Words & Banter

Do People Really “Celebrate” Popcorn? Red Does!

Photo by bhofack2 for iStock

Popcorn! Quite simply, it’s one of my absolute favorite things. Starting when I was a child, whenever I went to the movies, I’d get (and finish!) the largest bucket of popcorn available. And I always thought movie popcorn was far superior to what you could make at home … until a recent trip to visit a close friend in Tennessee, and she introduced me to Great Northern Popcorn (I promise this isn’t a paid ad). Now I’m addicted to it as I can make it on my cooktop. I know Black would be more interested in the science of what makes popcorn pop, but I prefer to just be obsessive about my popcorn …

Popcorn. Just the thought of popcorn makes me smile, makes me want to indulge, makes me happy. And I’m guessing my popcorn obsession makes Black roll her eyes (although she might admit it can be a healthy snack). However, plenty of people must love popcorn as much as I do. Why else would there be a National Popcorn Day?!

Over the past few years, the pandemic posed challenges that none of us could’ve foreseen (and I’ll never forget the dedication of the front-line workers or make light of the sacrifices so many had to make). But part of me has to laugh at the irony because it ended my seemingly easy “escape” from the stresses of life – going to the movies and enjoying the largest bucket of popcorn – when I needed it the most.

This past summer, when I finally felt comfortable going back to the movies, I found myself in a “popcorn predicament” as the only movie that appealed to me was A Quiet Place Part II, which is about monsters that detect their prey by hearing even the faintest sound. So, I had to decide whether or not to go since I knew that I wouldn’t be able to enjoy my popcorn during this literally almost silent movie because I felt you’d hear every crunch across the entire theater. (I decided not to go.)

What’s frustrating is that I face a similar dilemma whenever I go to the movies with my youngest daughter, who seems to give me a dirty look with every bite of popcorn I take. I try to be understanding of the fact she has misophonia, a disorder where certain sounds “drive her crazy”, but as much as I love her, I have a hard time giving up my popcorn escape for her because,

Part of the pure enjoyment of popcorn, besides the taste – whether it’s traditional movie popcorn (hold the butter) or freshly made kettle corn with its unmistakable combination of sweet and salty – is the wonderful aroma and the sound of perfectly crunchy popcorn.
Photo by OnTheRunPhoto for iStock

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

I keep getting emails about where to go for mocktails. I know alcohol-free cocktails, like Virgin Margaritas, have been around for a while, but I’d never heard that term before. Do you think it has to do with New Year’s resolutions?

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

It can if any of your resolutions are to lose weight, save money, sleep better. Or, drink less. Psychologically, January is the month when we “reset”, so a UK-based organization, Alcohol Change UK, started Dry January, where you abstain from drinking alcohol.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Perfect timing since many people shop, eat, and drink more than usual over the holidays.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

I know you used to drink a glass of Cold Duck on New Year’s Eve, a tradition going back to our childhood, but that hardly counts as drinking. But, I have always wondered why you rarely drink, but never asked.

You’re going to roll your eyes, but lately, I’ve been thinking a lot about myself.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

That is totally out of character, unless you are thinking of New Year’s resolutions.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Actually, no. For decades, my priorities, and therefore my life, have always been focused on the girls and Mom. But that’s all changing. And I’m not sure how to “change” with it.
Keep Reading ...Show less

Wherever you may be … we wish you a happy and healthy ’23!