Sometimes you don't miss something until it's gone. But was it the movies? The escape? Or the popcorn?

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: For both Red and Black (but for different reasons), it seemed like the day (or rather weekend) would never come when Red would feel comfortable, post-pandemic, going back to the movies; but Red never expected the stumbling block would involve one of her favorite things.

If you had told Red in March 2020 that she wouldn't be going back to the movies for over a year, she'd have thought you were crazy, or maybe just setting her up to hear the plotline of a farfetched B-movie. But now, 15 months later, after first having to find a temporary solution to get her movie and popcorn "fix" and then questioning whether it was safe to go back to a theater, Red was raring to go. Until she faced an unexpected popcorn problem,

I checked the movie listing at my local AMC, and there wasn't anything I wanted to see, except for A Quiet Place Part II, having seen the original, which is all about monsters that can't see but detect their prey by hearing even the faintest sound. And therein lay the problem … I remembered how, during this literally almost silent movie, I couldn't enjoy my popcorn because I felt you could hear every crunch across the entire theater. So, the thought of a movie without popcorn was just too much for me.

Of course, Black started to explain to Red the history and business aspects of movie popcorn (theater owners initially resisted selling it), as well as to suggest she be patient as Hollywood's ready to make a comeback with plenty of summer blockbusters. But Black stopped short of talking about how the movie industry will probably be changed forever by the pandemic, instead telling her,

Forget about the popcorn. Think about the fact movies let you "escape real life" for a few hours, and you come out refreshed and with less stress. Which carries into the workweek. So, the sooner you start going back to the movies, the better – for both of us!

It's hard not to have an opinion about this year's Olympics, but can we all agree that the athletes represent strength, perseverance, and hope?

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: The Olympics is the world's largest sporting event, and although it seems that history occurs both on and off the "field", it's safe to say that the Olympics means very different things to different people (especially us).

Keep Reading ... Show less

The "space race" used to be about countries competing … now, it's billionaires.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: We grew up in the 1960s when space exploration was in its infancy and space travel was left to the imagination of television show and movie writers; but since one of us was a theater major and the other studied business, it's not surprising we had very different reactions to the recent flights.

Keep Reading ... Show less

Coffee MAY reduce the risk of getting COVID-19, but masks, social distancing, and taking the vaccine WILL!

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Both of us are habitual coffee drinkers, so were curious about the potential benefits of our favorite beverage to lower the risk of contracting COVID-19, although our initial reactions to the study were (of course) very different.

Keep Reading ... Show less