Love it, hate it, or just don't care about it … but you can't avoid it.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: It happens like clockwork every fall, as Red starts to hate the feeling of waking up in darkness, she's pleasantly reminded that the clocks will be turned back shortly; while to Black, who keeps oddball hours, none of it really matters to her, except for having to remember to reset all her clocks.

Red loves the fall and winter months, except when it gets too cold, which she now defines as dropping below freezing. Although she grew up in New York, her decades living in sub-tropical climates (first Hong Kong, then Shanghai, and now Houston) may not have "thinned out her blood" (as the old wives' tale says), but it has made her less tolerant of the cold. But that doesn't stop her from loving when it gets darker earlier, and for the same reason she likes dreary, rainy days (so long as she doesn't have to go out because it causes her hair to frizz) … she welcomes the cozy feeling of being bundled up inside.

Black, on the other hand, is more pragmatic about it. Initially, she thought Daylight Saving Time was instituted to save energy but was surprised to learn it's a moneymaking strategy endorsed by the U.S. Chamber of Commerce. And independent of the fact she prefers the extra sunlight (and vitamin D), she'd like them (she was fascinated to learn "them" is the Department of Transportation, although it would take an Act of Congress to do it) to permanently switch to Daylight Saving Time since we use it most the year anyway. (Sorry, Red.) Not to mention, it would eliminate time wasted resetting all the clocks twice a year.

In a promise to “never forget” we’re rerunning our 2021 post so that we always remember …

September 11 is a date on the calendar, but "9/11" is a date in history.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Much like JFK's assassination was to an older generation (although Black's old enough to be included), we both remember exactly what we were doing when we first heard the news of the attacks on the Twin Towers, Pentagon, and Flight 93; but, interestingly, how we reflect on 9/11 is a bit of a role reversal.

Keep Reading ...Show less