If you've ever seen the movie "The Ten Commandments," then you already know more about Passover than you may realize.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Red, the straight-A student, had the Bat Mitzvah while Black, the troublemaker, rarely went to synagogue – so any guess who knows more about Passover, one of the most widely observed Jewish holidays?

When it comes to Passover, Red knows all about the exodus from Egypt and the parting of the Red Sea so the Jews, led by Moses, could escape slavery. She knows the story behind matzo (a cracker-like flatbread) was because the Jews didn't have time to wait for their bread to rise. And that when G-d struck down every firstborn Egyptian male, the lamb's blood over the doors of Jewish homes saved their children (the angel of death "passed over" those homes). In short, she knows everything that was covered in "The Ten Commandments," a Hollywood "blockbuster" movie from 1956 (older than Black!) which Red has seen countless times. (Check your local listings as it's typically aired during the Passover/Easter season.)

Then there's Black, who not only knew what was covered by the movie (one of her favorites) but knows that Passover is all about four – four questions, four sons, four expressions of redemption, and four cups of wine. And she'll admit that over the years, there were Passover seders (the traditional Passover feast) that sometimes felt as if they lasted four hours!

P.S. – Last year, we wrote about Passover from the perspective of the plague of COVID-19 in Red & Black ...This Too Shall Pass Over.

In a promise to “never forget” we’re rerunning our 2021 post so that we always remember …

September 11 is a date on the calendar, but "9/11" is a date in history.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Much like JFK's assassination was to an older generation (although Black's old enough to be included), we both remember exactly what we were doing when we first heard the news of the attacks on the Twin Towers, Pentagon, and Flight 93; but, interestingly, how we reflect on 9/11 is a bit of a role reversal.

Keep Reading ...Show less