Words & Banter

Are Coasting?!

Everyone talks about having a plan, but why is it when you look back, you realize that almost nothing went according to plan? (We've been there – done that – and one day may sell the tee-shirts!) And whenever Black tells audiences that life never goes as planned, everyone nods in agreement, and she then proceeds to explain how planning ahead is backward thinking. (Another tee shirt?)

Our business venture is a good example. It started when Black turned Red's crisis into a book – a business – a brand (what are sisters for?!), and planned for the book to be the basis of a sitcom – not take on a life of its own. Black explained to Red, countless times, that successful sitcoms have always been relationship-based. And we had lots of "characters", starting with the cookie-baking, stay-at-home, warm and fuzzy, mom and her older sister, a very pragmatic (and sarcastic) retired business executive who raced Ferraris and likes to ask lots of questions.

But we ended up taking some eye-opening detours on our way to Hollywood. Starting with the education world and then when we thought we couldn't get any further from Hollywood, we found ourselves (well, really, our book) in the world of criminal justice. (Really, you can't make this stuff up … well, you can, but we didn't.)

And today? Well, besides having lots more stories to tell (including how we became "animated"), we're facing the dilemma many of us sometimes face in life … what now? In this month's column, "RED & BLACK … Are Coasting?!," we talk about the challenge of trying to balance the desire to "throttle on" (as Black would say) with having to be patient (not our strong suit) to see where the road (or possibly the next detour) will lead.

Photo by OnTheRunPhoto for iStock

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

I keep getting emails about where to go for mocktails. I know alcohol-free cocktails, like Virgin Margaritas, have been around for a while, but I’d never heard that term before. Do you think it has to do with New Year’s resolutions?

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

It can if any of your resolutions are to lose weight, save money, sleep better. Or, drink less. Psychologically, January is the month when we “reset”, so a UK-based organization, Alcohol Change UK, started Dry January, where you abstain from drinking alcohol.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Perfect timing since many people shop, eat, and drink more than usual over the holidays.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

I know you used to drink a glass of Cold Duck on New Year’s Eve, a tradition going back to our childhood, but that hardly counts as drinking. But, I have always wondered why you rarely drink, but never asked.
Keep Reading ...Show less
Photo by bhofack2 for iStock

Popcorn! Quite simply, it’s one of my absolute favorite things. Starting when I was a child, whenever I went to the movies, I’d get (and finish!) the largest bucket of popcorn available. And I always thought movie popcorn was far superior to what you could make at home … until a recent trip to visit a close friend in Tennessee, and she introduced me to Great Northern Popcorn (I promise this isn’t a paid ad). Now I’m addicted to it as I can make it on my cooktop. I know Black would be more interested in the science of what makes popcorn pop, but I prefer to just be obsessive about my popcorn …

Popcorn. Just the thought of popcorn makes me smile, makes me want to indulge, makes me happy. And I’m guessing my popcorn obsession makes Black roll her eyes (although she might admit it can be a healthy snack). However, plenty of people must love popcorn as much as I do. Why else would there be a National Popcorn Day?!

Over the past few years, the pandemic posed challenges that none of us could’ve foreseen (and I’ll never forget the dedication of the front-line workers or make light of the sacrifices so many had to make). But part of me has to laugh at the irony because it ended my seemingly easy “escape” from the stresses of life – going to the movies and enjoying the largest bucket of popcorn – when I needed it the most.

You’re going to roll your eyes, but lately, I’ve been thinking a lot about myself.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

That is totally out of character, unless you are thinking of New Year’s resolutions.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Actually, no. For decades, my priorities, and therefore my life, have always been focused on the girls and Mom. But that’s all changing. And I’m not sure how to “change” with it.
Keep Reading ...Show less