When being technologically savvy and technologically clueless come together. In wonderful ways.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: It's usually Black that sends Red articles to read, so it was unusual when Black received a "Texas Monthly" link from Red.

That alone was worthy of getting her attention, but after reading "Scheduling Angels" Are Scouring the Internet to Book Vaccine Appointments for Strangers, she could understand why Red found it worthy of sharing. After all, who couldn't smile and appreciate the efforts of total strangers, in this case, younger people who are tech-savvy, to help others, but especially older people who are in most need of getting vaccinated?

Red's link reminded Black of an email that she had recently received from Encore.org that talked about making a new friend during Covid. This in itself might not seem too surprising, or even interesting, until you learn that that one person is a 31-year-old man living in Hawaii while the other's a 60-year-old woman living in Texas. And the resulting Rewire article was about how high- and low-tech solutions can connect across generations.

Encore's an amazing organization that works to "partner" the generations so they can learn from each other, but in this instance, it was a "partnership" of friendship, mutual interests, personality, and so much more. Of course, we couldn't help but continue talking (yes, we know we should have a podcast),

Who would've thought that a pandemic would create so many opportunities for generations to cross the digital divide – together? Not only in terms of scheduling vaccines, but to connect with people who feel isolated and alone. For some people (like Red), technology can seem overwhelming and intimidating, but the simplest applications can help people stay in touch and know that they're valued and not forgotten.

As voters, should we care whether people on the ballot are mentally capable of holding the job?

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: It's probably safe to say that most of us, including Red, think of old age and its implications in a very personal way, either in terms of ourselves or loved ones. But not Black, who often says, "Aging beats the alternative," and looked at retirement from a business perspective, but now sees how it impacts all of us in terms of elected officials.

Keep Reading ... Show less

How do you look back at the "good 'ole days" if they happened before you were even born?

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: We read the same Axios story about "TikTok's nostalgia economy," and although the focus was "media trends" due to younger people using social media to both make fun of older people and also to flashback nostalgically, of course, we focused on very different aspects of the story.

Keep Reading ... Show less

Want good customer service? Good behavior is a good start.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: We grew up hearing the expression "the customer is always right," and Red certainly agreed with it; and while Black understood the customer service aspect of it, she did question its impact on employees (why would you "automatically" side with a customer over an employee without knowing the details). And that was before the pandemic changed everything, but especially customer behavior.

Until recently, Red didn't think much about why the customer was "always right," but it reminded her of years ago when Black shared her amusing (or, at least, to Red) version of the Golden Rule, "He who has the gold, rules. "So, wouldn't that also apply to customers? Wouldn't a happy customer be a loyal customer?

Keep Reading ... Show less