Words & Banter

RED & BLACK … Are Second Class Citizens?

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

I had hoped that in the weeks since the overturning of Roe v. Wade, I would’ve calmed down or realized that maybe things aren’t as bad as they seem. But as we’re beginning to see all the implications, and not just on abortions, it only gets worse!

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

And, provides yet another issue on which our country is divided. It is a very complicated issue, and not as simple as answering “Should abortions be legal?” with a “yes” or “no.” Theoretically, what the Supreme Court did was decide that it is not the court’s responsibility to regulate abortion. That power belongs to the states. And, in theory, is for each to decide.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

I can’t believe you just said that. What about the millions of women who, literally overnight, were stripped of a right they’ve enjoyed for 50 years? What about all the women whose lives will be at risk because they’ve lost the right to make decisions about their own bodies? What about the women who were victims of sexual crimes who might not only have to bear their assailant’s child but might even have to give them visitation rights?!

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

All valid points. And, a very emotional argument. For those against abortion, many take a strong religious position and are just as passionate.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Intellectually, I know that. But as accommodating as I am, and as much as I don’t like confrontation, when it comes to abortion, I just don’t see any other side. I know you’re the debate queen, so please tell me you’re just playing devil’s advocate. Especially as I'd think you'd be pro-choice, not pro-life!

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Just like abortion is not a clear-cut yes/no decision, and by the way, the majority of Americans support abortion, the terms pro-choice and pro-life make it sound like it is an either/or decision. And, at the risk of you accusing me of being too literal … who is against life? And, in terms of choice … do we not each get to choose what our religious beliefs are? So, extrapolating from there … most people are BOTH pro-life and pro-choice.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Mommy was right, you should have been a lawyer. But that doesn’t change the fact that abortions are now illegal in some states. The people who don’t believe in abortions are making choices for everyone. And that’s not right. What if they try to outlaw abortions at a federal level?!

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Well, I wish I knew more about Constitutional Law. But, I cannot help but wonder if the Supreme Court, if they genuinely were trying to let us all decide for ourselves about abortion, could not have said that Roe v. Wade would be overturned effective January 1, 2027, or some date that gives everyone a chance to elect state officials that represent their wishes. Or, better yet, have a referendum that specifically allows us to vote on reproductive rights. Allow “We the people” to have our voices and votes govern.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

First of all, I have to question the integrity of the court as those voting to overturn seemed to have voted along political and religious beliefs, and then explained it as their legal positions. Regardless, I can hear them claiming that we’ve already elected our government officials.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Ah, but not based on their position toward abortion and reproductive rights. That was supposedly already decided half a century ago with Roe v. Wade, so I doubt many people even thought about it. And, I cannot imagine any candidate would volunteer anything that might lose them votes.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

No kidding. But once elected, that didn’t stop them from making laws that affect abortions. It was as if they were waiting for Roe v. Wade to be overturned.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Texas even found a way around it by allowing private citizens to sue anyone who “aids and abets” an abortion and dangling a “$10,000 bounty”. But, what if the tables were turned and elected officials had to take personal responsibility for their positions.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Sorry, you’ve lost me.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

If they vote to ban all abortions, basically taking the position that abortion is murder (their words, not mine), then if it is discovered that they ever assisted with arranging and/or paying for an abortion (legal or otherwise) – be that a spouse, girlfriend, mistress, relative, etc. – then they face the consequences of being an accessory to murder.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

They’d never agree to that!

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

And, that is my point. But, they have no problem telling others what they can and cannot do, refusing to let us decide for ourselves. OK, how about allowing people who previously could get an abortion but no longer can to instead “donate” the fertilized embryos?

