Banter Bites

Ink & Think

When you look at someone with a tattoo, what's your first thought?

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Although tattoos have been around for thousands of years, how they're perceived has changed dramatically over the last few decades; just ask Red, who when she was growing up would've made a face and responded, "Yuck," while Black would've said she found them cool and (just to annoy our mom) that she could see getting one.

Red will admit that until four years ago, she may not have felt as strongly about tattoos as she did growing up when she just assumed that only "bad people" had them. But she still wasn't a fan of them and couldn't understand how anyone would want to permanently "decorate" their bodies.

As a mom, it was bad enough when her daughters would take Sharpies and proudly display their artwork on their arms and legs. And while her oldest daughter, Natasha, was the non-conformist (wonder where she inherited that trait) and would talk about getting tattoos one day, Red reacted like most moms; she heard the words but didn't think she'd actually do it.

I honestly thought that Natasha, having an extremely low tolerance for pain (as in non-existent), would never go ahead and endure the pain of getting a tattoo. But her love of bats (ever since she was a young girl and first saw thousands of them come out from under Congress Street Bridge in Austin) was stronger than her hatred of needles. Which is why she decided that her first tattoo was going to be a bat. And from the drawing she showed me, the perfect bat, as it was a simple outline that was not too big and not too small, and would be positioned on her shoulder blade, so not prominent yet not hidden.

So, what made Red not only give her blessing to the tattoo but make it her high school graduation gift?! (Talk about a change of heart.) As with many things, Black gave her a different perspective. She helped Red realize that tattoos had gone mainstream, probably because so many celebrities and athletes proudly display them. And being a history buff, Red was surprised to learn that famous people in history had them.

More importantly, though, Black made her sister realize that the stigmas of the past didn't apply anymore. Not to mention some of the falsehoods, such as you couldn't be buried in a Jewish cemetery if you had a tattoo. But in many ways, what Red found even more shocking than her newfound knowledge about tattoos, was Black's decision to get a matching bat tattoo. (Which recently led to her getting two more tattoos to match Red's younger daughter, Sawyer, when she got her perfect tattoos.)

Growing up, I told Mom I wanted one for the pure shock value of the statement. However, I have always been fascinated by tats and the fact they can be addictive. When Natasha decided to get her bat tat, it seemed the perfect opportunity to do something meaningful with her that we would both have to remind ourselves of the bond between us. And, I was thrilled to be able to do the same with Sawyer. So, when are we going to get matching tats?

Well, anyone who knows Red knows the answer to that question!

P.S. – Celebrate National Tattoo Day by checking out lots of fun facts and interesting things about tattoos!

No matter what holiday you may celebrate, Red can’t help but quote a line from one of her favorite Christmas songs, “Have yourself a merry little Christmas. Let your heart be light. From now on, your troubles will be out of sight.”

And Black can’t help but point out that the song wasn’t introduced in a Christmas movie but in the movie "Meet Me In St. Louis."

Wishing you a merry everything and a happy always!

This is one of Red’s favorite Banter Bites in large part because of Black’s “corny” puns, but also because fresh corn is a summer staple – whether cooked on the grill or in the microwave, whether eaten on its own or as a primary ingredient in refreshing summer salads

This may be one of the corniest things you’ll ever read.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: It’s just a vegetable, so how can it possibly elicit such a strong reaction from Red, while, for Black, it’s more a source of amusement and even, it turns out, admiration?

Keep Reading ...Show less

Think you can avoid artificial intelligence? Think again …

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Red already fights technology at every turn, preferring to keep her ostrich head in the sand, plus, she finds Artificial Intelligence (AI) scary; whereas Black knows ignoring reality merely postpones the inevitable, so she’s started playing with AI to understand it better …

Keep Reading ...Show less