Ok, I'm not trying to be overly dramatic. But over the last few nights, I keep thinking about that scene from The Ten Commandments where the mist rolls in and the first- born children of Egypt are in danger. The corona virus is like that mist, an unseen but deadly force.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Actually, that Passover scene is a great analogy and visual. So, in all the COVID- craziness, were you able to prepare for Passover? And, how many pounds of matzo did you buy?

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

None! I still have a 5-lb box left over from last year. That's the great thing about matzo, it starts out stale.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

True. I wonder if it even has an expiration date. Hopefully, you were able to get everything else you wanted without spending too long in the grocery store.

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

It wasn't too bad. It really helped that I started making lists and stocking up on general items a few weeks before the "mad dash" to grocery stores began.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Given how you have always loved lists, and loading up on sale items, I am not surprised.

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

You can laugh at my lists, but when everyone was hunting for toilet paper and basics, I only had to shop for perishables. I used to go to the grocery story every few days, now I only go weekly.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

I probably should not admit this, but over a month ago I ordered toilet paper on Amazon Prime. I thought I bought a family size package, but when it arrived it was a case of family size packages. I am set for a while.

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

Well, I probably have enough cream cheese to last us until the Fourth of July. It's not a high demand item, except in this house. And getting a brisket, and everything to go with it, is now a "cooking concept" that I do on a regular basis – making a meal that feeds us for several nights.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

I use that same approach for restaurant take-out. So, did you get horseradish and gefilte fish?

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

No. I hate gefilte fish.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

The only way I can eat it is if it is hidden under a mountain of horseradish. But, that is not the point. The horseradish is a bitter herb, and eaten as a reminder of the bitter slavery of Jews in Egypt.

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

At the risk of stating the obvious, don't you think there's enough "bitterness" around us with this awful coronavirus. I really don't think a root vegetable is necessary.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

First of all, you can look at the "bitterness" of the current situation, or you can look at all the people pulling together. Yes, there is dread … but there is also hope for a better day. Because, this too shall pass. And, that is the significance of Passover. And Easter. It makes us stop and think of how the past has brought us where we are today. Everyone needs reminders because, unfortunately, it is human nature to forget.

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

I'm almost afraid to ask, but as inconceivable as it may seem now, do you think that when this corona crisis passes, people will forget the hardships we're all now facing?

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Totally forget? No. Focus on day-to-day living and moving forward? Yes. Which is not a bad thing, if they learned from this crisis.

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

I guess that's why traditions and holidays are so important. They help us to remember pain and suffering. I'll admit that I don't do an elaborate Seder with all the customary foods and don't recite all the prayers, but we do sit down as a family and recognize the significance of Passover.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

What I find amazing, and inspiring, is how many families that cannot come together in person this year are finding new ways to maintain traditions. The use of technology, like Zoom, Face Time, and Google Hangout, means people can "virtually" be together.

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

So, you could have a Seder Skype-style?! There's no doubt this is a time of ingenuity.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

A crisis is often when mankind is at its best. Especially as it forces us to think about what is most important. Which is each other. It makes us see that we all have more in common than not. That nothing is more precious than our family, our friends, our lives.

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

Yes, but it seems that it comes at a very high cost. The current situation is so grim and the numbers are escalating every day. Isn't there anything we can do? In Biblical times, the Jews were able to mark their doors with the blood from the sacrificial lamb so that death would pass over their house.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Think about that. They hid in their houses and marked their doors. The stay-in-place orders are basically doing the same thing, except since it applies to all of us, we do not have to mark our doors. If we want to reduce deaths, we have to reduce the spread of COVID- 19. And, it is not only about our families and loved ones. We have to do everything possible so that hospitals will not be pushed beyond their limits and to make sure that urgent medical supplies are available to all those truly in need.

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

It sounds so simplistic, but it really is true. Each of us can make a difference, so each of us that can stay home, should stay home. If you have to go out, practice social distancing. Everyone needs to keep washing their hands, using hand sanitizer, and practicing social distance. I wish there was a way to get that message out to everyone!

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Maybe there is, but then you will accuse me of being warm and fuzzy, which is your area of expertise.

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

Now you have me curious.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Call or text the people you love. Make sure they are doing everything they can to stay safe. And, if not, encourage them to do so, and tell them why.

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

You're right, that's way too warm and fuzzy, and totally out of character for you.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Do not worry, this too shall pass.

Photo by enviromantic for iStock

red head assets.rebelmouse.io

I know I shouldn’t say this, but I can’t stand N95 masks! They make me feel like a duck.

Black assets.rebelmouse.io

That quacks me up. Regardless, they are much more effective than cloth masks. And, FYI, they do come in different shapes.

assets.rebelmouse.io

I just wish they were more comfortable.
Keep Reading ... Show less
Photo by bhofack2 for iStock

Popcorn. Just the thought of popcorn makes me smile, makes me want to indulge, makes me happy. And I’m guessing my popcorn obsession makes Black roll her eyes (although she might admit it can be a healthy snack). However, plenty of people must love popcorn as much as I do. Why else would there be a National Popcorn Day?!

Over the past few years, the pandemic posed challenges that none of us could’ve foreseen (and I’ll never forget the dedication of the front-line workers or make light of the sacrifices so many had to make). But part of me has to laugh at the irony because it ended my seemingly easy “escape” from the stresses of life – going to the movies and enjoying the largest bucket of popcorn – when I needed it the most.

red head assets.rebelmouse.io

Well, it’s our first column of the year. A new beginning. Any “new” ideas for topics? Something other than New Year’s resolutions.

Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Is there a reason you do not want to talk about resolutions?

assets.rebelmouse.io

Obviously, yours was not to ask fewer questions.

Black (use0 assets.rebelmouse.io

That will never happen, but you are avoiding the question. Why?

Red assets.rebelmouse.io

Because every year, I have a long list of things I want to do, and I start strong, but within a few months, I fall back into old habits. Sometimes it only takes weeks. It’s frustrating and disappointing.

Black (use) assets.rebelmouse.io

Next question. What is the opposite of “old?"
Keep Reading ... Show less