Banter Bites

Favorite. Accessory. Always.

National Handbag Day may be a new holiday (it was started in 2013 by purseblog), but people have been obsessed with handbags for centuries. The only difference is now they have an official day of celebration.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Red has never been known for her clothing and accessories, and it's safe to say never will be, but that doesn't mean she hasn't admired many of Black's incredible handbags over the years. In fact, there was one particular bag (a black Hermès Birkin) that she downright coveted to the point that Black used to say that she'd leave it to her in her will, and then would pause and ask, "Does that mean I now need a food taster?" Several years later, Red's was shocked (and thrilled) when Black bought her one for her 50th birthday, and although Red doesn't use it very often (she can't get herself to take it to grocery stores or to run errands), it still makes her incredibly happy to see the big orange box in her closet.

When it comes to handbags, Black can't help but reminisce (something she typically doesn't do) about one of her marriage counseling sessions with her ex-husband, Larry. He was lamenting, "She doesn't respect my money." At which point, Black couldn't help but point out that you respect people. You respect their ability to make money. To save money. Even to spend wisely. But you don't respect "things" or money. To which her ex commented, "That's semantics, but the bottom line is you don't respect my money." To which Black nonchalantly replied, "And, you do not respect my handbags."

Two years ago, on MLK Day, Red learned the power and inspiration of the words of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. And the power of dreams. And as long as there's social unrest and social injustice in the United States (stop and think about the first word … as we’re supposed to be united), the more we can learn from him … as not only did he fight for equality for all, but his approach is proof of the power of peaceful protests.

For most of us, writing and delivering one powerful and/or inspiring thing would be a very difficult task. To be remembered for hundreds is truly amazing.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: There's so much one can say about Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., who led the civil rights movement from the mid-1950s until his assassination in 1968, and whose leadership was fundamental to the ending of legal segregation in many parts of the United States. But regardless of your position on segregation, it's almost impossible not to acknowledge, yet alone appreciate, how incredibly powerful and inspiring his words were and the impact they continue to have on the civil rights movement. But don't believe us. This goodreads post provides more than just a good read, it's a seemingly endless list of inspirational quotes while a great "refresher" course on Dr. King is available at History.com.

We grew up in New York, where bagels are almost sacred, but even though they may have started as a Jewish food in Europe, they’re now enjoyed by everyone everywhere (including Red and Black, but in very different ways) – why else would there be a National Bagel Day?

National holidays aren’t the time to count calories.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: We both agree that happiness has a hole in it, although one of us may only eat one bagel a year while the other tries to keep it to only one bagel when she does indulge.

Keep Reading ...Show less

Another year and another National Clean Your Desk Day (yes, that’s actually a thing). So, is Red’s desk any better than the “disaster” it was last year? Well, believe it or not, it may not be perfect, but it’s significantly better. Is it because she finally listened to Black’s advice (see below) or somehow found a “secret” of her own? As it turns out, it was a combination of the two as Red discovered, even if the rest of her life isn’t “nice and neat” (that’ll never happen), she loves walking into her workroom in the morning and starting the day in a (somewhat) organized space, which provides the best motivation for keeping it that way. (Luckily, Black never brought up the science of messy desks.)

A day to clean up your desk?! It will take way more than a day …

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: No one is immune from piles of paper, not even Black, the master of organization, but there’s a huge difference between a desk with a few small piles and some scattered papers (although her laptop’s keyboard needs serious cleaning) and Red’s “workroom” that usually looks like a tornado hit it.

Which is why Red rolled her eyes when Black mentioned today’s National Clean Your Desk Day, as it’d take her significantly more than a day to “clean up this mess,” but then she remembered Black’s advice on how to keep her piles (and piles) of paper under control and felt inspired. Red admits often feeling like she’s drowning in paper, but that’s because she lets the piles get out of control before reminding herself of Black’s very easy, straightforward approach to turning her mountains of paper into small manageable hills. And, significantly reducing stress along the way, because as Black points out,

Sometimes, it is more important to know what you are ignoring than it is to deal with everything in the piles.