Banter Bites

The World's Being Destroyed By Empty Words

Years of words but no actions got us here. And "urging," "encouraging," and "inviting" are just more words …

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Even though Red sometimes tends to be an ostrich and ignores reality, not when it comes to climate change; and although we may see things differently, we both know that simply ignoring it will only make things worse.

Red, being first and foremost a mom, looks at global warming and weather events that are more catastrophic with each passing year, and other environmental issues such as the importance of recycling and the impact humans are having on endangered species, from the perspective of what kind of world does she want to leave her, and other people's, children, grandchildren, and hopefully generations beyond that.

Having lived around the world, she's always been disheartened to see the careless impact we're having but only recently learned that paradises on Earth could potentially cease to exist,

I know I'm the warm and fuzzy one, but now I find myself seesawing between feeling despondent about the world our children will inherit and angry at what could have been prevented.

Black, forever pragmatic, said that the decades of doubt and actionless words are now being seen for what it is … lots of politics and doubletalk, with emotional speeches by older "statesmen" (key words being "older" and "men"). Now, we can choose to look back and point blame, or focus on what has to be done. The "establishment" will continue to function as it always has … unless it's forced to change. And science alone will not accomplish that. Here's where we need to not only listen to, but actively support, the young activists who are unwilling to accept the status quo. Or empty promises.

When Red questioned her as to whether there was any real possibility to pivot away from the seemingly inevitable point of no return, she was expecting a litany of research, including analytical data and statistics. Instead, she received perhaps the most unexpected, but memorable, reply she could ever imagine,

At first, I thought it was industry propaganda, but then realized it was not about pointing blame but looking for solutions. The article stated livestock produces more of the "bad gas" than the energy industry, so climate change conversations – and actions – need to involve the livestock and agricultural industries. And, I guess they should include the drug industry since they mentioned Gas-X for cows.

Well, there's no shortage of unresolved issues coming out of the recent UN Climate Change Conference, and if the solutions were easy, they'd have been implemented, or, at least, identified, by now. So maybe we need to start thinking outside the box. Regardless, we've got no excuse for doing nothing … because isn't that what got us in trouble in the first place?

No matter what holiday you may celebrate, Red can’t help but quote a line from one of her favorite Christmas songs, “Have yourself a merry little Christmas. Let your heart be light. From now on, your troubles will be out of sight.”

And Black can’t help but point out that the song wasn’t introduced in a Christmas movie but in the movie "Meet Me In St. Louis."

Wishing you a merry everything and a happy always!

This is one of Red’s favorite Banter Bites in large part because of Black’s “corny” puns, but also because fresh corn is a summer staple – whether cooked on the grill or in the microwave, whether eaten on its own or as a primary ingredient in refreshing summer salads

This may be one of the corniest things you’ll ever read.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: It’s just a vegetable, so how can it possibly elicit such a strong reaction from Red, while, for Black, it’s more a source of amusement and even, it turns out, admiration?

Keep Reading ...Show less

Think you can avoid artificial intelligence? Think again …

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Red already fights technology at every turn, preferring to keep her ostrich head in the sand, plus, she finds Artificial Intelligence (AI) scary; whereas Black knows ignoring reality merely postpones the inevitable, so she’s started playing with AI to understand it better …

Keep Reading ...Show less