Memory Lane

Collecting Hermès. Collecting Memories.

Photo taken by Red

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Everywhere I look, there's an article warning about shortages due to supply chain issues, but so far, I've been lucky. And in terms of grocery items I can't find, they fall more under the category of "annoying" vs. being a problem.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Says the woman who always has extras of everything. Well, have you done your Thanksgiving dinner shopping yet? Be prepared. They are predicting increased prices on everything.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

I know, I've seen those articles. And the ones telling people to shop early for Christmas. But the recent article in The Wall Street Journal, "Even Hermès Shoppers Can't Escape the Supply-Chain Crunch," made me roll my eyes.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

I am speechless. Not because there are shortages of Hermès products, as it has always been a challenge to buy their handbags, especially the Birkin bags, which are always in short supply and have a long waiting list. But, because you are finally reading the business section.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Actually, there was a teaser on the front page that caught my eye. It made me think of your collection of Hermès bags. And, of course, my "50th birthday" Birkin bag, as I can only imagine how far in advance you must have ordered it. But although I know it may be one of the most expensive gifts you've ever given me (the Jaguar when I moved back to the States decades ago still takes first place), it's also one of my most treasured ones. But it has nothing to do with exclusivity or price.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

For me, the expression on your face when they put the big orange box in front of you in the middle of the Houston Hermès store was worth every penny.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

There's just something about those orange boxes that I love, but it's so much more than that. Maybe it's because Hermès items are so classic and timeless. Decades ago, when I was living in Hong Kong, I was going through Singapore airport, and there was an Hermès shop in Duty-Free. That's when I got my Hermès watch, which I still wear to this day.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

And, almost every day. So, on a cost per wearing that watch was a bargain. Unlike the similar one I gave Mom on a milestone birthday years ago that she has only worn a few times. I have one of them too, and although it is not one of the more expensive ones in my watch collection, it is still one of my favorites.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Except ours aren't 14-karat gold. Regardless, it's literally a timepiece that's timeless. But although I love the few Hermès things I have, including the red and white bracelet you got me years ago, and how each item makes me smile for the memories of when and how I received them, they're not items I'd think about when it comes to the impact of supply chain issues. Hence my eye-rolling when I saw the article.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

For you, Hermès has provided a "supply" of wonderful memories. For me, merely collectible "things".

New Year’s Eve is one of those nights (Black calls them “forced” celebrations) that often have great expectations attached to it. Many people make a big deal of it, but we prefer a lowkey approach, making the evening “special” by spending it with special people – for Red, her daughters, and for Black, close friends.

Some years it can be a bittersweet celebration (if loved ones have passed or no longer live close to home), but that can remind you of what’s most important.

So, let’s all toast to the promise and hope of a new year … and to champagne and toilet paper.

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

New Year's Eve seems like the perfect time to stroll down memory lane, although I'm guessing your memories are much more interesting than mine.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

"Interesting" is a subjective word. Regardless, are you talking about memories in general? Or, New Year's Eve celebrations?

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

Actually, it was just a passing comment. But since you've always seemed to make a bigger deal out of New Year's Eve than I have, are there any years that really stand out?

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Truth is the most memorable ones are the ones spent with celebrating with closest friends versus crowds. In fact, I think I have spent more than half of my New Year's Eves with John and Diana. Although, I will never forget bringing in 2000.
Keep Reading ...Show less

We appreciate that not everyone celebrates Christmas, but that doesn’t mean you can’t have a favorite Christmas memory. Interestingly, or is it ironically, Black, who barely tolerates the “forced” celebrations associated with holidays (and birthdays) and prefers to look forward to the future vs. reminisce about the past, likes to tell the story of the “Jewish Santa”. Black may see a deeper meaning to it, but for Red, it’s a favorite and heartwarming Christmas story, although she’d never tell Black that …

BLACK: I do not know at what age my Christmas memories began, but I do remember being very young and in awe of a very large – and very well decorated – Christmas tree in our family room. I even remember peeking down the stairs late one evening and seeing my mother standing extremely close to Santa Claus. OK, you might not find that an unusual memory, except my family is Jewish.

Keep Reading ...Show less
Photo by klohka on iStock

As soon as Black wrote it, it became one of Red’s favorite posts, and now it’s a Red & Black Thanksgiving tradition. After all, what could be a better Turkey Day tradition than memories of a perfect turkey?

And it’s the perfect way to wish you a very Happy Thanksgiving that, as Black says below, is … filled with memories that will last a lifetime.

Today is Thanksgiving, and I cannot help but wonder why we are online. However, everyone has their own way of celebrating. I know that Red is in the kitchen cooking – and watching a marathon of "The Godfather" movies. Which is perfect as turkeys take such a long time to cook and patience is important when you want it perfectly browned. So inviting, so appetizing, so … naked?

Keep Reading ...Show less
True