Photo taken by Red

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Everywhere I look, there's an article warning about shortages due to supply chain issues, but so far, I've been lucky. And in terms of grocery items I can't find, they fall more under the category of "annoying" vs. being a problem.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Says the woman who always has extras of everything. Well, have you done your Thanksgiving dinner shopping yet? Be prepared. They are predicting increased prices on everything.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

I know, I've seen those articles. And the ones telling people to shop early for Christmas. But the recent article in The Wall Street Journal, "Even Hermès Shoppers Can't Escape the Supply-Chain Crunch," made me roll my eyes.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

I am speechless. Not because there are shortages of Hermès products, as it has always been a challenge to buy their handbags, especially the Birkin bags, which are always in short supply and have a long waiting list. But, because you are finally reading the business section.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Actually, there was a teaser on the front page that caught my eye. It made me think of your collection of Hermès bags. And, of course, my "50th birthday" Birkin bag, as I can only imagine how far in advance you must have ordered it. But although I know it may be one of the most expensive gifts you've ever given me (the Jaguar when I moved back to the States decades ago still takes first place), it's also one of my most treasured ones. But it has nothing to do with exclusivity or price.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

For me, the expression on your face when they put the big orange box in front of you in the middle of the Houston Hermès store was worth every penny.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

There's just something about those orange boxes that I love, but it's so much more than that. Maybe it's because Hermès items are so classic and timeless. Decades ago, when I was living in Hong Kong, I was going through Singapore airport, and there was an Hermès shop in Duty-Free. That's when I got my Hermès watch, which I still wear to this day.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

And, almost every day. So, on a cost per wearing that watch was a bargain. Unlike the similar one I gave Mom on a milestone birthday years ago that she has only worn a few times. I have one of them too, and although it is not one of the more expensive ones in my watch collection, it is still one of my favorites.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Except ours aren't 14-karat gold. Regardless, it's literally a timepiece that's timeless. But although I love the few Hermès things I have, including the red and white bracelet you got me years ago, and how each item makes me smile for the memories of when and how I received them, they're not items I'd think about when it comes to the impact of supply chain issues. Hence my eye-rolling when I saw the article.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

For you, Hermès has provided a "supply" of wonderful memories. For me, merely collectible "things".
Photograph of Jackie Aguilera courtesy of Jackie Aguilera

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

I have a confession to make, which I’m sure will make you roll your eyes.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Interesting caveat and probably true.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Every time we meet with Jackie (Aguilera) from the Mayor’s Office of Adult Literacy and hear what she’s doing in the world of adult education, I feel like I’m back in school and having to take copious notes.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

I am more than happy to send you “homework assignments” as I come across relevant articles and research.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Thanks, but no thanks. I’ll stick to taking notes. But that does explain why you’re so knowledgeable about literacy.

Black assets.rebelmouse.io

But, reading information is very different from being at the forefront of literacy innovation. And, if we had never met Jackie, I never would have realized how literacy is more than the dictionary definition, and encompasses more than just reading and writing.
Keep Reading ...Show less
Photo by Lynda Sanchez on Unsplash

As Black knows, going to the movies is my escape (and even sends me research about it), but she also knows that it’s all about the popcorn. So, it should come as no surprise that’s how I like to celebrate my birthday. And even though she’s not one to “celebrate” birthdays, she does indulge (or maybe the word is “tolerate”) people who do, and whenever my birthday falls on a workday, she gives me “permission” to escape to the movies.

Which is what I’m doing today on my milestone birthday, and although the “rerun” part of this post (below the line) was from last November, some things never change. Except … this year, as I’ll be waiting for the movie to start (and waiting to start eating my popcorn as I refuse to eat even a single kernel beforehand), I know I’ll be wondering, “How did I get to be 60 years old?!”

It's a running joke in my family that the only reason I go to the movies is for the popcorn. And while that isn't 100% true, it's probably close as I can't remember a time when popcorn wasn't an essential part of the experience. (I'll admit I couldn't believe it when I recently read that South Korea's banning movie popcorn in the theater!)

I can still remember seeing "Young Frankenstein" when it was first released (in 1974) at the Massapequa movie theater, which was literally at one end of an old strip shopping center. It bore no resemblance to the multiplex cinemas of today, and the concession stand offerings were very limited. It was dark and a bit dingy, and the seats were old and uncomfortable. But I didn't care because the popcorn made up for it. And while I sat through multiple showings of the movie (hey, it's still one of my favorites), I was grateful that my dad had given me enough money to get multiple popcorns as in those days, there was no such thing as the big bucket, let alone free refills.

Keep Reading ...Show less
Photos by Red

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

I know you’ll roll your eyes, but it made me smile when I found not one, but two, of Daddy’s typewriters at Mom’s house. It just brought back so many memories.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

I remember the old black one, which is probably long gone, before Daddy “modernized” and got an electric one. I remember taking typing class. And, I remember pulling an all-nighter to write, or technically “type”, my M.B.A. thesis the night before it was due.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

I still can’t believe you did that. Too bad you couldn’t turn in the handwritten version.
Keep Reading ...Show less