Words & Banter

Celebrate July 4th … Celebrate Freedom

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

This might sound unpatriotic, but with Natasha and Sawyer away from home this year, I have no plans to barbeque or see fireworks. And although I’m not going to forget the importance of Independence Day and the fact our Founding Fathers fought for our freedom, I’m planning to celebrate my “freedom and independence” from having to do the “mom thing” this year by sitting in a movie theater with the biggest bucket of popcorn. So, while not a traditional holiday celebration, it’s definitely going to be a “holiday” for me!

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Typically, I do not “do” holidays, although I always enjoy long weekends as I get an extra “ weekend workday”. However, when I think about the Declaration of Independence , and the sacrifices made by those who signed it , I question how we can celebrate the country’s independence – a day built on liberty and justice for all – when this year, women have fewer liberties than we did in the past.
Photo by OnTheRunPhoto for iStock

Are you taking the Dry January challenge and not having any alcohol for the month? Or, maybe you plan to drink less (but not nothing), which makes it Damp January. Or, maybe this is the first you’ve heard of it. (If so, there’s still time to start!)

Well, nothing much has changed from our approach to Dry January last year, except the one who had started drinking more last year is continuing the trend …

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

I keep getting emails about where to go for mocktails. I know alcohol-free cocktails, like Virgin Margaritas, have been around for a while, but I’d never heard that term before. Do you think it has to do with New Year’s resolutions?

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

It can if any of your resolutions are to lose weight, save money, sleep better. Or, drink less. Psychologically, January is the month when we “reset”, so a UK-based organization, Alcohol Change UK , started Dry January , where you abstain from drinking alcohol.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Perfect timing since many people shop, eat, and drink more than usual over the holidays.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

I know you used to drink a glass of Cold Duck on New Year’s Eve, a tradition going back to our childhood, but that hardly counts as drinking. But, I have always wondered why you rarely drink, but never asked.

It’s January, and everyone’s probably tired of reading about New Year’s resolutions.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Not me. Since I never make them, I never feel the need to read about them.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Of course, you don’t. So, what should we write about?

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

How about that we celebrate some of our favorite things in January?

So many “National Days” in January are fun (we’ve written about them over the years) and remind us of some of our favorite things. (Can you pick which are Red’s favorite holidays and which are Black’s?) And whether or not you make resolutions, it’s always important to have a sense of humor and enjoy the simpler things in life …

Answer: Red’s favorites are Bagels, Popcorn, and Hugging. Black’s are Clean Desk, Bagels, and Backward.

Wishing you Happy 2024 – with new beginnings and much more!