It's time to talk turkey … you need to brace yourself for your Thanksgiving grocery shopping this year.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: This year's Thanksgiving is no different than previous years in that it remains, far and away, Red's favorite holiday, except this year has shopping challenges; while if it was up to Black, she'd skip the Thanksgiving meal altogether.

Shopping for Thanksgiving's always a major undertaking, especially for Red, as she likes to make sure she prepares everyone's favorite foods. It usually means a long list that requires shopping at different grocery stores to get the best prices, but this year even the "best" prices will be considerably more expensive, not to mention it may also be a challenge to find all the ingredients.

When she commented about this to Black, she expected her traditional response – Black offering to either have it catered or take everyone out for dinner (her ulterior motive being she could order something other than turkey for herself). But not this time. Instead, Black applied her "backward planning approach" to, of all things, Red's Thanksgiving dinner,

There is nothing you can do about supply chains issues, but there are things within your control. Start with who you really want there and how much leftovers you want, and go from there. That will help you identify the essential "favorite" dishes so that you can create your shopping list. Then get an early start on your grocery shopping.

It often amazes Red, while at the same time making her laugh, at how easily she jumps straight to being overly emotional and reactive, rather than stepping back and letting logic and common sense prevail. But that's what Black's for – to remind her to focus on what she can control and try to forget or, at least, keep in perspective everything else.

As she said to Black,

In other words, "streamline" Thanksgiving dinner and focus on what I really need vs. everything I might want. Or, was that your polite way of telling me that I have a tendency to cook for an army instead of just my family?

In a promise to “never forget” we’re rerunning our 2021 post so that we always remember …

September 11 is a date on the calendar, but "9/11" is a date in history.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Much like JFK's assassination was to an older generation (although Black's old enough to be included), we both remember exactly what we were doing when we first heard the news of the attacks on the Twin Towers, Pentagon, and Flight 93; but, interestingly, how we reflect on 9/11 is a bit of a role reversal.

Keep Reading ...Show less