Words & Banter

Live & Learn

Red, like many parents of a graduating high school senior, can't believe how quickly the years have gone by and knows this summer will fly by and then her little "baby" will be off to college. But while Red was focused more on how her daughter has grown into a young lady and was "compartmentalizing" this portion of Sawyer's life, Black was looking at things differently and focusing on the big picture of her education, recognizing college would just be a step-along-the-way.

While there's no question that graduation is a milestone and worthy of celebration, it's also human nature to think that once you finish your formal education, you're now "done". But Black doesn't think any of us should ever be "done" learning and uses Red being forced to realize that when she was 40+ years old as an example.

On the surface, that might sound like a "negative" example, except Black uses it to point out an essential skill that Red demonstrates that's extremely valuable in the workplace … and in life. In fact, Red didn't realize it even existed (or, at least, had a name), let alone be something she possesses. Adaptability.

The funny thing is since Red's daughter's approaching college with enthusiasm and an open mind, willing to try new things, and welcoming unexpected opportunities, she'll become adaptable without even realizing it. Hopefully, her "learning mindset" will continue after graduation.

And what about those of us who are no longer in school? Well, as Black points out to her sister in "RED & BLACK … Live & Learn," there are many reasons to become a lifelong learner.

Photo by OnTheRunPhoto for iStock

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

I keep getting emails about where to go for mocktails. I know alcohol-free cocktails, like Virgin Margaritas, have been around for a while, but I’d never heard that term before. Do you think it has to do with New Year’s resolutions?

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

It can if any of your resolutions are to lose weight, save money, sleep better. Or, drink less. Psychologically, January is the month when we “reset”, so a UK-based organization, Alcohol Change UK, started Dry January, where you abstain from drinking alcohol.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Perfect timing since many people shop, eat, and drink more than usual over the holidays.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

I know you used to drink a glass of Cold Duck on New Year’s Eve, a tradition going back to our childhood, but that hardly counts as drinking. But, I have always wondered why you rarely drink, but never asked.
Keep Reading ...Show less
Photo by bhofack2 for iStock

Popcorn! Quite simply, it’s one of my absolute favorite things. Starting when I was a child, whenever I went to the movies, I’d get (and finish!) the largest bucket of popcorn available. And I always thought movie popcorn was far superior to what you could make at home … until a recent trip to visit a close friend in Tennessee, and she introduced me to Great Northern Popcorn (I promise this isn’t a paid ad). Now I’m addicted to it as I can make it on my cooktop. I know Black would be more interested in the science of what makes popcorn pop, but I prefer to just be obsessive about my popcorn …

Popcorn. Just the thought of popcorn makes me smile, makes me want to indulge, makes me happy. And I’m guessing my popcorn obsession makes Black roll her eyes (although she might admit it can be a healthy snack). However, plenty of people must love popcorn as much as I do. Why else would there be a National Popcorn Day?!

Over the past few years, the pandemic posed challenges that none of us could’ve foreseen (and I’ll never forget the dedication of the front-line workers or make light of the sacrifices so many had to make). But part of me has to laugh at the irony because it ended my seemingly easy “escape” from the stresses of life – going to the movies and enjoying the largest bucket of popcorn – when I needed it the most.

You’re going to roll your eyes, but lately, I’ve been thinking a lot about myself.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

That is totally out of character, unless you are thinking of New Year’s resolutions.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Actually, no. For decades, my priorities, and therefore my life, have always been focused on the girls and Mom. But that’s all changing. And I’m not sure how to “change” with it.
Keep Reading ...Show less