Memory Lane

You’ve Got To Hand It … To Minnie Mouse

Photo courtesy of Black

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

I’m curious, since you were recently at the Make-A-Wish conference at Disney World in Orlando, did you take your Minnie Mouse ears or oversized Mickey Mouse hands with you?

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

No, but I told a few people how I wore them on “Dress as your favorite character day” when we were teaching at KIPP Houston High School.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

That was one of the funniest Red & Black classes. Ever.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

The funny thing is that other than wearing the ears and oversized hands, everything else was impromptu.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Perhaps, but I also remember you wore a short black leather skirt and your usual Christian Louboutin black heels with red soles, except this time they were boots. Which, I might add, are the perfect Minnie Mouse colors.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Well, there was no way I would wear a red polka dress.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Which you proceeded to explain to the students is also how Minnie feels. That she only wears it “at work” because she’s paid to. After all, she’s a business tycoon, and prefers designer clothing to tacky dresses. Not to mention, outside of work, she’d never wear the same exact outfit every day.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Yes, and your point is?

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

That alone was funny enough but explaining it while “in character” and gesturing with those oversized white hands, just made every word hilarious.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

I did not even need to do a squeaky Minnie Mouse voice.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

All I know is that if someone had told me when we were kids and visiting Disney World shortly after they opened, that my big sister would one day entertain high school seniors with a business lesson about Minnie while “in costume”, I’d have said they were crazy.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

I cannot believe that was 50 years ago. And, that Mickey and Minnie were born on the same day and are over 90 years old. Animation is the ultimate fountain of youth.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Is that why you like to use our animated creatures, rather than us, as often as possible?! But if they’re ageless, what determines their birthday?

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

November 18, 1928, was the day “Steamboat Willy,” the animated short film that made Mickey (and his girlfriend, Minnie) famous, was released.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Even though they were never my favorite cartoon characters, I still remember the first time I saw that film. It was somewhere on Main Street, USA at Disney World, and it was in black and white. I’ve never forgotten it.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

I am fascinated by how one animated short became an entertainment empire. And, to think that Mickey was a mouse because Walt Disney signed over the rights to his first creation, Oswald the Lucky Rabbit.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Is that why when Red & Black was first created, you refused to give over the rights to anything and everything that we created? I always assumed it was because you were a control freak.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

I admit I am a control freak, but would like to think it is selective. For example, controlling the Red & Black brand so that it represents what we stand for and believe. When you say “Disney,” it conjures up an image of being wholesome and family appropriate. And, Mickey and Minnie are an integral part of that. It is the power of a brand and has made Disney the brand it is today.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Yes, and I remember you telling that to the students, even going so far as to explain the value of the brand as an intangible asset. It was probably the funniest explanation of the concept anyone’s ever heard, but that’s because you did it while wearing those oversized white mouse gloves.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Who knew that Minnie could make learning so much fun?

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

So, what do you think Mickey would’ve thought of that? Especially as he’s used to getting top billing.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

I know that Mickey may get most of the attention, and even his own day, but never underestimate the power of Minnie …

‘Tis the season for joyous celebrations – of whatever holiday you may celebrate. And fond memories. Even though Red wasn’t born when this happened, it’s still one of her holiday favorites (yes, she initially thought Black must have been on the “naughty list”) and a reminder of what the holidays are truly all about.

BLACK: I do not know at what age my Christmas memories began, but I do remember being very young and in awe of a very large – and very well decorated – Christmas tree in our family room. I even remember peeking down the stairs late one evening and seeing my mother standing extremely close to Santa Claus. OK, you might not find that an unusual memory, except my family is Jewish.

Keep Reading ...Show less
Photo by klohka on iStock

For those of you who have followed us for years, you know what’s coming … a naked turkey story. Because as soon as Black wrote it, it became a Thanksgiving tradition.

Black typically doesn’t reminisce, so her memories of a perfect turkey that made for a perfect Thanksgiving (for her) have become the perfect way for us to wish you a very Happy Thanksgiving. May your day be filled with family and friends and create memories that will last a lifetime.

Today is Thanksgiving, and I cannot help but wonder why we are online. However, everyone has their own way of celebrating. I know that Red is in the kitchen cooking – and watching a marathon of "The Godfather" movies. Which is perfect as turkeys take such a long time to cook and patience is important when you want it perfectly browned. So inviting, so appetizing, so … naked?

Keep Reading ...Show less
True
Photo by Red

It was one of those mindless questions, “What was your favorite childhood book?” And although I couldn’t answer the question, it brought back wonderful memories of my favorite book while I was still living at home. Which recently turned into a new tradition … and maybe the highlight of my summer …

Keep Reading ...Show less