What does summer mean for you?* Longer, hotter days? Perhaps a summer vacation? Or the hope of one, now that the coronavirus is making more things possible. Does it mean more outdoor sports or "summer reads" (maybe the books you deem not serious enough, but a great escape anyway), or a time to chill (pun intended) and just enjoy the season? Or maybe even the "sounds" of summer, like neighborhood kids, ice cream trucks, or Beach Boy songs.

Red's thoughts about summer might bring back wonderful childhood memories for you or even new ideas for this summer. For Black, summer is more of a temperature event than anything else. But it wasn't always that way. Although as hard as it is to imagine Black spitting watermelon seeds, could that be the highlight of this summer? At least, for Red. Of course, if last summer was anything to go by, anything is possible.

It's probably safe to say that we're all hoping to enjoy a more "normal" summer. But, of course, Red & Black have very different perspectives of a "normal" summer. Curious? Then check out this month's column, RED & BLACK … A Summer Rerun?

* We'd love to know "What does summer mean to you?" Email Red (she's the "nice" sister) and you never know, you might be featured in an upcoming post!

Photo by nycshooter on iStock

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

This past weekend, I noticed a bunch of flags on my street and wondered why since July 4th is still almost a month away. But this morning, I learned that today's Flag Day.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Well, for someone who likes to decorate for the holidays, I would have thought you would have known all about it.

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

I've heard of it, but I never really thought much about it, let alone when it is. I knew it had to do with the American flag, but it surprised me that it has nothing to do with Betsy Ross, which legend has made the first flag, although it seems there's no evidence to support that.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

If you want an interesting "story", read about why the American flag is called Old Glory. Regardless, the American flag, like all flags, communicates a message.

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

I know you like to connect odd dots, but only you would see a connection between flags and communications.

I can't believe that Sawyer's graduated from high school and will be off to college in a few months. It's so bittersweet. Especially as it seems like only yesterday you were bringing me dinner in the hospital the day she was born – it was wedding soup from my favorite Italian restaurant.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Well, since that has now become one of her favorite restaurants, that is where we should go to celebrate the start of her exciting new journey.

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

Exciting is an understatement. As soon as she finished her Zoom session with the orientation team at Belmont University, she came downstairs and talked a mile a minute about all the incredible course offerings, and before I knew it, she opened her laptop and was going through everything with me.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

When she showed it to me, I was impressed by the range of courses available, and it made me want to go back to college. But, I was most impressed by her enthusiasm and commitment to opening herself up to opportunities that she might not have previously considered.

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

I know! For years, starting when we taught at KIPP Houston High School, you've told students that college was a step-along-the-way, not a destination. And the perfect opportunity to try new things.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

I also said, "Homework never ends; it just is called 'research' when you get older."
Keep Reading ... Show less