Photo taken by Red

red head red head assets.rebelmouse.io

Everywhere I look, there's an article warning about shortages due to supply chain issues, but so far, I've been lucky. And in terms of grocery items I can't find, they fall more under the category of "annoying" vs. being a problem.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Says the woman who always has extras of everything. Well, have you done your Thanksgiving dinner shopping yet? Be prepared. They are predicting increased prices on everything.

red head red head assets.rebelmouse.io

I know, I've seen those articles. And the ones telling people to shop early for Christmas. But the recent article in The Wall Street Journal, "Even Hermès Shoppers Can't Escape the Supply-Chain Crunch," made me roll my eyes.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

I am speechless. Not because there are shortages of Hermès products, as it has always been a challenge to buy their handbags, especially the Birkin bags, which are always in short supply and have a long waiting list. But, because you are finally reading the business section.

red head red head assets.rebelmouse.io

Actually, there was a teaser on the front page that caught my eye. It made me think of your collection of Hermès bags. And, of course, my "50th birthday" Birkin bag, as I can only imagine how far in advance you must have ordered it. But although I know it may be one of the most expensive gifts you've ever given me (the Jaguar when I moved back to the States decades ago still takes first place), it's also one of my most treasured ones. But it has nothing to do with exclusivity or price.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

For me, the expression on your face when they put the big orange box in front of you in the middle of the Houston Hermès store was worth every penny.

red head red head assets.rebelmouse.io

There's just something about those orange boxes that I love, but it's so much more than that. Maybe it's because Hermès items are so classic and timeless. Decades ago, when I was living in Hong Kong, I was going through Singapore airport, and there was an Hermès shop in Duty-Free. That's when I got my Hermès watch, which I still wear to this day.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

And, almost every day. So, on a cost per wearing that watch was a bargain. Unlike the similar one I gave Mom on a milestone birthday years ago that she has only worn a few times. I have one of them too, and although it is not one of the more expensive ones in my watch collection, it is still one of my favorites.

red head red head assets.rebelmouse.io

Except ours aren't 14-karat gold. Regardless, it's literally a timepiece that's timeless. But although I love the few Hermès things I have, including the red and white bracelet you got me years ago, and how each item makes me smile for the memories of when and how I received them, they're not items I'd think about when it comes to the impact of supply chain issues. Hence my eye-rolling when I saw the article.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

For you, Hermès has provided a "supply" of wonderful memories. For me, merely collectible "things".
Photo by Lynda Sanchez on Unsplash

It's a running joke in my family that the only reason I go to the movies is for the popcorn. And while that isn't 100% true, it's probably close as I can't remember a time when popcorn wasn't an essential part of the experience. (I'll admit I couldn't believe it when I recently read that South Korea's banning movie popcorn in the theater!)

I can still remember seeing "Young Frankenstein" when it was first released (in 1974) at the Massapequa movie theater, which was literally at one end of an old strip shopping center. It bore no resemblance to the multiplex cinemas of today, and the concession stand offerings were very limited. It was dark and a bit dingy, and the seats were old and uncomfortable. But I didn't care because the popcorn made up for it. And while I sat through multiple showings of the movie (hey, it's still one of my favorites), I was grateful that my dad had given me enough money to get multiple popcorns as in those days, there was no such thing as the big bucket, let alone free refills.

Keep Reading ... Show less
Image by spukkato for iStock

red head red head assets.rebelmouse.io

Daddy never talked about being a veteran; I only knew because I'd love looking through old family photo albums. I'd marvel at photos of him taken when he served in Asia during World War II as he looked like such a "baby", not like the grown man that was our dad. When we were growing up, he'd wear his Hump Pilots Association cap all the time, but I never thought much about it until years after he passed and Mom received a VHS tape celebrating the 50th anniversary of WWII that was about "flying the hump". At the time, the girls were very young, so weren't interested in watching it. But I may try again to help them see that we all have so much to be thankful for, especially our veterans – the men and women who have served to defend and protect our country not only over the years but over the decades.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Technically, over the centuries. It started as Armistice Day on November 11, 1919, to commemorate the 1918 "truce" between the Allied nations and Germany in World War I. Unfortunately, more wars would follow, and it was officially changed to Veterans Day in 1954. And, while Memorial Day remembers those who gave their lives for our country, Veterans Day honors all who have served in the military during times of war and peace, including those who are no longer with us.

In my opinion, there are not enough days to celebrate the men and women in the military who serve and protect us. So, when we have an opportunity to thank a veteran – and especially today – we should do so, proudly and humbly.
Thank you, Veterans – today and every day – for protecting our country, our freedom, our democracy.
Image by Blueee77 on Shutterstock

I was in high school, and it immediately became one of my favorite albums (and apparently other people's as well). And, although it faced some stiff competition from the artist's earlier "Piano Man" album, "The Stranger" features a song that has always been very special to me. Because it's a song about my sister. Well, at least to me, it is …

Keep Reading ... Show less