Banter Bites

A Thanksgiving Ostrich?

It's time to talk turkey … you need to brace yourself for your Thanksgiving grocery shopping this year.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: This year's Thanksgiving is no different than previous years in that it remains, far and away, Red's favorite holiday, except this year has shopping challenges; while if it was up to Black, she'd skip the Thanksgiving meal altogether.

Shopping for Thanksgiving's always a major undertaking, especially for Red, as she likes to make sure she prepares everyone's favorite foods. It usually means a long list that requires shopping at different grocery stores to get the best prices, but this year even the "best" prices will be considerably more expensive, not to mention it may also be a challenge to find all the ingredients.

When she commented about this to Black, she expected her traditional response – Black offering to either have it catered or take everyone out for dinner (her ulterior motive being she could order something other than turkey for herself). But not this time. Instead, Black applied her "backward planning approach" to, of all things, Red's Thanksgiving dinner,

There is nothing you can do about supply chains issues, but there are things within your control. Start with who you really want there and how much leftovers you want, and go from there. That will help you identify the essential "favorite" dishes so that you can create your shopping list. Then get an early start on your grocery shopping.

It often amazes Red, while at the same time making her laugh, at how easily she jumps straight to being overly emotional and reactive, rather than stepping back and letting logic and common sense prevail. But that's what Black's for – to remind her to focus on what she can control and try to forget or, at least, keep in perspective everything else.

As she said to Black,

In other words, "streamline" Thanksgiving dinner and focus on what I really need vs. everything I might want. Or, was that your polite way of telling me that I have a tendency to cook for an army instead of just my family?

No matter what holiday you may celebrate, Red can’t help but quote a line from one of her favorite Christmas songs, “Have yourself a merry little Christmas. Let your heart be light. From now on, your troubles will be out of sight.”

And Black can’t help but point out that the song wasn’t introduced in a Christmas movie but in the movie "Meet Me In St. Louis."

Wishing you a merry everything and a happy always!

This is one of Red’s favorite Banter Bites in large part because of Black’s “corny” puns, but also because fresh corn is a summer staple – whether cooked on the grill or in the microwave, whether eaten on its own or as a primary ingredient in refreshing summer salads

This may be one of the corniest things you’ll ever read.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: It’s just a vegetable, so how can it possibly elicit such a strong reaction from Red, while, for Black, it’s more a source of amusement and even, it turns out, admiration?

Keep Reading ...Show less

Think you can avoid artificial intelligence? Think again …

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Red already fights technology at every turn, preferring to keep her ostrich head in the sand, plus, she finds Artificial Intelligence (AI) scary; whereas Black knows ignoring reality merely postpones the inevitable, so she’s started playing with AI to understand it better …

Keep Reading ...Show less