Years of words but no actions got us here. And "urging," "encouraging," and "inviting" are just more words …

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Even though Red sometimes tends to be an ostrich and ignores reality, not when it comes to climate change; and although we may see things differently, we both know that simply ignoring it will only make things worse.

Red, being first and foremost a mom, looks at global warming and weather events that are more catastrophic with each passing year, and other environmental issues such as the importance of recycling and the impact humans are having on endangered species, from the perspective of what kind of world does she want to leave her, and other people's, children, grandchildren, and hopefully generations beyond that.

Having lived around the world, she's always been disheartened to see the careless impact we're having but only recently learned that paradises on Earth could potentially cease to exist,

I know I'm the warm and fuzzy one, but now I find myself seesawing between feeling despondent about the world our children will inherit and angry at what could have been prevented.

Black, forever pragmatic, said that the decades of doubt and actionless words are now being seen for what it is … lots of politics and doubletalk, with emotional speeches by older "statesmen" (key words being "older" and "men"). Now, we can choose to look back and point blame, or focus on what has to be done. The "establishment" will continue to function as it always has … unless it's forced to change. And science alone will not accomplish that. Here's where we need to not only listen to, but actively support, the young activists who are unwilling to accept the status quo. Or empty promises.

When Red questioned her as to whether there was any real possibility to pivot away from the seemingly inevitable point of no return, she was expecting a litany of research, including analytical data and statistics. Instead, she received perhaps the most unexpected, but memorable, reply she could ever imagine,

At first, I thought it was industry propaganda, but then realized it was not about pointing blame but looking for solutions. The article stated livestock produces more of the "bad gas" than the energy industry, so climate change conversations – and actions – need to involve the livestock and agricultural industries. And, I guess they should include the drug industry since they mentioned Gas-X for cows.

Well, there's no shortage of unresolved issues coming out of the recent UN Climate Change Conference, and if the solutions were easy, they'd have been implemented, or, at least, identified, by now. So maybe we need to start thinking outside the box. Regardless, we've got no excuse for doing nothing … because isn't that what got us in trouble in the first place?

It’s hard to believe the topic of the Supreme Court and abortion could become any more controversial or dramatic. But there was no way to know a draft opinion overturning Roe v. Wade would be leaked to the press. A situation so shocking, it’s being compared to the "Pentagon Papers" leak.

Yes, leaks happen all the time in politics – at the campaign level, sometimes from Congress, and even on occasion from the executive branch. But from the Supreme Court of the United States??? Yet as Black said to Red just after it happened,

Nowadays, it is just too easy to have a “leak” as almost everything is just a “click away” from being shared or printed. No clandestine nights at the copy machine are required.

There’s an expression … throwing out the baby with the bathwater. Well, Supreme Court decisions on “babies” (well, technically fetuses) may also impact its integrity.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: There’s no question the recent Supreme Court cases involving abortion are controversial and may have a major impact on Roe v. Wade; something that both Red (as a mom to two daughters) and Black (as a highly independent woman who made the conscious decision not to have children) have strong feelings about, albeit focused on two very different aspects.

Keep Reading ... Show less

If you’ve never thought about May Day, don’t worry, most of us haven’t.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Red appreciates that some holidays have historical significance, some have ancient traditions, and some are opportunities for one of Black’s unexpected, but often amusing and clever, comments, but May Day checks all those boxes.

Keep Reading ... Show less

To quote the lyrics from "West Side Story," “Could be … who knows …”

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Red, the theater major and lover of Broadway musicals, has loved "West Side Story" for as long as she can remember, so imagine her surprise when Black, usually only interested in the business aspects of the entertainment world, shared a “new” fact (at least, new to Red) about one of the most popular musicals ever produced.

Keep Reading ... Show less