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

But it wouldn’t be able to survive on its own. It would probably need a surrogate mother. Or expensive medical equipment.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

If a woman has the right to put a child up for adoption, would that right not begin at the same exact time as when it is deemed a life? I am not trying to decide what is wrong or right, but I would like consistency. And, a women’s right to decide what happens to her body.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

That’s where this conversation started! And why I’m so upset. Almost 250 years ago, our founding fathers fought for our freedom. Over 100 years ago, women got the right to vote. Roe v. Wade was passed 50 years ago, and now those rights have been taken away. I never thought I’d see the day when my daughters would have fewer rights than I did.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Well, as a very independent woman who climbed the ranks to management in male-dominated industries, I faced many challenges being a woman. But, I never felt like a second-class citizen … until now.

Photo by mevans on iStock
Let’s be very clear. Autism has no correlation with intelligence; it’s a developmental disability (or what Black refers to as “DIFF-abilities”). And it’s a spectrum disorder, which means each autistic person has their unique mix of abilities, challenges, and ways of seeing the world (can’t that be said of all of us?!) So, as we celebrate World Autism Acceptance Week, remember it’s more than just awareness – it’s about acceptance.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Did you know that April's Autism Awareness Month? I wasn't aware (pun intended) of it until I read our local homeowner's monthly newsletter and it caught my eye.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Actually, last month the founding organization, the Autism Society, changed "Awareness" to "Acceptance" to foster inclusivity, as knowing about something is very different from accepting it. But I am guessing that is not the point of this call.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Although it isn't autism, it reminded me of years ago when we found out that Natasha has learning disabilities.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

I think you mean DIFF-abilities.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Of course, that's another thing I remember. I was focused on the negative aspects of her diagnosis until you asked me, point-blank, "Why are they called disabilities?" And proceeded to explain that everyone has different strengths and weaknesses.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Exactly! Imagine the world if everyone excelled at math, but flunked English. Or, a world of lawyers, but no musicians. Some people are better at social skills, while others excel at handling technical data. Why not just say that people who have different skillsets and abilities have DIFF-abilities versus making them feel like they have shortcomings?
Keep Reading ...Show less

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

As much of a history buff as I am, I’m embarrassed to admit that for a long time, I didn’t know March was Women’s History Month. But now that I do, I’m amazed by all the inspirational stories of women’s remarkable achievements.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Too bad Natasha and Sawyer do not still live at home; it would be fun to start a conversation by asking them what women they find inspiring.

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

I already know who they would pick. The first woman to race the road course at Indianapolis Motor Speedway. And I’d have to agree with them. Your Ferrari racing has made an impact on so many people. But especially girls.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Until you mentioned it several years ago, I never thought about that. In the 1970s, I was one of the few women in business school. I then made a career in the male-dominated oil and gas industry. I am used to being a “token” female.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Trust me. I watch people whenever we’ve done speaking engagements. It’s predictable ... we put up the family tree, and Natasha and Sawyer get awws, but your two racecars get everyone’s attention.
Keep Reading ...Show less
Image by filipefrazao on iStock

Were you like Red and shocked when the actor Chadwick Boseman died at the age of 43 after battling colon cancer for years? Cancer isn’t only for older people, and recent studies show more people under 50 are getting cancer. (Doctors aren’t sure why but suspect it may be due to less physical activity, more highly processed foods, and new toxins.) That’s why cancer screenings are more important than ever!

February may be Cancer Prevention Month – but we need to do it all year! Every year. And is why we’re rerunning last year’s post …

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

I know that cancer isn’t the “death sentence” it used to be when we were growing up, but it’s still a very scary word. Especially if it’s heard “close to home”.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

When we were young, the word was rarely said. And if it was, it was whispered or referred to as the “ c-word.”

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Kind of like when I had my two miscarriages. No one wanted even to acknowledge, let alone talk about, them. Which made it all the more difficult to get through it, although intellectually, I knew it was not uncommon.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Unfortunately, neither is cancer. It is the second-leading cause of death in the world, surpassed only by heart disease. But, at least, it is no longer a taboo subject.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Please don’t make this about numbers. It’s about people. Which you should know. I’m sure you remember when Daddy was diagnosed with parotid gland cancer , which luckily was treatable. And I’ve had skin cancer, although I was very fortunate, it was caught early and easily treated.
Keep Reading ...Show less