Memory Lane

Red & Black Give Students A Talking To …

Although Black prefers to look forward (but work backward – but that's a video), in creating this site we decided to post videos created years ago. And they bring back fond memories about how a high school senior ended up creating eight Red & Black videos that have had over 800,000 views!

It all beganin 2012, when the seniors at YES Prep Public Schools in Houston were reading What I Learned About Life When My Husband Got Fired!, and invited us to be the keynote speakers at their Senior Summit. The theme of the Summit was perfect for us, "Life Is A Journey". We used not only our own personal journeys, but also the story of how "Red & Black" started, to talk about many important life lessons. Of course, this also gave Black the perfect opportunity to use lots of car and racing analogies, which audiences of all ages always love.

YES Prep asked permission to video our presentation, and Black gave her typical reply, "Sure, not a problem." Shortly after the presentation one of the seniors, who wanted to pursue a career in media production, learned it had been videoed and asked our permission to create an assortment of YouTube videos based on what he thought were key messages.

After getting over our shock that he thought our comments were YouTube-worthy, we told him we were flattered and would be more than happy to provide him with copies of our PowerPoint slides or anything else he might need. We were thrilled with the results, but never expected them to be so popular.

Thank you, Aurelio – for your vision … and for producing such great videos!

To view Aurelio's eight Red & Black videos (listed below) just go to our Video Section or click on the titles below:

Columbia Pictures

It’s Groundhog Day. Again! A day that reminds me of a great movie with a great message (see my thoughts below). Again. And this year, it reminds me that I have great friends. Now, you may wonder, what does that have to do with Groundhog Day? Well, a few years ago, I visited one of my dearest friends when she was living in Woodstock, IL, where the movie, “Groundhog Day” was filmed. Standing in the town square on a snowy night with one of my best friends is a day (well, technically a night) I’d be happy to repeat. Again and again.

Yes, I know that Groundhog Day was last week. But truth be told, on the actual day, I almost forgot that it was Groundhog Day. Until Black, on our morning phone call (we talk almost every morning – sometimes specific Red & Black items, sometimes current events, sometimes just "life") wishes me, "Happy Groundhog Day." Well, these days, every day feels like Groundhog Day, so I thought she was just being sarcastic, which wouldn't be unusual. When I started to reply with something like "yeah, same ole, same ole", I paused, because I realized, it really was Groundhog Day.

Keep Reading ...Show less
Photo courtesy of United States Holocaust Memorial Museum
Some things should never be forgotten. That’s why tomorrow’s International Holocaust Remembrance Day was created by the United Nations to mark the unspeakable horror of the Nazi’s genocide of over six million Jews. An event beyond comprehension, which makes us wonder why many U.S. states don’t require students learn about the horrors of the Holocaust. How can we prevent atrocities from happening again if we don’t understand how they happened before? And as we see heartbreaking images from Ukraine, it reminds us of Holocaust images, and that evil will always be evil …

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Shoes. Seemingly endless shoes. That’s all I can think about.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

I know you cannot be talking about my closet.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Far from it! It’s an image that’s forever burned in my memory. A pile of shoes, each one representing a life lost. Each one a story onto itself. Each one proof of something we should never forget.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Normally, I would ask you to tell me what you are talking about or accuse you of being overly dramatic. But, not this time.
Keep Reading ...Show less

New Year’s Eve is one of those nights (Black calls them “forced” celebrations) that often have great expectations attached to it. Many people make a big deal of it, but we prefer a lowkey approach, making the evening “special” by spending it with special people – for Red, her daughters, and for Black, close friends.

Some years it can be a bittersweet celebration (if loved ones have passed or no longer live close to home), but that can remind you of what’s most important.

So, let’s all toast to the promise and hope of a new year … and to champagne and toilet paper.

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

New Year's Eve seems like the perfect time to stroll down memory lane, although I'm guessing your memories are much more interesting than mine.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

"Interesting" is a subjective word. Regardless, are you talking about memories in general? Or, New Year's Eve celebrations?

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

Actually, it was just a passing comment. But since you've always seemed to make a bigger deal out of New Year's Eve than I have, are there any years that really stand out?

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Truth is the most memorable ones are the ones spent with celebrating with closest friends versus crowds. In fact, I think I have spent more than half of my New Year's Eves with John and Diana. Although, I will never forget bringing in 2000.
Keep Reading ...Show less