Words & Banter

A Summer Rerun?

What does summer mean for you?* Longer, hotter days? Perhaps a summer vacation? Or the hope of one, now that the coronavirus is making more things possible. Does it mean more outdoor sports or "summer reads" (maybe the books you deem not serious enough, but a great escape anyway), or a time to chill (pun intended) and just enjoy the season? Or maybe even the "sounds" of summer, like neighborhood kids, ice cream trucks, or Beach Boy songs.

Red's thoughts about summer might bring back wonderful childhood memories for you or even new ideas for this summer. For Black, summer is more of a temperature event than anything else. But it wasn't always that way. Although as hard as it is to imagine Black spitting watermelon seeds, could that be the highlight of this summer? At least, for Red. Of course, if last summer was anything to go by, anything is possible.

It's probably safe to say that we're all hoping to enjoy a more "normal" summer. But, of course, Red & Black have very different perspectives of a "normal" summer. Curious? Then check out this month's column, RED & BLACK … A Summer Rerun?

* We'd love to know "What does summer mean to you?" Email Red (she's the "nice" sister) and you never know, you might be featured in an upcoming post!

Photo by OnTheRunPhoto for iStock

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

I keep getting emails about where to go for mocktails. I know alcohol-free cocktails, like Virgin Margaritas, have been around for a while, but I’d never heard that term before. Do you think it has to do with New Year’s resolutions?

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

It can if any of your resolutions are to lose weight, save money, sleep better. Or, drink less. Psychologically, January is the month when we “reset”, so a UK-based organization, Alcohol Change UK, started Dry January, where you abstain from drinking alcohol.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Perfect timing since many people shop, eat, and drink more than usual over the holidays.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

I know you used to drink a glass of Cold Duck on New Year’s Eve, a tradition going back to our childhood, but that hardly counts as drinking. But, I have always wondered why you rarely drink, but never asked.
Keep Reading ...Show less
Photo by bhofack2 for iStock

Popcorn! Quite simply, it’s one of my absolute favorite things. Starting when I was a child, whenever I went to the movies, I’d get (and finish!) the largest bucket of popcorn available. And I always thought movie popcorn was far superior to what you could make at home … until a recent trip to visit a close friend in Tennessee, and she introduced me to Great Northern Popcorn (I promise this isn’t a paid ad). Now I’m addicted to it as I can make it on my cooktop. I know Black would be more interested in the science of what makes popcorn pop, but I prefer to just be obsessive about my popcorn …

Popcorn. Just the thought of popcorn makes me smile, makes me want to indulge, makes me happy. And I’m guessing my popcorn obsession makes Black roll her eyes (although she might admit it can be a healthy snack). However, plenty of people must love popcorn as much as I do. Why else would there be a National Popcorn Day?!

Over the past few years, the pandemic posed challenges that none of us could’ve foreseen (and I’ll never forget the dedication of the front-line workers or make light of the sacrifices so many had to make). But part of me has to laugh at the irony because it ended my seemingly easy “escape” from the stresses of life – going to the movies and enjoying the largest bucket of popcorn – when I needed it the most.

You’re going to roll your eyes, but lately, I’ve been thinking a lot about myself.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

That is totally out of character, unless you are thinking of New Year’s resolutions.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Actually, no. For decades, my priorities, and therefore my life, have always been focused on the girls and Mom. But that’s all changing. And I’m not sure how to “change” with it.
Keep Reading ...Show less