Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

It's already February and my plans to eat better and exercise in the New Year are still sitting on a "To Do" list. Yes, I know, this happens to lots of people, but that doesn't make me feel any better.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

You and your lists. Things like lose weight, exercise, eat healthy are too vague to put on a list. If you were a smoker, would you put "Stop Smoking" on a list?

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

OK, poor choice of words. They're not really on a written list, they're just goals I set for myself.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

That is even worse. Do you expect you will magically do it without any daily reminders – or interim target goals? And, what is your motivation?

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

Thanks. That makes me feel even worse.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Get over it. You cannot change the past. But, February is a perfect time to start again.

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

February is too much like January – cooler weather that lends itself to comfort food and just wanting to nest. Plus, it gets dark early.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Those are just excuses. February is perfect because it is American Heart Month. And, heart disease is the leading cause of death – for both men and women.

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

That's definitely a good reason. The irony is that I know what to do. I just can't seem to find the motivation to keep it going for more than a few days. But when it comes to eating well and exercising, nothing seems to deter you.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

That is because every morning, I walk into a large closet filled with size 2 clothing.

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

That's funny.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Funny or not, it is the truth. I have always been a clothes horse. Now, decades later, I have a significant investment hanging in my closet. And, since almost everything is timeless and classic, I would be extremely annoyed if it no longer fit.

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

Well, even if it's something us "mere mortals" can't relate to, at least it keeps you motivated. I just don't have anything like that in my life.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Really?! I can name two things.

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

Well, I'm not sure Natasha and Sawyer would want to be referred to as "things", but I see your point. I think I did a better job staying fit when they were younger and truly needed me every day. Plus, when I was cooking for them, I was more focused on healthy eating. Now that they're older, they don't need me as much.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

That sounds like more excuses. They may no longer need you as cook and chauffeur, but they need your life experience and unconditional love as they struggle with the challenges of young adulthood.

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

Ok, I don't know whether to start feeling guilty right now or sad because I'm not taking good enough care of myself to be there for them. And hopefully for a long time to come.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

The third option is to stop being so dramatic, and just start taking better care of yourself. Although Jewish guilt is often an excellent motivator, that was not my intention.

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

Thanks for reminding me that taking care of myself is NOT selfish, because it's about more than me.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Do you remember the airplane and oxygen mask analogy?

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

Oh, yes. It was one of your trick questions. You asked me if I was on a plane with the girls and we lost altitude, causing the oxygen masks to drop, would I first put the mask on myself or the girls. I answered the girls, of course. You then pointed out that if I didn't take care of myself first, I wouldn't be in a position to help them.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

So, if you remembered that, why have you not been taking better care of yourself?

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

Easy. Because day-to- day living keeps distracting me. At least I'm good with having all my annual exams done because a reminder pops up on my computer. And before you ask, yes, that includes having my blood pressure and cholesterol checked.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Good, because getting "your numbers" is an important first step in diagnosing heart disease. But, is it critical to realize that since it is the #1 killer of men and women, we are all at risk. You always think it will happen to someone else.

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

Well, let me break the news to you, that's just human nature. Plus, most people aren't into numbers like you are. But now that I think about it, given our family history, we may be more at risk than other people.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

How many more reasons do you need to start eating healthier and exercising more?How about the financial Implications? The cost of medical care if you get sick. What if you have a stroke and need long-term care?

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

Just the thought of that makes me sick.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Cute, but the good news is that you can always be a burden on your children; whereas since I live alone, if something happens to me, I will have to hire someone to help me.

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

I'll ignore the "burden" comment, but I hope you know that I'm always here for you.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

I appreciate that. But, between my stubbornness and independence, not to mention, my closest full of clothes, I rather do everything possible to avoid that scenario. That includes being aware of warning symptoms and going to the doctor sooner versus later.

