"Head in the sand" … Is it a figure of speech or words to live by?

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Over the years, Black has had no problem telling Red that ignoring something doesn't make it go away, but that doesn't stop Red from wanting a break, at least temporarily, from all the recent negative news … and from Black's sarcastic comments.

Red will be the first to admit that she was always an ostrich with her head in the sand, wanting to not only avoid situations by pretending they didn't exist, but sometimes to go a step further and acknowledge they existed but to avoid conflict would ignore them anyway. It was just Red's "default setting" for the first 40 years of her life, until …

Years ago, when my husband got fired, Black pulled my ostrich head out of the sand and forced me to grow up. At first, I resisted, but over time I realized that it was for the best. But there are times when things become overwhelming, or I'm tired, or I can't stand hearing or watching any more bad news, so I choose to be a "temporary" ostrich. The difference is I now know to come up (figuratively) for air.

And while Red was being warm and fuzzy (and, as usual, a tad sensitive), Black couldn't help being pragmatic and sarcastic (that's her "default setting"),

Besides the fact they would not be able to breathe, it is a mistaken belief that ostriches bury their heads in the sand when frightened, thinking that helps them avoid being seen. Although as a child, Red would often close her eyes tightly, scrunching up her face, and insisting we could no longer see her.

Meanwhile, Black was curious about the origins of the "ostrich" comparison and, although she couldn't find out who started it, did find an interesting explanation from, believe it or not, Ripley's.

Happy Meals. Lasik surgery. A Supreme Court justice. Any idea what these three things have in common?

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Although Hispanic Heritage Month started in 1968 as a week-long event, Red, the straight-A student and lover of history, is a bit embarrassed that she didn't know about it, but the theater major in her realizes they're under-represented (and misrepresented) in the movies. When we talked about the comparison of "In The Heights" to "West Side Story," Black wasn't only focused on the business aspects but also how it reflects the times, and now is interested in the many contributions (including patents) made by Latinx, and the need for inclusion and diversity.

P.S. – We were both curious why the month-long celebration begins mid-month (September 15) and discovered it's in honor of the anniversaries of national independence for many Latin American countries.

Can something be "new" if it's made with "old" ingredients?

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Black's fascinated by the business and marketing aspects of food mash-ups (especially the multi-generational angle), while Red's excited that her beloved Dunkin' has collaborated with Post Cereals and there's now Dunkin' cereal (and both of us love the tag line, "Now you can have your coffee and eat it, too!). Funny thing is that we've all probably been doing our own "mash-ups" for years (ok, maybe not Black).

As the song says, "They say the neon lights are bright on Broadway, they say there's always magic in the air on Broadway" … and now it's all coming back!

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Although we live in Texas, we're originally from New York, and as different as we are, one thing we have in common is a love of Broadway, so we're excited about the re-opening of Broadway, even if for very different reasons.

Keep Reading ... Show less