"Head in the sand" … Is it a figure of speech or words to live by?

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Over the years, Black has had no problem telling Red that ignoring something doesn't make it go away, but that doesn't stop Red from wanting a break, at least temporarily, from all the recent negative news … and from Black's sarcastic comments.

Red will be the first to admit that she was always an ostrich with her head in the sand, wanting to not only avoid situations by pretending they didn't exist, but sometimes to go a step further and acknowledge they existed but to avoid conflict would ignore them anyway. It was just Red's "default setting" for the first 40 years of her life, until …

Years ago, when my husband got fired, Black pulled my ostrich head out of the sand and forced me to grow up. At first, I resisted, but over time I realized that it was for the best. But there are times when things become overwhelming, or I'm tired, or I can't stand hearing or watching any more bad news, so I choose to be a "temporary" ostrich. The difference is I now know to come up (figuratively) for air.

And while Red was being warm and fuzzy (and, as usual, a tad sensitive), Black couldn't help being pragmatic and sarcastic (that's her "default setting"),

Besides the fact they would not be able to breathe, it is a mistaken belief that ostriches bury their heads in the sand when frightened, thinking that helps them avoid being seen. Although as a child, Red would often close her eyes tightly, scrunching up her face, and insisting we could no longer see her.

Meanwhile, Black was curious about the origins of the "ostrich" comparison and, although she couldn't find out who started it, did find an interesting explanation from, believe it or not, Ripley's.

Ok, let’s be clear (pun intended) … Communication is critical. Whether in your personal life or in business, not to mention communication skills are transferable between the two (Black even suggested Red hold family “business” meetings). And what better time to work on how we communicate, and maybe even have a new attitude toward vocabulary and “50-cent words” (Red loves those, but terminology scares her!?), than during Effective Communications Month.

Talking isn't the same as communicating. And hearing isn't the same as listening. Think about it.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Being an effective communicator, whether in our personal lives or at work, is a critical skill but one-size-doesn't-fit-all as we each use very different methods and styles … ranging from lots of words and talking stuffed animals (Red) to bullet points and racing flags (Black).

Keep Reading ...Show less

Most workaholics can rationalize working all the time. At least to themselves.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: “Gizmos” already blurred the lines between the workweek and the weekend, but the WFH (working from home) “revolution” caused by the pandemic has destroyed the line; except for people like Black, who have always treated every day as a workday.

Keep Reading ...Show less

We all “celebrate” Memorial Day differently, but we all should remember it’s a day to honor those who gave their lives serving this country.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Memorial Day may be the unofficial start of summer, and Red remembers celebrating over the years with family get-togethers, barbeques, and pool parties; whereas Black “celebrates” most holidays by having a quiet day to work uninterrupted, but it’s important never to forget the significance of the holiday.

Keep Reading ...Show less