Yes, flowers are definitely nice. Cards are good, too. But nothing says "thank you" like a fresh baked treat.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Actually, don't tell Black, but Red does still make those triangular brownies, but she just knows better than to share them with Black who has a "love/hate" relationship with them. But if truth be told … those brownies are all Black's fault.

Many years ago, when Red's daughters were younger and Red seemed to bake several times a week, Black gave Red a wonderful stick-free pan designed specifically to make scones (or cornbread, if you're from the south). Black, who claims "bake" is one of the 4-letter words she doesn't use, mentioned to Red that when she saw it, she thought it might even be good for brownies, as Black's favorite part was always the edges. Red suspected it was more of an offhanded comment than a request, but thought she'd give it a try.

And the result? Well, let's just say that Red's brownies were – and remain – an instant hit with whoever is lucky enough to receive them. Even her younger daughter's teenage friends have been requesting them lately, so it looks like Black unknowingly started a tradition.

Anyway, "all of the above" is more of an aside than a backstory. The reality is that today's Banter Bite almost didn't happen, and the reason why ended up becoming a "confession" from Black as well as yesterday's post, Chocolate Chip Cookies Made Me Admit I Was Wrong? And it has nothing to do with triangular brownies.

Happy Meals. Lasik surgery. A Supreme Court justice. Any idea what these three things have in common?

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Although Hispanic Heritage Month started in 1968 as a week-long event, Red, the straight-A student and lover of history, is a bit embarrassed that she didn't know about it, but the theater major in her realizes they're under-represented (and misrepresented) in the movies. When we talked about the comparison of "In The Heights" to "West Side Story," Black wasn't only focused on the business aspects but also how it reflects the times, and now is interested in the many contributions (including patents) made by Latinx, and the need for inclusion and diversity.

P.S. – We were both curious why the month-long celebration begins mid-month (September 15) and discovered it's in honor of the anniversaries of national independence for many Latin American countries.

Can something be "new" if it's made with "old" ingredients?

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Black's fascinated by the business and marketing aspects of food mash-ups (especially the multi-generational angle), while Red's excited that her beloved Dunkin' has collaborated with Post Cereals and there's now Dunkin' cereal (and both of us love the tag line, "Now you can have your coffee and eat it, too!). Funny thing is that we've all probably been doing our own "mash-ups" for years (ok, maybe not Black).

As the song says, "They say the neon lights are bright on Broadway, they say there's always magic in the air on Broadway" … and now it's all coming back!

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Although we live in Texas, we're originally from New York, and as different as we are, one thing we have in common is a love of Broadway, so we're excited about the re-opening of Broadway, even if for very different reasons.

Keep Reading ... Show less