Words & Banter

Thank You For The Thank You

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

I just had a very interesting call with the woman from Alarm Masters.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Is this one of your usual vents, or do I actually need to pay attention?

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

Actually, neither. My home alarm system's siren went off in the middle of the night and scared us all to death. Luckily, it was just a malfunction, so I called them as soon as they opened to see if they could send someone out. And less than two hours later they had a repairman at my door!

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

And, you are telling me this … why?

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

Because after he left, I called their office to thank them for getting someone out so quickly. They always provide great service, but this was exceptional.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

I bet that shocked them. People typically call businesses to complain – not to compliment.

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

Exactly. I could tell that she was very surprised which quickly turned into being appreciative. It was such a small thing on my part, but I think it made a difference in her day.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

And, will probably create a lasting memory. As will this call, as I am used to you calling me to vent – not compliment. Now, is there anything else you need to tell me? Or, can I get back to work?

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

No, that's it. But I guess I could thank you for listening.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

No, save that "thank you" for someone who would appreciate it.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

It’s January, and everyone’s probably tired of reading about New Year’s resolutions.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Not me. Since I never make them, I never feel the need to read about them.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Of course, you don’t. So, what should we write about?

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

How about that we celebrate some of our favorite things in January?

So many “National Days” in January are fun (we’ve written about them over the years) and remind us of some of our favorite things. (Can you pick which are Red’s favorite holidays and which are Black’s?) And whether or not you make resolutions, it’s always important to have a sense of humor and enjoy the simpler things in life …

Answer: Red’s favorites are Bagels, Popcorn, and Hugging. Black’s are Clean Desk, Bagels, and Backward.

Wishing you Happy 2024 – with new beginnings and much more!

Photo by AlexRaths for iStock

The years may fly by (they say the older you get, the quicker time flies), and how we spend New Year’s Eve (see below) may – or may not – change, but our wish for a Happy New Year remains the same!

And although we may be counting down to the end of 2023, it’s important to appreciate each and every day of the new year.

Red assets.rebelmouse.io

I remember when I was growing up and old enough to stay home alone (long before the movie “ Home Alone”) on New Year’s Eve. Our parents may have gone out to celebrate, but I had the perfect evening. Before they left, they’d get me my favorite takeout Chinese food (again, long before the days of food delivery services), and I’d savor the egg drop soup with wontons and a large container of pork fried rice, knowing that I didn’t have to share with anyone. Then, I’d settle in for a night of old movies on TV, only taking a short break to watch the ball come down in Times Square , before going back to watching movies for hours. (Long after my parents had come home and gone to sleep.)

Fast forward more decades than I care to admit, and my favorite way to celebrate New Year’s Eve is pretty much the same. Except now, what would be even more perfect would be to have my daughters home with me.

Black assets.rebelmouse.io

I started to say that Red has always needed to get a life, but the reality is that I understand why she likes a quiet New Year’s Eve and has created her own “special” tradition. Over the years, I would celebrate New Year’s Eve by going out to a “special” dinner with my spouse or significant other (if applicable) and dear friends. The funny thing is the older we get, the earlier we return home. We tell ourselves it is because we do not want to be on the roads with the drunks, but that does not explain why we all admit we usually are asleep well before midnight.

Whether celebrating by yourself or with others … whether you find yourself feeling extra warm and fuzzy and reminiscing at midnight, like Red, or being pragmatically optimistic, like Black, who will raise a glass and toast her friends as well as the promise and hope that the new year offers us all … we want to wish you,

Happy New Year! And may 2023 be filled with health and happiness, love and laughter.