Mom had all the cereal on the bottom shelf of a kitchen cabinet so that we could make our own breakfast.

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

Yes, and I tried so hard not to spill any milk but invariably did.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Well, that may explain why I have always eaten my cereal dry. And, often straight out of the box.

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

Gee, you were efficient even as a kid? Although, I have a hard time imagining you sugar loading on cereal and watching cartoons. Anyway, I can't remember us ever watching cartoons together.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

You are five years younger than me which, at that age, was a huge difference. Plus, we probably did not like the same shows. What did you watch?

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

That's easy! The Flintstones, Magilla Gorilla, and Mister Magoo.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

The Flintstones was one of my favorites. That and The Jetsons. Did you know that The Flintstones started out as an animated show for adults? And, was the first animated show to air on primetime?

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

You really are determined to give me the history of cartoons, aren't you?

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

You brought up The Flintstones, not me. Anyway, the show's creators, William Hanna and Joseph Barbera, had created Tom and Jerry, and were certain there was a market for adult animation given the success of relationship-based sitcoms. Shows like I Love Lucy, The Honeymooners, The Donna Reed Show.

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

Isn't that the same logic you used when you thought you could turn my crisis into a relationship-based sitcom?

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Yes. Especially when I realized there was an entire cast of supporting characters. But, we never would have hired an animation firm if Hasbro had not suggested it when we met with them.

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

True. Regardless, I love that we post our animations on Saturday mornings. It's like going full circle!

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

That is fine … as long as cereal is optional.
Photograph Courtesy of KIPP Houston Art School

We came across the photo above when updating our "About Education" section, and it brought back such fond memories. You may be thinking, "What? Are they calling those students guinea pigs???" Well, actually, yes. And before you think ill of us, please know that we use the term with great affection, deep gratitude, and utmost respect. And, these eight amazing seniors from the Class of 2010 know that's our nickname for them because ...

Promotional image for "Goldfinger," Eon Productions, 1964. Image in the public domain.

Black loves to play the "Can you connect the dots" game, especially when it comes to Red & Black and our many unexpected detours. Well, I got to create my own version of the game a few weeks ago when Black sent me the link to a wonderful remembrance of Sean Connery by Donald Liebenson for Vanity Fair. Which brought back memories … of Red & Black?!

Keep Reading ... Show less
Underlying photo by Allie on Unsplash
Red may think that the journey of Red & Black started the night that her husband was fired (read her version, It Was A Rainy Friday), and technically she may be correct. Or, maybe it started when we were growing up, and that Friday was merely a life-changing event (for her). Regardless, I typically do not reminisce but, at least, want to provide my version of that rainy Friday.

It was your basic Friday night, which meant I went out to dinner with my husband and enjoyed a good meal with an expensive bottle of fine wine.
Keep Reading ... Show less