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

Says the woman who can afford to have a stress test and other diagnostic tests done when there weren't even any symptoms.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

I wanted a baseline for future comparisons. And, peace of mind that there were no "silent symptoms".

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

As a mom, I'm more inclined to take a "do what I say, not what I do" approach. I've always taken the girls to the doctors when something was wrong, but not myself. Let's face it, most of the time stuff goes away, so I'm not going to start running to the doctor for every little thing.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

I am merely saying that you cannot be an ostrich with your head in the sand when it comes to your health. Ignoring symptoms does not make them go away. Not taking care of yourself can have serious implications. But, it is up to you what you do … you can make smart decisions now or regret it later.

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

Well, that's brutally honest.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Yes, it is. Would this work better? … Since people associate the heart with love, take care of your heart because then you are also taking care of those you love.

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

Ok, you being warm and fuzzy is a bit alarming. But it has motivated me to go for a walk and think about how I'm going to not only begin, but maintain, my "new and improved" lifestyle.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Mission accomplished.

Image by osbkin on iStock

Red assets.rebelmouse.io

I love history and understand that “Lincoln freed the slaves,” but the Civil War was about more than slavery. It was about preserving the Union, and about states’ rights (some things never change) and westward expansion. However, once President Lincoln signed the Emancipation Proclamation, the war between the states would be forever remembered as a war to end slavery. Although I’ll admit that I’d never of Juneteenth until I moved to Texas. And I was surprised to learn it took two and half years after the Emancipation Proclamation for slaves in Texas to be set free, but that explains why Juneteenth’s celebrated as the end of slavery in the United States. And why it was declared a federal holiday in 2021.

Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Change is never as simple as issuing proclamations. Especially since slavery represented systemic racism, inequality, and inhumanity. Real change requires words and actions, and a change in mindset. Celebrating the end of slavery is noble, but it should also serve as a reminder of where we are and how far we still have to go. Ending racism is not as simple as saying it is wrong but recognizing that it still exists is an important start.
Image by Kenishirotie on iStock

Red assets.rebelmouse.io

Every Father’s Day , when I think of Daddy, I think about alligators and turtles. I know that might sound crazy, especially as there are so many wonderful memories, but those stand out. As does the fact that every day, he taught me about unconditional love and was always there for me. And even though he passed away over 20 years ago, the memories are as strong, both emotionally and “visually”, as if it was just yesterday. And for that, I’m so grateful.

Black assets.rebelmouse.io

I know you are probably expecting me to talk about how Father’s Day is, in many ways, a form of “equal rights" since Mother’s Day was already in existence , or maybe the business aspects of it being a “ retail holiday ”. Instead, at the risk of sounding warm and fuzzy, I will just say that dads always have a very special place in the hearts of their “little girls” … no matter how old those “girls” become.

Wishing all dads a very Happy Father’s Day!

Photo by nycshooter on iStock
It seems most appropriate that Flag Day falls during Effective Communication Month, or at least it does to Black, who years ago had suggested Red use race flags as a fun (and “safe”) way to communicate with her teenage daughter. From that point on, Red never looked at the “Stars & Stripes” the same way again … because she learned flags might be one of the most straightforward and effective ways to communicate – whether feelings of pride and support, messages to racecar drivers, or even to indicate your moods.

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

This past weekend, I noticed a bunch of flags on my street and wondered why since July 4 th is still almost a month away. But this morning, I learned that today's Flag Day.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Well, for someone who likes to decorate for the holidays, I would have thought you would have known all about it.

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

I've heard of it, but I never really thought much about it, let alone when it is. I knew it had to do with the American flag, but it surprised me that it has nothing to do with Betsy Ross, which legend has made the first flag, although it seems there's no evidence to support that.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

If you want an interesting "story", read about why the American flag is called Old Glory . Regardless, the American flag, like all flags, communicates a message.

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

I know you like to connect odd dots, but only you would see a connection between flags and communications.
Keep Reading ...Show less