Red still loves the amazing 50th birthday gift she received from Black (described below) but only uses it on special occasions. (She can hear Black saying, “Using it on an ordinary day will make the day feel special.”) However, Red’s more excited about Black’s 60th birthday present (although it’s on order and hasn’t arrived yet) … another Hermes handbag. But the Evelyne is a “casual” design (Red can’t imagine anything from one of the world’s most exclusive fashion houses being called “casual”) that Red plans to use every day. Of course, she can hear Black telling her, “Well, on a cost-per-wearing basis, this one will be a bargain. Although Red thinks “bargain” and Hermes don’t quite belong in the same sentence.

National Handbag Day may be a new holiday (it was started in 2013 by purseblog), but people have been obsessed with handbags for centuries. The only difference is now they have an official day of celebration.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Red has never been known for her clothing and accessories, and it's safe to say never will be, but that doesn't mean she hasn't admired many of Black's incredible handbags over the years. In fact, there was one particular bag (a black Hermès Birkin) that she downright coveted to the point that Black used to say that she'd leave it to her in her will, and then would pause and ask, "Does that mean I now need a food taster?" Several years later, Red's was shocked (and thrilled) when Black bought her one for her 50th birthday, and although Red doesn't use it very often (she can't get herself to take it to grocery stores or to run errands), it still makes her incredibly happy to see the big orange box in her closet.

When it comes to handbags, Black can't help but reminisce (something she typically doesn't do) about one of her marriage counseling sessions with her ex-husband, Larry. He was lamenting, "She doesn't respect my money." At which point, Black couldn't help but point out that you respect people. You respect their ability to make money. To save money. Even to spend wisely. But you don't respect "things" or money. To which her ex commented, "That's semantics, but the bottom line is you don't respect my money." To which Black nonchalantly replied, "And, you do not respect my handbags."

Some things never change, like our Thanksgiving routines. But that’s ok, as Thanksgiving’s about traditions, so it seems only appropriate that we’d like to repeat what we’ve told you before …

We'll keep this simple and to-the-point … Happy Thanksgiving!

Sadie Hawkins Day started as a made-up holiday in a comic strip called Li’l Abner, but Black finds the idea of women needing a “special day” to feel empowered is … well, comical.

Comic strip or reality show: A group of bachelors participates in a foot race, and whoever's caught by the single woman in the race will become her husband.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: We may be sisters, but except for growing up with the same parents in the same house in New York, that may be where the similarities end; especially in terms of dating "protocol" as Black never thought twice about asking boys (and later men) out on a date, while Red never gave it any thought, accepting the convention that boys did the asking. (She did make an exception for her senior prom but was shocked when he accepted.)

Keep Reading ...Show less

Tomorrow’s Election Day, and our thoughts about the importance and challenges of voting haven’t changed since last year (see below) – although the stakes may have gone up. (Think Roe v. Wade and how the Supreme Court has sent it back to the states.) Black wishes more states offered referendums so we could vote on specific issues instead of trying to find the candidate that most closely represents our positions and then actually stays true to their word. Which, unfortunately, makes voting much harder than it needs to be …

So many people have fought for the right to vote, yet so many don't even bother to vote.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Like many of us, Red can come up with a whole list of reasons why she didn't plan to vote this Election Day, but what she thought was a sarcastic comment from Black would point out the challenge of balancing philosophical beliefs with reality.

Red, being that former straight-A student, remembers the first time she voted and how she felt it was her civic responsibility, but that she'd never just vote by party line (for her, it was never that simple, especially not these days). That each vote needs to be a conscious one. But that takes lots of "homework", so unless it's a presidential or gubernatorial election, she tends to sit out most of them. Which she felt was just fine, until Black pointed out,

Keep Reading ...Show less