Words & Banter

RED & BLACK … And Jewish Christmas Carols?

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Well, the “silly season,” as I call it, is in full swing, and, as always, there’s plenty to do. Although I’ve managed to get the house decorated, so that’s off my holiday to-do list.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

It always makes me laugh that a nice Jewish girl dresses her hallway bear in a Santa outfit.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

But Santas, reindeer, and snowmen aren’t religious; they’re seasonal. It’s fun and festive and makes the house feel warm and cozy.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Christmas carols are seasonal as well. Unfortunately, you cannot escape them, which drives me crazy. Although I laugh when I think about their “Jewish connection”.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

What are you talking about?

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

The fact that many of the most beloved Christmas carols were written by Jews. Songs like “Santa Baby,” “I’ll Be Home For Christmas,” and “Silver Bells.” Even “The Christmas Song” was written by a Jew.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

And don’t forget probably the most famous of them all – “White Christmas” – with its music and lyrics by Irving Berlin. I love that song, plus the movie with Bing Crosby and Danny Kaye, which is a holiday classic.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Since many of the great songwriters back then were Jewish, it is not surprising that they also wrote songs for the holidays.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

True. After all, Irving Berlin also wrote “Easter Parade,” which is another one of my favorite movies. But since he’s probably one of the greatest American songwriters, it wouldn’t surprise me if he had a song for every holiday. But they aren’t religious songs.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Or, religious movies. One turned Christmas into a holiday about snow, and the other made Easter more of a fashion show. The funny thing is some people even consider “Die Hard” a Christmas movie. Regardless, the exit music, “Let It Snow, Let It Snow, Let It Snow” was also written by a Jew.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Hey, I’m one of those people! It’s one of my favorite movies, and because it takes place over Christmas, we decided to watch it last Christmas. And now it may become a new tradition. Anyway, most Christmas carols aren’t religious. They’re about the spirit of the holiday and the season.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Exactly. No lyrics about “shopping until you’re dropping” or “buy yourself a merry little Christmas.” However, that is probably because they were written a long time ago, well before we were born, when things were very different.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

It makes you wonder what they’d write about today, especially given the non-stop focus on holiday shopping, starting well before Black Friday and even continuing after Christmas.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Forget “dreaming of a white Christmas” … sounds like you are dreaming of a commercial-free holiday season. That will never happen, as it is the most critical time of year for retailers.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

I know that Chanukah usually falls around the same time as Christmas, and there’s even some overlap this year, but it’s a relatively minor holiday. Yes, there’s some gift giving, but not on the scale of gifts to be found under the Christmas tree. And we always light the menorah.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Which is important. It is a way to stay connected with the meaning of the holiday. This time of year is supposed to be about people. And, celebration. And, traditions.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Says the woman who hates the holidays.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

I hate “forced” celebrations. And, all the commercialization. And, over-indulgence.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

That makes sense, but you couldn’t have always felt this way. Don’t you have any childhood memories of the holidays?

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Of course, I do. They were simpler times. And, as much as I do not tend to look back, I remember being in the hospital one Christmas. I was only about five, and a gentleman dressed as Santa was delivering gifts to everyone. When he came to my bed, I refused the gift telling him I was Jewish and did not celebrate Christmas.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Not the holiday memory I was expecting. Regardless, that must have surprised him. What did he say?

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

He leaned over, pulled his fake white beard away from his face, whispered something Yiddish in my ear, and then said, “It’s ok, so am I.”

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

That’s hilarious. Leave it to you to find a Jewish Santa!

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Obviously, it is one of my favorite holiday memories as it has stayed with me all these years. But, for me, it is the spirit of the holiday. He was doing for others. And, allowing some other “Santa” to be home with his family.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Careful, you’re beginning to sound warm and fuzzy. Which is what the holidays are about.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

And, traditions. They go together like Christmas and Chinese food.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Talk about a holiday tradition! Which reminds me of one of the funniest YouTube videos you have ever sent me … when Justice Elena Kagan, at her Supreme Court confirmation hearing, was asked where she was at Christmas, she replied, “You know, like all Jews, I was probably at a Chinese restaurant.”

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Not only was that a very quick and hilarious reply, but probably true.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

We not only order Chinese take-out on Christmas but also on New Year’s Eve and then watch some movies and try to stay awake until midnight.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Well, that reminds me of another popular Irving Berlin song, “Happy Holiday,” that was introduced during the New Year’s Eve scene in the movie, "Holiday Inn."

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

And is a perfect lead-in to wishing everyone very Happy Holidays (whatever you celebrate), and a happy and healthy New Year.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

As much of a history buff as I am, I’m embarrassed to admit that for a long time, I didn’t know March was Women’s History Month. But now that I do, I’m amazed by all the inspirational stories of women’s remarkable achievements.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Too bad Natasha and Sawyer do not still live at home; it would be fun to start a conversation by asking them what women they find inspiring.

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

I already know who they would pick. The first woman to race the road course at Indianapolis Motor Speedway. And I’d have to agree with them. Your Ferrari racing has made an impact on so many people. But especially girls.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Until you mentioned it several years ago, I never thought about that. In the 1970s, I was one of the few women in business school. I then made a career in the male-dominated oil and gas industry. I am used to being a “token” female.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Trust me. I watch people whenever we’ve done speaking engagements. It’s predictable ... we put up the family tree, and Natasha and Sawyer get awws, but your two racecars get everyone’s attention.
Keep Reading ...Show less
Image by filipefrazao on iStock

Were you like Red and shocked when the actor Chadwick Boseman died at the age of 43 after battling colon cancer for years? Cancer isn’t only for older people, and recent studies show more people under 50 are getting cancer. (Doctors aren’t sure why but suspect it may be due to less physical activity, more highly processed foods, and new toxins.) That’s why cancer screenings are more important than ever!

February may be Cancer Prevention Month – but we need to do it all year! Every year. And is why we’re rerunning last year’s post …

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

I know that cancer isn’t the “death sentence” it used to be when we were growing up, but it’s still a very scary word. Especially if it’s heard “close to home”.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

When we were young, the word was rarely said. And if it was, it was whispered or referred to as the “ c-word.”

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Kind of like when I had my two miscarriages. No one wanted even to acknowledge, let alone talk about, them. Which made it all the more difficult to get through it, although intellectually, I knew it was not uncommon.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Unfortunately, neither is cancer. It is the second-leading cause of death in the world, surpassed only by heart disease. But, at least, it is no longer a taboo subject.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Please don’t make this about numbers. It’s about people. Which you should know. I’m sure you remember when Daddy was diagnosed with parotid gland cancer , which luckily was treatable. And I’ve had skin cancer, although I was very fortunate, it was caught early and easily treated.
Keep Reading ...Show less
Image by farakos on iStock

Even though Red’sthe warm and fuzzy one and Black’s extremely pragmatic, we both think of hearts on Valentine’s Day. Just not in quite the same way …

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Happy Valentine’s Day. And before you say anything, yes, I know you don’t celebrate holidays, so just humor me.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

But, I do “celebrate” February being American Heart Month since heart disease is the leading cause of death – for both men and women.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Gee, that’s one way to turn a “fun” holiday into a real downer. Today’s supposed to be about letting people you love and care about know that you’re thinking of them. Think Hallmark cards, squishy teddy bears, chocolate hearts.
Keep Reading ...Show less