Yes, flowers are definitely nice. Cards are good, too. But nothing says "thank you" like a fresh baked treat.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Actually, don't tell Black, but Red does still make those triangular brownies, but she just knows better than to share them with Black who has a "love/hate" relationship with them. But if truth be told … those brownies are all Black's fault.

Many years ago, when Red's daughters were younger and Red seemed to bake several times a week, Black gave Red a wonderful stick-free pan designed specifically to make scones (or cornbread, if you're from the south). Black, who claims "bake" is one of the 4-letter words she doesn't use, mentioned to Red that when she saw it, she thought it might even be good for brownies, as Black's favorite part was always the edges. Red suspected it was more of an offhanded comment than a request, but thought she'd give it a try.

And the result? Well, let's just say that Red's brownies were – and remain – an instant hit with whoever is lucky enough to receive them. Even her younger daughter's teenage friends have been requesting them lately, so it looks like Black unknowingly started a tradition.

Anyway, "all of the above" is more of an aside than a backstory. The reality is that today's Banter Bite almost didn't happen, and the reason why ended up becoming a "confession" from Black as well as yesterday's post, Chocolate Chip Cookies Made Me Admit I Was Wrong? And it has nothing to do with triangular brownies.

Some things never change, like our Thanksgiving routines. But that’s ok, as Thanksgiving’s about traditions, so it seems only appropriate that we’d like to repeat what we’ve told you before …

We'll keep this simple and to-the-point … Happy Thanksgiving!

Sadie Hawkins Day started as a made-up holiday in a comic strip called Li’l Abner, but Black finds the idea of women needing a “special day” to feel empowered is … well, comical.

Comic strip or reality show: A group of bachelors participates in a foot race, and whoever's caught by the single woman in the race will become her husband.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: We may be sisters, but except for growing up with the same parents in the same house in New York, that may be where the similarities end; especially in terms of dating "protocol" as Black never thought twice about asking boys (and later men) out on a date, while Red never gave it any thought, accepting the convention that boys did the asking. (She did make an exception for her senior prom but was shocked when he accepted.)

Keep Reading ...Show less

Tomorrow’s Election Day, and our thoughts about the importance and challenges of voting haven’t changed since last year (see below) – although the stakes may have gone up. (Think Roe v. Wade and how the Supreme Court has sent it back to the states.) Black wishes more states offered referendums so we could vote on specific issues instead of trying to find the candidate that most closely represents our positions and then actually stays true to their word. Which, unfortunately, makes voting much harder than it needs to be …

So many people have fought for the right to vote, yet so many don't even bother to vote.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Like many of us, Red can come up with a whole list of reasons why she didn't plan to vote this Election Day, but what she thought was a sarcastic comment from Black would point out the challenge of balancing philosophical beliefs with reality.

Red, being that former straight-A student, remembers the first time she voted and how she felt it was her civic responsibility, but that she'd never just vote by party line (for her, it was never that simple, especially not these days). That each vote needs to be a conscious one. But that takes lots of "homework", so unless it's a presidential or gubernatorial election, she tends to sit out most of them. Which she felt was just fine, until Black pointed out,

Keep Reading ...Show less