Is "spring forward, fall back" just another way of saying, "one step forward, one step back?"

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: It's nice having more daylight at the end of the day, although the trade-off is it's darker in the mornings.

Not to mention you "lose" an hour's sleep. Of course, in six months the reverse will be true. You'll enjoy an extra hour's sleep, but it will get darker earlier, so the days seem shorter. Welcome to Daylight Saving Time. (Unless you live in one of the states or territories that doesn't participate in this practice.)

But what exactly is it and how did it begin? Red, being the straight-A student, was curious and she found her answers (and more) in a quick search on the computer. (It would be hard to picture Black reading anything in the Farmer's Almanac.) Red had to share with her sister that the concept went as far back as Benjamin Franklin but really took hold at the beginning of the 20th century, and finally came into its own at the start of World War II when President Franklin Roosevelt re-established Daylight Saving Time year-round, calling it "War Time."

Black, used to her sister's love of history, listened politely for a few minutes, and then asked Red if she knew why the change occurs at 2 a.m. and not midnight? And explained it was a political/business decision to minimize the inconvenience to railroad schedules. She then went on to discuss how it has become a political issue (hasn't everything?!).

Regardless of whether you think Daylight Saving Time is a great idea or should be rescinded, you need to remember it happens this weekend. For those of you tethered to digital gizmos, if you're awake in the very early hours on Sunday morning, you can watch as the time jumps from 1:59 a.m. to 3:00 a.m. Meanwhile, most of us will wake to find we have to run around re-setting kitchen appliances and old-fashioned clocks.

It's hard not to have an opinion about this year's Olympics, but can we all agree that the athletes represent strength, perseverance, and hope?

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: The Olympics is the world's largest sporting event, and although it seems that history occurs both on and off the "field", it's safe to say that the Olympics means very different things to different people (especially us).

Keep Reading ... Show less

The "space race" used to be about countries competing … now, it's billionaires.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: We grew up in the 1960s when space exploration was in its infancy and space travel was left to the imagination of television show and movie writers; but since one of us was a theater major and the other studied business, it's not surprising we had very different reactions to the recent flights.

Keep Reading ... Show less

Coffee MAY reduce the risk of getting COVID-19, but masks, social distancing, and taking the vaccine WILL!

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Both of us are habitual coffee drinkers, so were curious about the potential benefits of our favorite beverage to lower the risk of contracting COVID-19, although our initial reactions to the study were (of course) very different.

Keep Reading ... Show less