When being technologically savvy and technologically clueless come together. In wonderful ways.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: It's usually Black that sends Red articles to read, so it was unusual when Black received a "Texas Monthly" link from Red.

That alone was worthy of getting her attention, but after reading "Scheduling Angels" Are Scouring the Internet to Book Vaccine Appointments for Strangers, she could understand why Red found it worthy of sharing. After all, who couldn't smile and appreciate the efforts of total strangers, in this case, younger people who are tech-savvy, to help others, but especially older people who are in most need of getting vaccinated?

Red's link reminded Black of an email that she had recently received from Encore.org that talked about making a new friend during Covid. This in itself might not seem too surprising, or even interesting, until you learn that that one person is a 31-year-old man living in Hawaii while the other's a 60-year-old woman living in Texas. And the resulting Rewire article was about how high- and low-tech solutions can connect across generations.

Encore's an amazing organization that works to "partner" the generations so they can learn from each other, but in this instance, it was a "partnership" of friendship, mutual interests, personality, and so much more. Of course, we couldn't help but continue talking (yes, we know we should have a podcast),

Who would've thought that a pandemic would create so many opportunities for generations to cross the digital divide – together? Not only in terms of scheduling vaccines, but to connect with people who feel isolated and alone. For some people (like Red), technology can seem overwhelming and intimidating, but the simplest applications can help people stay in touch and know that they're valued and not forgotten.

In a promise to “never forget” we’re rerunning our 2021 post so that we always remember …

September 11 is a date on the calendar, but "9/11" is a date in history.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Much like JFK's assassination was to an older generation (although Black's old enough to be included), we both remember exactly what we were doing when we first heard the news of the attacks on the Twin Towers, Pentagon, and Flight 93; but, interestingly, how we reflect on 9/11 is a bit of a role reversal.

Keep Reading ...Show less