Created by Sawyer Pennington

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

It seems like it was only yesterday that we were thinking about a new website. Now we're working on it non-stop.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Actually, we have talked about a new website for years, but deciding to create this website became a high priority when COVID-19 changed everything – for everyone.

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

No kidding. I was so surprised when educators reached out to us looking for online resources. But what really caught me off guard was when people started telling me my crisis, which happened years ago when my husband got fired, had so many analogies to what they're having to face today.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

We all tend to live our lives day-to-day until something happens that is a catalyst to make us stop and take notice. To have to address the situation. The reality of our lives. First, it was COVID-19. Then the civil unrest and protests prompted by the murder of George Floyd. And now, with everything seeming to divide the country, the upcoming presidential election is only making things worse. It just seems that we are going from crisis-to-crisis.

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

I know that so much of what's happening today has left me feeling sad. And angry. And often helpless. But I'll admit, being able to talk with you and get non-emotional feedback has been an enormous help.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Funny thing is sometimes I just let you talk. Or, maybe it is that I just cannot get a word in edgewise.

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

Well, everyone knows that I'm the warm and fuzzy one who like to blah-blah-blah. But I have to tell you, even if I regret it later, that right now, given all the current craziness and stress, I even welcome your sarcasm.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

In the past, my standard reply to that would have been, "You need to get out more." But, given COVID-19, that is probably not very good advice.

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

Does that mean you have no words of wisdom for me?! Wow, that's a first.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Technically, I typically do not tell you what to do. I just ask questions – sometimes lots of questions – to try to make you figure it out yourself.

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

I don't want to get in a debate with you, so can we change the subject? I'd LOVE to tell people how excited we are about our new website! Should we explain how we're starting with a few key posts in each of the sections, along with the "Banter Bites" that we launched on Twitter and Facebook earlier this year? And mention how we'll be adding new information every day?

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

You just did.

DAY 10: We're sure that, over time, we'll be introducing more sections. (People keep asking if we've thought about doing podcasts, and we have – but that topic is a post onto itself.) But for now, there's only two more sections to mention:

  • About Business – Interested in working with Red & Black (for example, as part of your marketing strategy, in terms of personal and professional development of your employees, or maybe you're looking for speakers with extensive experience that can address an assortment of critical topics), or maybe you're just curious about our approach to business? Then this section is for you.
  • About Events – We all know large in-person speaking engagements are temporarily "on hold" but years of speaking engagements before thousands of people definitely prepared us for webinars and other online events. To learn more, check out this section.

So, now what? Now that we're done introducing our individual sections, we'll be "feeding the beast"… in other words, loading new content every day!

We hope you enjoy our site and look forward to your feedback. If you need more information on a specific area of interest, please refer to our Contact information, but general comments and feedback can be sent here.

DAY 9: Black may prefer to look forward, but she'll admit that sometimes we should look back (of course, she has a car analogy, explaining there's a reason why windshields are so much larger than rear view mirrors). Our Memory Lane section will include an assortment of memorable moments and experiences.

It will be a weekly feature (similar to Twitter's Throwback Thursdays or Flashback Fridays), but we haven't picked a day yet. Hmmm, maybe it should be Monday Memories.

We know that along the way we're going to come across some of our favorite media … but until then want to mention our About Media section. Right now, it's just an overview, but before long we'll post our perspective about media (in terms of Red & Black – not the bigger issue; at least, not yet). Over time, we'll expand it to include an assortment of media related items.

Stay tuned … one more "Launch Box" to come!

We just posted our August column, Red & Black … An Extreme Summer, but don't let the title fool you – it's still relevant! We live in Houston, and although summer's always extremely hot, that wasn't the only "extreme" aspect of the "Summer of COVID-19". As Black points out to Red, even though things now seem very different, there are also many similarities to previous times … just a bit more, well, extreme.