Words & Banter

RED & BLACK ... Have A Heart

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

It's already February and my plans to eat better and exercise in the New Year are still sitting on a "To Do" list. Yes, I know, this happens to lots of people, but that doesn't make me feel any better.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

You and your lists. Things like lose weight, exercise, eat healthy are too vague to put on a list. If you were a smoker, would you put "Stop Smoking" on a list?

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

OK, poor choice of words. They're not really on a written list, they're just goals I set for myself.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

That is even worse. Do you expect you will magically do it without any daily reminders – or interim target goals? And, what is your motivation?

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

Thanks. That makes me feel even worse.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Get over it. You cannot change the past. But, February is a perfect time to start again.

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

February is too much like January – cooler weather that lends itself to comfort food and just wanting to nest. Plus, it gets dark early.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Those are just excuses. February is perfect because it is American Heart Month. And, heart disease is the leading cause of death – for both men and women.

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

That's definitely a good reason. The irony is that I know what to do. I just can't seem to find the motivation to keep it going for more than a few days. But when it comes to eating well and exercising, nothing seems to deter you.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

That is because every morning, I walk into a large closet filled with size 2 clothing.

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

That's funny.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Funny or not, it is the truth. I have always been a clothes horse. Now, decades later, I have a significant investment hanging in my closet. And, since almost everything is timeless and classic, I would be extremely annoyed if it no longer fit.

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

Well, even if it's something us "mere mortals" can't relate to, at least it keeps you motivated. I just don't have anything like that in my life.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Really?! I can name two things.

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

Well, I'm not sure Natasha and Sawyer would want to be referred to as "things", but I see your point. I think I did a better job staying fit when they were younger and truly needed me every day. Plus, when I was cooking for them, I was more focused on healthy eating. Now that they're older, they don't need me as much.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

That sounds like more excuses. They may no longer need you as cook and chauffeur, but they need your life experience and unconditional love as they struggle with the challenges of young adulthood.

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

Ok, I don't know whether to start feeling guilty right now or sad because I'm not taking good enough care of myself to be there for them. And hopefully for a long time to come.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

The third option is to stop being so dramatic, and just start taking better care of yourself. Although Jewish guilt is often an excellent motivator, that was not my intention.

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

Thanks for reminding me that taking care of myself is NOT selfish, because it's about more than me.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Do you remember the airplane and oxygen mask analogy?

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

Oh, yes. It was one of your trick questions. You asked me if I was on a plane with the girls and we lost altitude, causing the oxygen masks to drop, would I first put the mask on myself or the girls. I answered the girls, of course. You then pointed out that if I didn't take care of myself first, I wouldn't be in a position to help them.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

So, if you remembered that, why have you not been taking better care of yourself?

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

Easy. Because day-to- day living keeps distracting me. At least I'm good with having all my annual exams done because a reminder pops up on my computer. And before you ask, yes, that includes having my blood pressure and cholesterol checked.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Good, because getting "your numbers" is an important first step in diagnosing heart disease. But, is it critical to realize that since it is the #1 killer of men and women, we are all at risk. You always think it will happen to someone else.

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

Well, let me break the news to you, that's just human nature. Plus, most people aren't into numbers like you are. But now that I think about it, given our family history, we may be more at risk than other people.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

How many more reasons do you need to start eating healthier and exercising more?How about the financial Implications? The cost of medical care if you get sick. What if you have a stroke and need long-term care?

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

Just the thought of that makes me sick.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Cute, but the good news is that you can always be a burden on your children; whereas since I live alone, if something happens to me, I will have to hire someone to help me.

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

I'll ignore the "burden" comment, but I hope you know that I'm always here for you.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

I appreciate that. But, between my stubbornness and independence, not to mention, my closest full of clothes, I rather do everything possible to avoid that scenario. That includes being aware of warning symptoms and going to the doctor sooner versus later.

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

Says the woman who can afford to have a stress test and other diagnostic tests done when there weren't even any symptoms.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

I wanted a baseline for future comparisons. And, peace of mind that there were no "silent symptoms".

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

As a mom, I'm more inclined to take a "do what I say, not what I do" approach. I've always taken the girls to the doctors when something was wrong, but not myself. Let's face it, most of the time stuff goes away, so I'm not going to start running to the doctor for every little thing.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

I am merely saying that you cannot be an ostrich with your head in the sand when it comes to your health. Ignoring symptoms does not make them go away. Not taking care of yourself can have serious implications. But, it is up to you what you do … you can make smart decisions now or regret it later.

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

Well, that's brutally honest.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Yes, it is. Would this work better? … Since people associate the heart with love, take care of your heart because then you are also taking care of those you love.

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

Ok, you being warm and fuzzy is a bit alarming. But it has motivated me to go for a walk and think about how I'm going to not only begin, but maintain, my "new and improved" lifestyle.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Mission accomplished.

As you know, I love history, but I appreciate many people don’t.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

I am one of those people, so not sure where you are going with this.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Exactly. So, when you first wanted to talk to me about the history of credit cards, I should have known something was up.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Or, at least been curious.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

How was I supposed to know it would make a difference in my life?

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Why else would I want to give you a “history lesson”?
Keep Reading ...Show less
Photo by mevans on iStock
Let’s be very clear. Autism has no correlation with intelligence; it’s a developmental disability (or what Black refers to as “DIFF-abilities”). And it’s a spectrum disorder, which means each autistic person has their unique mix of abilities, challenges, and ways of seeing the world (can’t that be said of all of us?!) So, as we celebrate World Autism Acceptance Week, remember it’s more than just awareness – it’s about acceptance.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Did you know that April's Autism Awareness Month? I wasn't aware (pun intended) of it until I read our local homeowner's monthly newsletter and it caught my eye.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Actually, last month the founding organization, the Autism Society, changed "Awareness" to "Acceptance" to foster inclusivity, as knowing about something is very different from accepting it. But I am guessing that is not the point of this call.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Although it isn't autism, it reminded me of years ago when we found out that Natasha has learning disabilities.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

I think you mean DIFF-abilities.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Of course, that's another thing I remember. I was focused on the negative aspects of her diagnosis until you asked me, point-blank, "Why are they called disabilities?" And proceeded to explain that everyone has different strengths and weaknesses.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Exactly! Imagine the world if everyone excelled at math, but flunked English. Or, a world of lawyers, but no musicians. Some people are better at social skills, while others excel at handling technical data. Why not just say that people who have different skillsets and abilities have DIFF-abilities versus making them feel like they have shortcomings?

As much of a history buff as I am, I’m embarrassed to admit that for a long time, I didn’t know March was Women’s History Month. But now that I do, I’m amazed by all the inspirational stories of women’s remarkable achievements.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Too bad Natasha and Sawyer do not still live at home; it would be fun to start a conversation by asking them what women they find inspiring.

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

I already know who they would pick. The first woman to race the road course at Indianapolis Motor Speedway. And I’d have to agree with them. Your Ferrari racing has made an impact on so many people. But especially girls.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Until you mentioned it several years ago, I never thought about that. In the 1970s, I was one of the few women in business school. I then made a career in the male-dominated oil and gas industry. I am used to being a “token” female.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Trust me. I watch people whenever we’ve done speaking engagements. It’s predictable ... we put up the family tree, and Natasha and Sawyer get awws, but your two racecars get everyone’s attention.
Keep Reading ...Show less