Sometimes you don't miss something until it's gone. But was it the movies? The escape? Or the popcorn?

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: For both Red and Black (but for different reasons), it seemed like the day (or rather weekend) would never come when Red would feel comfortable, post-pandemic, going back to the movies; but Red never expected the stumbling block would involve one of her favorite things.

If you had told Red in March 2020 that she wouldn't be going back to the movies for over a year, she'd have thought you were crazy, or maybe just setting her up to hear the plotline of a farfetched B-movie. But now, 15 months later, after first having to find a temporary solution to get her movie and popcorn "fix" and then questioning whether it was safe to go back to a theater, Red was raring to go. Until she faced an unexpected popcorn problem,

I checked the movie listing at my local AMC, and there wasn't anything I wanted to see, except for A Quiet Place Part II, having seen the original, which is all about monsters that can't see but detect their prey by hearing even the faintest sound. And therein lay the problem … I remembered how, during this literally almost silent movie, I couldn't enjoy my popcorn because I felt you could hear every crunch across the entire theater. So, the thought of a movie without popcorn was just too much for me.

Of course, Black started to explain to Red the history and business aspects of movie popcorn (theater owners initially resisted selling it), as well as to suggest she be patient as Hollywood's ready to make a comeback with plenty of summer blockbusters. But Black stopped short of talking about how the movie industry will probably be changed forever by the pandemic, instead telling her,

Forget about the popcorn. Think about the fact movies let you "escape real life" for a few hours, and you come out refreshed and with less stress. Which carries into the workweek. So, the sooner you start going back to the movies, the better – for both of us!

In a promise to “never forget” we’re rerunning our 2021 post so that we always remember …

September 11 is a date on the calendar, but "9/11" is a date in history.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Much like JFK's assassination was to an older generation (although Black's old enough to be included), we both remember exactly what we were doing when we first heard the news of the attacks on the Twin Towers, Pentagon, and Flight 93; but, interestingly, how we reflect on 9/11 is a bit of a role reversal.

Keep Reading ...Show less