Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

OK, so I'm curious. All these years you've managed to stay a size 2, yet how did do you make it through the holidays?

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

I have been a clothes horse for years – no, make that decades – so really cannot afford to let my weight fluctuate more than a few pounds.

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

That makes sense, although it sounds obsessive. So, how do you resist delicious food when it's right in front of you?

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Easy. I live alone, so do not buy fattening foods that I would find "irresistible" or if I am craving something, I only buy a single portion.

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

Clearly you haven't succumbed, as so many of us have during the pandemic, to treating yourself to comfort food. Anyway, sometimes it's out of your control. For example, the dozen delicious cupcakes that Kris sends each of us every year to celebrate the New Year.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

It is a very thoughtful gift as everyone loves cupcakes. In fact, a few years ago, when they arrived, I offered one to the porter who brought them up. The smile on his face was so heart-warming, I decided to share the balance of the cupcakes with the building staff … and everyone was surprised and happy. Funny how cupcakes can make people smile.

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

So, every time someone gives you food you either don't want or won't eat, you give it away?

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

For the most part, yes.

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

Well, that's honest. But don't you think knowing that would hurt the feelings of the person who sent it?

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

I doubt it. I cannot imagine Kris thinks I will eat all 12 cupcakes. With other gifts, I would hope the sender would understand, especially as when you give a gift it is the thought that counts. And, not only do I appreciate their gift, but they are making other people happy as well. There is a ripple effect.

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

Valid point. I shared my cupcakes, too. Although I did eat more than I had intended as they were so good, and I had to try all the flavors. I made up my mind that I rather have them go to my waist than waste them.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Cute. Rationalize them however you want, as long as it is a conscious decision. Sometimes I just take a bite or two of something and then destroy the rest so I do not have to exercise any willpower.

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

I remember you doing that back in the good 'ole days when we'd go out to eat. You'd have a bite or two of your dessert and if no one else at the table wanted the rest, you'd pour pepper all over it. The first time you did it, everyone thought you were crazy, until you explained it.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Well, in my case I would rather waste the food than have it end up on my waist. We all have our priorities.

So, I had to smile when Sawyer came to visit us at Mom’s estate sale. And even though I had seen her only a few hours before, I gave her a hug.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Yes, you make it rather obvious that you are warm and fuzzy. And, a hugger.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

But what made me laugh was when she greeted you by acknowledging that you weren’t a hugger. Now there’s an understatement.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

No, it is merely a fact.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

I never realized, though, just how much both Natasha and Sawyer are like you. Although they begrudgingly let me hug them, they’d both be just as happy with a handshake. If that.

Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Maybe a fist bump?
Keep Reading ...Show less
Credit: Photo by Maha1450 on iStock

Red assets.rebelmouse.io

I know you celebrate Labor Day by just, well, laboring away on Red & Black. But that’s how you celebrate most holidays. For me, I always enjoy celebrating the last three-day weekend of the summer, although the challenge will be deciding what to do this Labor Day. Escape to a movie (ok, my passion’s the popcorn), go to Dunkin’ for a leisurely coffee (it always brings back memories of growing up in New York), read, or climb into bed and watch old episodes of Downton Abbey. Or, maybe “all of the above”!

But before you say anything, yes, I’m well aware that today’s more than a day off and a potential “cut-off” for wearing white (😊). It’s about honoring American workers and all the many contributions they’ve made and continue to make.

Black assets.rebelmouse.io

I know you love history, but do you know the history of Labor Day includes violence and a deadly railroad strike? And, was a way for politicians to “prove” they cared about workers? It is too bad people do not typically walk around thanking others for the work they do (imagine the impact if we did), but maybe you will get inspired by these Labor Day quotes.

And, in terms of me “laboring” today. Of course, I am. I look forward to the quiet time of weekends, especially long ones, to work on strategic projects needing large blocks of uninterrupted time or one of my passion projects. To you, it might appear as if I am “working”, but I am doing what makes me happy. Although tomorrow morning, you may not be happy when you find all my emails that will be waiting in your inbox.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

You know how I like to blah-blah-blah, barely letting anyone get a word in edgewise?

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Is this a rhetorical question? Or, a trick question?

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Neither, I leave those to you. And, you know how things happen to us that seem accidental but probably aren’t coincidences?

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Is there a point to these questions? If so, can you please get to it?

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

As you often tell me, “Patience, grasshopper.” Although I know that’s not your strong suit. Especially not in conversations. Anyway, the other day you sent me a video about stutterers. Well, that same day, I happened to speak to someone who stuttered, and it was just what I needed.

Black assets.rebelmouse.io

The video? Or, the conversation?
Keep Reading ...Show less