"Head in the sand" … Is it a figure of speech or words to live by?

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Over the years, Black has had no problem telling Red that ignoring something doesn't make it go away, but that doesn't stop Red from wanting a break, at least temporarily, from all the recent negative news … and from Black's sarcastic comments.

Red will be the first to admit that she was always an ostrich with her head in the sand, wanting to not only avoid situations by pretending they didn't exist, but sometimes to go a step further and acknowledge they existed but to avoid conflict would ignore them anyway. It was just Red's "default setting" for the first 40 years of her life, until …

Years ago, when my husband got fired, Black pulled my ostrich head out of the sand and forced me to grow up. At first, I resisted, but over time I realized that it was for the best. But there are times when things become overwhelming, or I'm tired, or I can't stand hearing or watching any more bad news, so I choose to be a "temporary" ostrich. The difference is I now know to come up (figuratively) for air.

And while Red was being warm and fuzzy (and, as usual, a tad sensitive), Black couldn't help being pragmatic and sarcastic (that's her "default setting"),

Besides the fact they would not be able to breathe, it is a mistaken belief that ostriches bury their heads in the sand when frightened, thinking that helps them avoid being seen. Although as a child, Red would often close her eyes tightly, scrunching up her face, and insisting we could no longer see her.

Meanwhile, Black was curious about the origins of the "ostrich" comparison and, although she couldn't find out who started it, did find an interesting explanation from, believe it or not, Ripley's.

Last year on MLK Day, Red learned the power and inspiration of the words of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Today, in these divisive times, we can all learn from him … as not only did he fight for equality for all, but his approach is proof that peaceful protests can achieve social justice.

For most of us, writing and delivering one powerful and/or inspiring thing would be a very difficult task. To be remembered for hundreds is truly amazing.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: There's so much one can say about Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., who led the civil rights movement from the mid-1950s until his assassination in 1968, and whose leadership was fundamental to the ending of legal segregation in many parts of the United States. But regardless of your position on segregation, it's almost impossible not to acknowledge, yet alone appreciate, how incredibly powerful and inspiring his words were and the impact they continue to have on the civil rights movement. But don't believe us. This goodreads post provides more than just a good read, it's a seemingly endless list of inspirational quotes while a great "refresher" course on Dr. King is available at History.com.

National holidays aren’t the time to count calories.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: We both agree that happiness has a hole in it, although one of us may only eat one bagel a year while the other tries to keep it to only one bagel when she does indulge.

Keep Reading ... Show less

A day to clean up your desk?! It will take way more than a day …

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: No one is immune from piles of paper, not even Black, the master of organization, but there’s a huge difference between a desk with a few small piles and some scattered papers (although her laptop’s keyboard needs serious cleaning) and Red’s “workroom” that usually looks like a tornado hit it.

Which is why Red rolled her eyes when Black mentioned today’s National Clean Your Desk Day, as it’d take her significantly more than a day to “clean up this mess,” but then she remembered Black’s advice on how to keep her piles (and piles) of paper under control and felt inspired. Red admits often feeling like she’s drowning in paper, but that’s because she lets the piles get out of control before reminding herself of Black’s very easy, straightforward approach to turning her mountains of paper into small manageable hills. And, significantly reducing stress along the way, because as Black points out,

Sometimes, it is more important to know what you are ignoring than it is to deal with everything in the piles.