Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

I just had a very interesting call with the woman from Alarm Masters.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Is this one of your usual vents, or do I actually need to pay attention?

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

Actually, neither. My home alarm system's siren went off in the middle of the night and scared us all to death. Luckily, it was just a malfunction, so I called them as soon as they opened to see if they could send someone out. And less than two hours later they had a repairman at my door!

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

And, you are telling me this … why?

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

Because after he left, I called their office to thank them for getting someone out so quickly. They always provide great service, but this was exceptional.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

I bet that shocked them. People typically call businesses to complain – not to compliment.

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

Exactly. I could tell that she was very surprised which quickly turned into being appreciative. It was such a small thing on my part, but I think it made a difference in her day.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

And, will probably create a lasting memory. As will this call, as I am used to you calling me to vent – not compliment. Now, is there anything else you need to tell me? Or, can I get back to work?

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

No, that's it. But I guess I could thank you for listening.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

No, save that "thank you" for someone who would appreciate it.

So, I had to smile when Sawyer came to visit us at Mom’s estate sale. And even though I had seen her only a few hours before, I gave her a hug.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Yes, you make it rather obvious that you are warm and fuzzy. And, a hugger.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

But what made me laugh was when she greeted you by acknowledging that you weren’t a hugger. Now there’s an understatement.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

No, it is merely a fact.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

I never realized, though, just how much both Natasha and Sawyer are like you. Although they begrudgingly let me hug them, they’d both be just as happy with a handshake. If that.

Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Maybe a fist bump?
Keep Reading ...Show less
Credit: Photo by Maha1450 on iStock

Red assets.rebelmouse.io

I know you celebrate Labor Day by just, well, laboring away on Red & Black. But that’s how you celebrate most holidays. For me, I always enjoy celebrating the last three-day weekend of the summer, although the challenge will be deciding what to do this Labor Day. Escape to a movie (ok, my passion’s the popcorn), go to Dunkin’ for a leisurely coffee (it always brings back memories of growing up in New York), read, or climb into bed and watch old episodes of Downton Abbey. Or, maybe “all of the above”!

But before you say anything, yes, I’m well aware that today’s more than a day off and a potential “cut-off” for wearing white (😊). It’s about honoring American workers and all the many contributions they’ve made and continue to make.

Black assets.rebelmouse.io

I know you love history, but do you know the history of Labor Day includes violence and a deadly railroad strike? And, was a way for politicians to “prove” they cared about workers? It is too bad people do not typically walk around thanking others for the work they do (imagine the impact if we did), but maybe you will get inspired by these Labor Day quotes.

And, in terms of me “laboring” today. Of course, I am. I look forward to the quiet time of weekends, especially long ones, to work on strategic projects needing large blocks of uninterrupted time or one of my passion projects. To you, it might appear as if I am “working”, but I am doing what makes me happy. Although tomorrow morning, you may not be happy when you find all my emails that will be waiting in your inbox.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

You know how I like to blah-blah-blah, barely letting anyone get a word in edgewise?

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Is this a rhetorical question? Or, a trick question?

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Neither, I leave those to you. And, you know how things happen to us that seem accidental but probably aren’t coincidences?

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Is there a point to these questions? If so, can you please get to it?

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

As you often tell me, “Patience, grasshopper.” Although I know that’s not your strong suit. Especially not in conversations. Anyway, the other day you sent me a video about stutterers. Well, that same day, I happened to speak to someone who stuttered, and it was just what I needed.

Black assets.rebelmouse.io

The video? Or, the conversation?
Keep Reading ...Show less