When being technologically savvy and technologically clueless come together. In wonderful ways.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: It's usually Black that sends Red articles to read, so it was unusual when Black received a "Texas Monthly" link from Red.

That alone was worthy of getting her attention, but after reading "Scheduling Angels" Are Scouring the Internet to Book Vaccine Appointments for Strangers, she could understand why Red found it worthy of sharing. After all, who couldn't smile and appreciate the efforts of total strangers, in this case, younger people who are tech-savvy, to help others, but especially older people who are in most need of getting vaccinated?

Red's link reminded Black of an email that she had recently received from Encore.org that talked about making a new friend during Covid. This in itself might not seem too surprising, or even interesting, until you learn that that one person is a 31-year-old man living in Hawaii while the other's a 60-year-old woman living in Texas. And the resulting Rewire article was about how high- and low-tech solutions can connect across generations.

Encore's an amazing organization that works to "partner" the generations so they can learn from each other, but in this instance, it was a "partnership" of friendship, mutual interests, personality, and so much more. Of course, we couldn't help but continue talking (yes, we know we should have a podcast),

Who would've thought that a pandemic would create so many opportunities for generations to cross the digital divide – together? Not only in terms of scheduling vaccines, but to connect with people who feel isolated and alone. For some people (like Red), technology can seem overwhelming and intimidating, but the simplest applications can help people stay in touch and know that they're valued and not forgotten.

It's hard not to have an opinion about this year's Olympics, but can we all agree that the athletes represent strength, perseverance, and hope?

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: The Olympics is the world's largest sporting event, and although it seems that history occurs both on and off the "field", it's safe to say that the Olympics means very different things to different people (especially us).

Keep Reading ... Show less

The "space race" used to be about countries competing … now, it's billionaires.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: We grew up in the 1960s when space exploration was in its infancy and space travel was left to the imagination of television show and movie writers; but since one of us was a theater major and the other studied business, it's not surprising we had very different reactions to the recent flights.

Keep Reading ... Show less

Coffee MAY reduce the risk of getting COVID-19, but masks, social distancing, and taking the vaccine WILL!

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Both of us are habitual coffee drinkers, so were curious about the potential benefits of our favorite beverage to lower the risk of contracting COVID-19, although our initial reactions to the study were (of course) very different.

Keep Reading ... Show less