I guess you can now relax and enjoy the rest of the year since Thanksgiving and Chanukah are in the rearview mirror.

red head red head assets.rebelmouse.io

Except the holiday season, or “silly season” as I call it, is still very much upon us, and there’s plenty to do, although I’ve gotten the house decorated so at least that’s off my holiday “to do” list.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

It always makes me laugh that a nice Jewish girl dresses her hallway bear in a Santa outfit.

red head red head assets.rebelmouse.io

I’m sorry, but Santas, reindeer, and snowmen aren’t religious. They’re seasonal. It’s fun and festive and makes the house feel warm and cozy.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Christmas carols are seasonal as well, and you cannot escape them as they seem to be non-stop, which drives me crazy. Although I laugh when I think about their “Jewish connection”.

red head red head assets.rebelmouse.io

What are you talking about?

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

The fact that some of the most beloved Christmas carols were written by Jews. Songs like “Let It Snow, Let It Snow, Let It Snow” and “Silver Bells.” Even “The Christmas Song” was written by a Jew.

red head red head assets.rebelmouse.io

Leave it to you to make that connection. But you’re right. And probably the most famous of them all – “White Christmas” – had music and lyrics by Irving Berlin. I love that song and the movie with Bing Crosby and Danny Kaye, which is a holiday classic.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Even “Rudolf The Red-Nosed Reindeer” and “Santa Baby” were written by Jews. But, since many of the great songwriters were Jewish, it is only logical that they wrote songs for holidays.

red head red head assets.rebelmouse.io

True. Irving Berlin also wrote the music for “Easter Parade,” another one of my favorite movies. He’s one of the great American songwriters, so it wouldn’t surprise me if he had a song for every holiday. Although they aren’t religious songs.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

He did write “God Bless America.” But, the Christmas carols written by Jews are not religious. They are about the spirit of the holiday and the season. No lyrics about “shopping until you’re dropping” or “buy yourself a merry little Christmas.”

red head red head assets.rebelmouse.io

It was a different time, and well before Black Friday and Cyber Monday. I wonder what they’d write today, especially given the seemingly endless TV commercials and non-stop emails!

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

It may have been a very different time, but the Christmas season has always been the most critical time of year for retailers.

red head red head assets.rebelmouse.io

Please don’t make this a business analysis of the holidays.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Which is precisely the problem. It has become so commercialized that it has lost its meaning. It is supposed to be about people. And celebration. And traditions.

red head red head assets.rebelmouse.io

Says the woman who doesn’t even like to celebrate Thanksgiving or her birthday.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

I do not like the forced sense of celebration and all the craziness. But, when I was married, and then again when your girls were growing up, I loved watching the excitement of children during the holidays.

red head red head assets.rebelmouse.io

The girls have always loved this time of year, and although Natasha’s now living in England, when Sawyer gets home from college, she’ll be ready to celebrate. And create new holiday memories with her friends.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

We all have holiday memories.

red head red head assets.rebelmouse.io

Even you? I can’t wait to hear this.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

I am sure you have heard this before. I was about five and in the hospital with pneumonia when a gentleman dressed as Santa was delivering gifts. When he came to my bed, I refused the gift telling him I was Jewish and did not celebrate Christmas. Imagine my surprise when he leaned over, pulled his fake white beard away from his face, and whispered in my ear, “It’s ok, so am I.”

red head red head assets.rebelmouse.io

No doubt it was one of the doctors on staff. Leave it to you to find a Jewish Santa.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Obviously, it is a favorite holiday memory as it has stayed with me all these years. For me, it is the spirit of the holiday. He was doing for others. And, probably allowing some other doctor to be home with his family.

red head red head assets.rebelmouse.io

Careful, you’re beginning to sound warm and fuzzy. Although, that’s what the holidays are about. Memories and traditions.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

They go together like … Christmas and Chinese food.

red head red head assets.rebelmouse.io

I know that connection! Although it’s been years, that YouTube video of Justice Elena Kagan at her Supreme Court confirmation hearing is still one of the funniest things you’ve ever sent me. When she was asked where she was at Christmas and replied, “You know, like all Jews, I was probably at a Chinese restaurant,” I laughed out loud and shook my head in agreement.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

She replied without any hesitation, and it was hilarious and probably true.

red head red head assets.rebelmouse.io

We save that tradition for New Year’s Eve. We place a huge Chinese take-out order, watch some of our favorite movies, and then try to stay awake until midnight.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

We all have our holiday traditions. Except for one year (thanks, COVID), I have celebrated New Year’s Eve with Diana and John for as long as I can remember.

red head red head assets.rebelmouse.io

The holidays are about time with family and friends and being grateful for all you have. And I think we should close out this year by wishing everyone a happy and healthy 2022.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

In the words of Irving Berlin, “Happy Holiday.”

Photo by enviromantic for iStock

red head assets.rebelmouse.io

I know I shouldn’t say this, but I can’t stand N95 masks! They make me feel like a duck.

Black assets.rebelmouse.io

That quacks me up. Regardless, they are much more effective than cloth masks. And, FYI, they do come in different shapes.

assets.rebelmouse.io

I just wish they were more comfortable.
Keep Reading ... Show less
Photo by bhofack2 for iStock

Popcorn. Just the thought of popcorn makes me smile, makes me want to indulge, makes me happy. And I’m guessing my popcorn obsession makes Black roll her eyes (although she might admit it can be a healthy snack). However, plenty of people must love popcorn as much as I do. Why else would there be a National Popcorn Day?!

Over the past few years, the pandemic posed challenges that none of us could’ve foreseen (and I’ll never forget the dedication of the front-line workers or make light of the sacrifices so many had to make). But part of me has to laugh at the irony because it ended my seemingly easy “escape” from the stresses of life – going to the movies and enjoying the largest bucket of popcorn – when I needed it the most.

red head assets.rebelmouse.io

Well, it’s our first column of the year. A new beginning. Any “new” ideas for topics? Something other than New Year’s resolutions.

Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Is there a reason you do not want to talk about resolutions?

assets.rebelmouse.io

Obviously, yours was not to ask fewer questions.

Black (use0 assets.rebelmouse.io

That will never happen, but you are avoiding the question. Why?

Red assets.rebelmouse.io

Because every year, I have a long list of things I want to do, and I start strong, but within a few months, I fall back into old habits. Sometimes it only takes weeks. It’s frustrating and disappointing.

Black (use) assets.rebelmouse.io

Next question. What is the opposite of “old?"
Keep Reading ... Show less