Banter Bites

Ever Wanted To Bury Your Head In The Sand?

"Head in the sand" … Is it a figure of speech or words to live by?

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Over the years, Black has had no problem telling Red that ignoring something doesn't make it go away, but that doesn't stop Red from wanting a break, at least temporarily, from all the recent negative news … and from Black's sarcastic comments.

Red will be the first to admit that she was always an ostrich with her head in the sand, wanting to not only avoid situations by pretending they didn't exist, but sometimes to go a step further and acknowledge they existed but to avoid conflict would ignore them anyway. It was just Red's "default setting" for the first 40 years of her life, until …

Years ago, when my husband got fired, Black pulled my ostrich head out of the sand and forced me to grow up. At first, I resisted, but over time I realized that it was for the best. But there are times when things become overwhelming, or I'm tired, or I can't stand hearing or watching any more bad news, so I choose to be a "temporary" ostrich. The difference is I now know to come up (figuratively) for air.

And while Red was being warm and fuzzy (and, as usual, a tad sensitive), Black couldn't help being pragmatic and sarcastic (that's her "default setting"),

Besides the fact they would not be able to breathe, it is a mistaken belief that ostriches bury their heads in the sand when frightened, thinking that helps them avoid being seen. Although as a child, Red would often close her eyes tightly, scrunching up her face, and insisting we could no longer see her.

Meanwhile, Black was curious about the origins of the "ostrich" comparison and, although she couldn't find out who started it, did find an interesting explanation from, believe it or not, Ripley's.

No matter what holiday you may celebrate, Red can’t help but quote a line from one of her favorite Christmas songs, “Have yourself a merry little Christmas. Let your heart be light. From now on, your troubles will be out of sight.”

And Black can’t help but point out that the song wasn’t introduced in a Christmas movie but in the movie "Meet Me In St. Louis."

Wishing you a merry everything and a happy always!

This is one of Red’s favorite Banter Bites in large part because of Black’s “corny” puns, but also because fresh corn is a summer staple – whether cooked on the grill or in the microwave, whether eaten on its own or as a primary ingredient in refreshing summer salads

This may be one of the corniest things you’ll ever read.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: It’s just a vegetable, so how can it possibly elicit such a strong reaction from Red, while, for Black, it’s more a source of amusement and even, it turns out, admiration?

Keep Reading ...Show less

Think you can avoid artificial intelligence? Think again …

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Red already fights technology at every turn, preferring to keep her ostrich head in the sand, plus, she finds Artificial Intelligence (AI) scary; whereas Black knows ignoring reality merely postpones the inevitable, so she’s started playing with AI to understand it better …

Keep Reading ...Show less