Everyone talks about having a plan, but why is it when you look back, you realize that almost nothing went according to plan? (We've been there – done that – and one day may sell the tee-shirts!) And whenever Black tells audiences that life never goes as planned, everyone nods in agreement, and she then proceeds to explain how planning ahead is backward thinking. (Another tee shirt?)

Our business venture is a good example. It started when Black turned Red's crisis into a book – a business – a brand (what are sisters for?!), and planned for the book to be the basis of a sitcom – not take on a life of its own. Black explained to Red, countless times, that successful sitcoms have always been relationship-based. And we had lots of "characters", starting with the cookie-baking, stay-at-home, warm and fuzzy, mom and her older sister, a very pragmatic (and sarcastic) retired business executive who raced Ferraris and likes to ask lots of questions.

But we ended up taking some eye-opening detours on our way to Hollywood. Starting with the education world and then when we thought we couldn't get any further from Hollywood, we found ourselves (well, really, our book) in the world of criminal justice. (Really, you can't make this stuff up … well, you can, but we didn't.)

And today? Well, besides having lots more stories to tell (including how we became "animated"), we're facing the dilemma many of us sometimes face in life … what now? In this month's column, "RED & BLACK … Are Coasting?!," we talk about the challenge of trying to balance the desire to "throttle on" (as Black would say) with having to be patient (not our strong suit) to see where the road (or possibly the next detour) will lead.

So, I had to smile when Sawyer came to visit us at Mom’s estate sale. And even though I had seen her only a few hours before, I gave her a hug.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Yes, you make it rather obvious that you are warm and fuzzy. And, a hugger.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

But what made me laugh was when she greeted you by acknowledging that you weren’t a hugger. Now there’s an understatement.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

No, it is merely a fact.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

I never realized, though, just how much both Natasha and Sawyer are like you. Although they begrudgingly let me hug them, they’d both be just as happy with a handshake. If that.

Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Maybe a fist bump?
Keep Reading ...Show less
Credit: Photo by Maha1450 on iStock

Red assets.rebelmouse.io

I know you celebrate Labor Day by just, well, laboring away on Red & Black. But that’s how you celebrate most holidays. For me, I always enjoy celebrating the last three-day weekend of the summer, although the challenge will be deciding what to do this Labor Day. Escape to a movie (ok, my passion’s the popcorn), go to Dunkin’ for a leisurely coffee (it always brings back memories of growing up in New York), read, or climb into bed and watch old episodes of Downton Abbey. Or, maybe “all of the above”!

But before you say anything, yes, I’m well aware that today’s more than a day off and a potential “cut-off” for wearing white (😊). It’s about honoring American workers and all the many contributions they’ve made and continue to make.

Black assets.rebelmouse.io

I know you love history, but do you know the history of Labor Day includes violence and a deadly railroad strike? And, was a way for politicians to “prove” they cared about workers? It is too bad people do not typically walk around thanking others for the work they do (imagine the impact if we did), but maybe you will get inspired by these Labor Day quotes.

And, in terms of me “laboring” today. Of course, I am. I look forward to the quiet time of weekends, especially long ones, to work on strategic projects needing large blocks of uninterrupted time or one of my passion projects. To you, it might appear as if I am “working”, but I am doing what makes me happy. Although tomorrow morning, you may not be happy when you find all my emails that will be waiting in your inbox.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

You know how I like to blah-blah-blah, barely letting anyone get a word in edgewise?

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Is this a rhetorical question? Or, a trick question?

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Neither, I leave those to you. And, you know how things happen to us that seem accidental but probably aren’t coincidences?

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Is there a point to these questions? If so, can you please get to it?

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

As you often tell me, “Patience, grasshopper.” Although I know that’s not your strong suit. Especially not in conversations. Anyway, the other day you sent me a video about stutterers. Well, that same day, I happened to speak to someone who stuttered, and it was just what I needed.

Black assets.rebelmouse.io

The video? Or, the conversation?
Keep Reading ...Show less