I don't even know why I'm bringing this up, especially since I'm well aware that compared to so many other people, I'm incredibly lucky. Not to mention, you probably won't understand what I'm feeling because let's face it … you're not a mom, you seem to work 24/7, and you never take a vacation. In other words, you're "immune" from so much of what us "mere mortals" are going through.

black head assets.rebelmouse.io

If it were not for the fact that everyone is staying at home, I would think you were about to ask for time off for a summer vacation. Or, maybe you are planning a stay-cation?

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

Neither. I was doing my usual disclaimer before I lamented that August will be over before I know it. And when I look back over the summer, I'm going to find myself asking, "What summer?!"

black head assets.rebelmouse.io

The summer of COVID-19. It will be hard to forget.

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

I know. There are so many people, as in millions, who are truly suffering – whether physically, financially, or both.

black head assets.rebelmouse.io

Do not forget "mentally" as almost everyone, whether they realize it or not, is experiencing increased levels of stress. But, we are both very lucky. So, beside the obvious, what is your issue with this summer?

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

Now I feel guilty saying anything. But it's as if summer never happened. I feel like ever since corona-craziness hit over spring break, every day, every week, every month, just feels the same. With the only thing changing being the level of stress.

black head assets.rebelmouse.io

Sounds like that Bill Murray movie. I think it was called "Ground Hog Day."

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

Exactly.

black head assets.rebelmouse.io

So, if someone asked you what you did this summer, what would be the first thing you would say?

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

Working seemingly non-stop on Red & Black.

black head assets.rebelmouse.io

Ok, I suspect if I had asked you that question a year ago, you probably would have said the same thing.

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

Maybe. Probably. But with us trying to get our new website up and running, it has been even crazier than normal.

black head assets.rebelmouse.io

I understand. However, we have the luxury of having always worked from home, so that aspect of life did not change. For some people, their work life is now extremely different.

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

Funny you say that. I was talking to a good friend and mentioned just that, which led to us talking about when Nick was unexpectedly fired years ago. All of a sudden, he had not only lost his job, but was home all the time. It changed the dynamics of our life literally in seconds. Nothing was the same from that moment on.

black head assets.rebelmouse.io

There is an understatement. And, I remember our conversations about how to explain it to the girls, who were very young at the time. Including the concept of working from home.

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

Yes, but even years later, once divorced and "doing" Red & Black full-time, it was challenging to work from home over summer break. And that was without all the complications related to the coronavirus.

black head assets.rebelmouse.io

I know how much COVID-19 affected Sawyer going to camp this year. Not only in terms of the weeks you stressed over whether to allow her to go, but also all the precautions that had to be taken in advance and in preparation for her return home.

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

This year was extremely different from the last 11 years. Especially because, on top of all the new rules and safety precautions, it was her first time as a camp counselor. I'm glad it worked out, otherwise she'd have gone stir-crazy at home since I was restricting a lot of her normal "outside-the-house" activities.

black head assets.rebelmouse.io

Yes, I could tell the months of staying home was getting to her. If it had not been for camp, it would have been a daily battle for you – trying to find the balance of keeping her safe yet also allowing her a life.

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

No kidding. But I'll say this, being stuck at home, Sawyer started cooking more and really enjoyed it. And I did too. It not only helped occupy her time, but she made dinner some nights. And they were delicious.

black head assets.rebelmouse.io

Do you still barbeque a lot?

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

Oh, yes. We're doing lots of barbecuing and lots of home cooking. I'm not quite ready to eat out in restaurants, and take-out is nice, but gets expensive.

black head assets.rebelmouse.io

Funny thing is that your eating habits sound old-fashioned. Back when families used to have meals together at home – instead of everyone grabbing something on the go.

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

Well, we're all stuck at home. What else are we supposed to do? In fact, if anything, I feel like we're eating too much.

black head assets.rebelmouse.io

If it makes you feel any better, that is extremely common. Many people turn to food, especially comfort food, to cope with stress.

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

I don't know if it being "extremely common" makes me feel any better about it. No more so than if you told me it's "extremely common" to feel stressed out about the coronavirus and the fact it seems to have taken over and changed everything. Including summer.

black head assets.rebelmouse.io

So to recap, this summer is filled with stir-crazy and/or bored kids, juggling work and summer break, barbeques and home cooking. And, if I had to guess, you probably had an overly optimistic list of things you wanted to do this summer that is not getting done. It sounds to me like a normal summer.

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

Yes, when you put it that way. I regret even starting this conversation, but can't help how I feel. And just because we're extremely lucky compared to others, it doesn't change the fact we still have to deal with the situation.

black head assets.rebelmouse.io

No argument there. However, I was merely addressing where this conversation started, which was you stating that you felt like you did not have a summer.

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

OK, so I did have a summer. But, as you pointed out, in so many ways it was just more "extreme". I guess it shouldn't surprise me that you'd see that. After all, as I often say, you're a bit more extreme …

black head assets.rebelmouse.io

I find that comment extremely … accurate.

If you find yourself feeling, like Red, that in the scheme of things you've been extremely lucky this summer, consider reaching out to help others that are suffering. For example, Black donates to the local Feeding America Food Bank as the need for food has skyrocketed.

Turkey and all the trimmings? Celebrating with family and friends? Football games? Black Friday shopping plans? This year's Thanksgiving Day plans and memories will be very different, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. Or, at least, that's what Red decides after talking with Black in this month's column, Red & Black … What Would The Pilgrims Do?

Why should you be interested in a January column in November? Because, as you might expect in a January column, most people, including Red, would stroll down memory lane. And in 2020, it wasn't only the prior year, but also the prior decade. But, not Black.In Red & Black … Seeing In 2020, you'll discover her unique perspective that's relevant every day of the year, and especially as the next New Year is just around the corner. Plus, it includes another one of Black's memorable car analogies.

I know it can't be avoided, but I feel bad that Mom's spending Thanksgiving alone, but given the coronavirus it can't be helped.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Unfortunately, there are many people in that situation this year. Myself included.

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

Please. You only "do" Thanksgiving because it's expected of you. Unlike Mom, you don't even want me to make you a Thanksgiving dinner care package.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Not a fan of turkey – but did you know that TV dinners were created because of Thanksgiving?
Keep Reading ... Show less