Words & Banter

Election Day. Votes = Voices!

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Well, it’s been a week since Election Day, and although it was only the mid-terms, I felt like in the weeks running up to it, it received almost as much media coverage and attention as a presidential election.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

That is because so much was on the line. The “hype” was that there would be a “red wave” and the Republicans would dominate. And, easily take control of Congress. It never happened.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

It certainly proved not to count your chickens before they hatch, that it’s not over until the fat lady sings, oh, I could go on and on.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

You can stop with the idioms, especially since I am not sure the “fat lady” one is PC (politically correct). But, the results show that voters were much more levelheaded than the media gave them credit for being.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Which, given how disheartened I’ve felt in the last few years, I found to be a huge relief. And although I wasn’t surprised at what happened here in Texas, the results throughout the rest of the country definitely caught me by surprise.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Maybe we all are just tired of all the extreme rhetoric on both sides – the radical Republicans and the progressive Democrats. Maybe even longing for the days when the two parties had different beliefs in the role of government and fiscal policy, but still shared an underlying belief in democracy. And, the right for people’s voices to be heard.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

I know that many people thought democracy was “on the line,” but on reflection, it seems that abortion’s what got so many people out to vote. After Roe v. Wade was overturned, it became a major issue and, no doubt, got many women and younger people out to vote.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

To a great extent, abortion was tied to democracy, as it appeared to be a partisan decision from the Supreme Court, not a reflection of what the people wanted. Just look at the results when some states made abortion a line item, a referendum, that people could vote for or against, separate from what candidates they voted for. Or, look at states where the outcome of the governor's race could dramatically change abortion rights policy. (Although, as expected, Texas and Florida stayed red.)

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Yes, which just shows how a specific issue you feel very strongly about can greatly influence how you vote. Even to the extent that it might cause you to vote for a candidate you might not otherwise have supported based on that single issue.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Exactly, so why not make those key issues national referendums? Why make voters choose between candidates based on a single issue? Looking at the mid-term results, it might well have resulted in very different outcomes.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Now there’s an understatement. What I find most interesting is that we went from expecting a red wave and all the “noise” about what that could mean for the country to an election that, although it was incredibly tight for some races and/or had surprising results, actually felt pretty normal.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Agree. Luckily the predicted, or maybe “threatened” is a better word, voter intimidation, violence, and other antics at polling places never came to fruition. And, many candidates who lost even conceded with grace.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

And the fact that many of us, including the press, found that surprising speaks for itself. Regardless, it will be very interesting to see what happens when it comes to the 2024 presidential election. Two years is a long way away, but not when it comes to politics, and much can, and no doubt will, happen.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

I am sure many politicians are busy rethinking and adjusting their positions and strategizing as they obviously misread the room and clearly did not know their audiences.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

And now who’s talking in clichés?

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Want another cliché? When it comes to the will of “We the people” and voting … actions speak louder than words.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

As you know, I love history, but I appreciate many people don’t.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

I am one of those people, so not sure where you are going with this.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Exactly. So, when you first wanted to talk to me about the history of credit cards, I should have known something was up.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Or, at least been curious.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

How was I supposed to know it would make a difference in my life?

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Why else would I want to give you a “history lesson”?
Keep Reading ...Show less
Photo by mevans on iStock
Let’s be very clear. Autism has no correlation with intelligence; it’s a developmental disability (or what Black refers to as “DIFF-abilities”). And it’s a spectrum disorder, which means each autistic person has their unique mix of abilities, challenges, and ways of seeing the world (can’t that be said of all of us?!) So, as we celebrate World Autism Acceptance Week, remember it’s more than just awareness – it’s about acceptance.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Did you know that April's Autism Awareness Month? I wasn't aware (pun intended) of it until I read our local homeowner's monthly newsletter and it caught my eye.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Actually, last month the founding organization, the Autism Society, changed "Awareness" to "Acceptance" to foster inclusivity, as knowing about something is very different from accepting it. But I am guessing that is not the point of this call.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Although it isn't autism, it reminded me of years ago when we found out that Natasha has learning disabilities.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

I think you mean DIFF-abilities.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Of course, that's another thing I remember. I was focused on the negative aspects of her diagnosis until you asked me, point-blank, "Why are they called disabilities?" And proceeded to explain that everyone has different strengths and weaknesses.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Exactly! Imagine the world if everyone excelled at math, but flunked English. Or, a world of lawyers, but no musicians. Some people are better at social skills, while others excel at handling technical data. Why not just say that people who have different skillsets and abilities have DIFF-abilities versus making them feel like they have shortcomings?
Keep Reading ...Show less

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

As much of a history buff as I am, I’m embarrassed to admit that for a long time, I didn’t know March was Women’s History Month. But now that I do, I’m amazed by all the inspirational stories of women’s remarkable achievements.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Too bad Natasha and Sawyer do not still live at home; it would be fun to start a conversation by asking them what women they find inspiring.

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

I already know who they would pick. The first woman to race the road course at Indianapolis Motor Speedway. And I’d have to agree with them. Your Ferrari racing has made an impact on so many people. But especially girls.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Until you mentioned it several years ago, I never thought about that. In the 1970s, I was one of the few women in business school. I then made a career in the male-dominated oil and gas industry. I am used to being a “token” female.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Trust me. I watch people whenever we’ve done speaking engagements. It’s predictable ... we put up the family tree, and Natasha and Sawyer get awws, but your two racecars get everyone’s attention.
Keep Reading ...Show less