If you've ever seen the movie "The Ten Commandments," then you already know more about Passover than you may realize.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Red, the straight-A student, had the Bat Mitzvah while Black, the troublemaker, rarely went to synagogue – so any guess who knows more about Passover, one of the most widely observed Jewish holidays?

When it comes to Passover, Red knows all about the exodus from Egypt and the parting of the Red Sea so the Jews, led by Moses, could escape slavery. She knows the story behind matzoh (a cracker-like flatbread) was because the Jews didn't have time to wait for their bread to rise. And that when G-d struck down every firstborn Egyptian male, the lamb's blood over the doors of Jewish homes saved their children (the angel of death "passed over" those homes). In short, she knows everything that was covered in "The Ten Commandments," a Hollywood "blockbuster" movie from 1956 (older than Black!) which Red has seen countless times. (Check your local listings as it's typically aired during the Passover/Easter season.)

Then there's Black, who not only knew what was covered by the movie (one of her favorites) but knows that Passover is all about four – four questions, four sons, four expressions of redemption, and four cups of wine. And she'll admit that over the years, there were Passover seders (the traditional Passover feast) that sometimes felt as if they lasted four hours!

P.S. – Last year, we wrote about Passover from the perspective of the plague of COVID-19 in Red & Black ...This Too Shall Pass Over.

It's hard not to have an opinion about this year's Olympics, but can we all agree that the athletes represent strength, perseverance, and hope?

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: The Olympics is the world's largest sporting event, and although it seems that history occurs both on and off the "field", it's safe to say that the Olympics means very different things to different people (especially us).

Keep Reading ... Show less

The "space race" used to be about countries competing … now, it's billionaires.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: We grew up in the 1960s when space exploration was in its infancy and space travel was left to the imagination of television show and movie writers; but since one of us was a theater major and the other studied business, it's not surprising we had very different reactions to the recent flights.

Keep Reading ... Show less

Coffee MAY reduce the risk of getting COVID-19, but masks, social distancing, and taking the vaccine WILL!

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Both of us are habitual coffee drinkers, so were curious about the potential benefits of our favorite beverage to lower the risk of contracting COVID-19, although our initial reactions to the study were (of course) very different.

Keep Reading ... Show less