RED & BLACK: Communication, Relationships & Talking Stuffed Animals

This video contains one of our (OK, one of Black's) favorite images. Oh, if stuffed animals could talk! But, it doesn't matter which method of communication you use, what's important is that you communicate!

Curious about the back story on this student-created video?

In 2012, the seniors at YES Prep Public Schools in Houston were reading What I Learned About Life When My Husband Got Fired!, and invited us to be the keynote speakers at their Senior Summit. The theme was "Life Is A Journey" and we used our own personal journeys, as well as the "story" of Red & Black, to talk about many important life lessons.

When one of the seniors, who wanted to pursue a career in media production, learned that the presentation was videotaped by YES Prep, he asked permission to create an assortment of YouTube videos using excerpts from the keynote presentation. Of course, we were flattered and said, "Yes." (Thank you, Aurelio – for asking, and for producing such great videos!)

Stay tuned as we'll be posting more of his videos. Or, better yet, register on the "sticky bar" at the bottom of the page and we'll keep you updated!

RED & BLACK: Red: I Need To Talk To Someone ...

In a stressful situation? Have a problem you're not sure how to handle? You don't have to go through it alone. There are people out there you can talk to. Our audience in this video was first-generation college-bound students and we wanted them to know the emotions and stress they might experience at college were natural, so they shouldn't feel isolated or alone. We're so glad that segment became this video because the message applies to so many different situations affecting so many people. And has never been more relevant than today!

[...]

RED & BLACK: College ... Two Different Approaches

Talking about how to approach your time at college seems an obvious topic when your audience is high school seniors. But, like everything else, Red and Black have two very different approaches. While Red went to an "impressive" university, Black went to a little-known college. And what did they learn? It's not the college you attend, it's the approach you take that makes all the difference.

[...]

RED & BLACK: A Crisis? A Sitcom? A Textbook?

First, we have to say that the laughter came from high school seniors – not a laugh track. What we find fascinating is what the producer of this video, one of those seniors, decided what should be in this video. You never know what (if anything) is going to resonate with audiences (especially students) and we were merely telling stories of how we wrote a book intended to be the basis of a sitcom ... but life never goes as planned.