Photo taken by Red

red head red head assets.rebelmouse.io

Everywhere I look, there's an article warning about shortages due to supply chain issues, but so far, I've been lucky. And in terms of grocery items I can't find, they fall more under the category of "annoying" vs. being a problem.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Says the woman who always has extras of everything. Well, have you done your Thanksgiving dinner shopping yet? Be prepared. They are predicting increased prices on everything.

red head red head assets.rebelmouse.io

I know, I've seen those articles. And the ones telling people to shop early for Christmas. But the recent article in The Wall Street Journal, "Even Hermès Shoppers Can't Escape the Supply-Chain Crunch," made me roll my eyes.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

I am speechless. Not because there are shortages of Hermès products, as it has always been a challenge to buy their handbags, especially the Birkin bags, which are always in short supply and have a long waiting list. But, because you are finally reading the business section.

red head red head assets.rebelmouse.io

Actually, there was a teaser on the front page that caught my eye. It made me think of your collection of Hermès bags. And, of course, my "50th birthday" Birkin bag, as I can only imagine how far in advance you must have ordered it. But although I know it may be one of the most expensive gifts you've ever given me (the Jaguar when I moved back to the States decades ago still takes first place), it's also one of my most treasured ones. But it has nothing to do with exclusivity or price.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

For me, the expression on your face when they put the big orange box in front of you in the middle of the Houston Hermès store was worth every penny.

red head red head assets.rebelmouse.io

There's just something about those orange boxes that I love, but it's so much more than that. Maybe it's because Hermès items are so classic and timeless. Decades ago, when I was living in Hong Kong, I was going through Singapore airport, and there was an Hermès shop in Duty-Free. That's when I got my Hermès watch, which I still wear to this day.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

And, almost every day. So, on a cost per wearing that watch was a bargain. Unlike the similar one I gave Mom on a milestone birthday years ago that she has only worn a few times. I have one of them too, and although it is not one of the more expensive ones in my watch collection, it is still one of my favorites.

red head red head assets.rebelmouse.io

Except ours aren't 14-karat gold. Regardless, it's literally a timepiece that's timeless. But although I love the few Hermès things I have, including the red and white bracelet you got me years ago, and how each item makes me smile for the memories of when and how I received them, they're not items I'd think about when it comes to the impact of supply chain issues. Hence my eye-rolling when I saw the article.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

For you, Hermès has provided a "supply" of wonderful memories. For me, merely collectible "things".

Red's two Labradoodles

Photo taken by Red

If you asked Black about National Pet Month, she’d probably quote you statistics about the number of people who have pets and the health benefits, conveniently “forgetting” what she told Red about unconditional love. But Red would tell you that she celebrates Moo (read the original post to learn about the other “unusual names” of her four-legged family members) every day, letting her know with a hug and a cuddle how much she’s loved.

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

Well, this month marks 18 years since you changed my life, so I wanted to thank you. Again. For bringing such happiness into the lives of the girls and me, although some heartbreaking sadness, too. But there's nothing like unconditional love.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

OK, but can you tell me what you are talking about?

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

Do you remember when I moved to Houston after living overseas, and we started going to the Hyatt Hill Country in San Antonio for Memorial Day weekend? You were married to Larry, and his girls were young, and Natasha and Sawyer were even younger. Well, in 2003 you asked me if it was OK if you got us a puppy.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

You had always talked about getting a dog but wanted to have children first. The timing seemed right, but given your allergies, the options were limited. Until I learned about a new breed, well technically a mixed breed, originally developed in Australia to be hypoallergenic guide dogs.

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

I'll never forget you showing me photos of the most incredibly adorable dogs I'd ever seen. The fact Labradoodles were half standard poodle, which was what I had initially thought we'd get, and half Labrador Retriever was amazing. But only you could find the perfect dog from an article in a business magazine.
Keep Reading ... Show less
Photo courtesy of United States Holocaust Memorial Museum
Last night began Holocaust Remembrance Day, which ends today at sunset. A day when Jews around the world stop to reflect on a horror beyond comprehension. Yet, in light of the atrocities being committed in Ukraine, it should make us all stop, think, and promise to “never forget.” As we see images that are hard to believe are happening now, there are some Holocaust images that will always be imprinted in our minds and hearts … all serving as a reminder that, regardless of your religion, evil is evil.

red head red head assets.rebelmouse.io

Shoes. Seemingly endless shoes. That’s all I can think about.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

I know you cannot be talking about my closet.

red head red head assets.rebelmouse.io

Far from it! It’s an image that’s forever burned in my memory. A pile of shoes, each one representing a life lost. Each one a story onto itself. Each one proof of something we should never forget.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Normally, I would ask you to tell me what you are talking about or accuse you of being overly dramatic. But, not this time.
Keep Reading ... Show less

For golfers, spring means another Masters golf tournament. Last year, everyone talked about the 35th anniversary of Jack Nicklaus’s amazing come-from-behind victory to claim his 18th major championship. What made it even more amazing was that, at 46, no one thought he would ever win another major. This year, the talk’s all about Tiger Woods (now 46) competing on the 25th anniversary of his first Masters win. It’s a comeback story straight out of Hollywood as a serious car accident 14 months ago initially left people wondering if he would survive, let alone ever play golf again. (Which is reminiscent of when Ben Hogan, one of golf’s all-time greats, came back after a horrific car accident in 1949 to win The U.S. Open in 1950.)

For most golf fans and lovers of great sports comebacks stories, those are inspirational examples of never giving up. And although I was in the crowd around the 18th hole in 1986 when Jack Nicklaus raised his putter in triumph, that was my second favorite Masters memory. And my greatest memory at the Masters didn’t actually take place at the Masters. Well, not at the golf course, anyway.

Keep Reading ... Show less