You may not WANT to hear it. But you NEED to hear it.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: When Red first mentioned to Black that she was surprised to hear profanity on mainstream TV, she wasn't prepared for Black's response (not sure why not) which made Red laugh out loud, although the situation itself made her feel sad, sickened, and frustrated.

When Red's kids were young, she (like she expects most moms) told her kids not to use "bad words" and as they got older, tried to teach them WHY they shouldn't use "bad words". (The fact their aunt, Black, occasionally did took some explaining.) So, she finds it's sad that profanity has permeated our culture, and what was once deemed unacceptable has now become commonplace, everyday utterances that barely elicit a reaction.

Even so, profanity continues to be edited out (or "bleeped") on daytime and broadcast TV channels, which may seem prudish to some people but is appreciated by many others, including us, as an attempt to maintain civility and decorum in our lives.

But how can you report the news and not broadcast – unedited – the 13-minute film prepared by the House impeachment managers to open the trial? How can you show the disturbing reality of the Capitol being overcome by rioters without including their profanity-laced chants? To try to "clean up" the reality of the situation – to not hear the actual words spoken by the rioters, as well as the passion and intensity of how the words were spoken, and the context in which they were used – would be a disservice to understanding the horrific events of January 6. A day we must never forget.

Want good customer service? Good behavior is a good start.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: We grew up hearing the expression "the customer is always right," and Red certainly agreed with it; and while Black understood the customer service aspect of it, she did question its impact on employees (why would you "automatically" side with a customer over an employee without knowing the details). And that was before the pandemic changed everything, but especially customer behavior.

Until recently, Red didn't think much about why the customer was "always right," but it reminded her of years ago when Black shared her amusing (or, at least, to Red) version of the Golden Rule, "He who has the gold, rules. "So, wouldn't that also apply to customers? Wouldn't a happy customer be a loyal customer?

Keep Reading ... Show less

Normally, you shred important papers before trashing them … not expensive art after selling it.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Red will admit that she's never been into art, except for the Tudor paintings section of the National Portrait Gallery in London, but that's because she loves Tudor history. And although she's been to plenty of art museums, they were more to "tick off" places on her tourist "to do" list than a genuine desire to see the art. That even includes the Mona Lisa at The Louvre in Paris! (When in Paris, Black was content to go to the Louvre-Rivoli Metro station as the platforms themselves were decorated with art replicas found inside the Louvre Museum.)

Black can't remember when she first became interested in contemporary art, although it went to a whole new level when her second husband asked her to acquire an investment-quality collection. In typical Black fashion, she not only researched the art market and worked with an art consultant, but became friends with several leading artists with whom she shared a mutual passion … cars and racing.

Keep Reading ... Show less

Take one famous actor, a brilliant billionaire, and mix in space travel. Sound like the start of a sci-fi movie or an example of how truth can be stranger than fiction?

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: When Red recently learned that the actor William Shatner was going to be on board the second Blue Origin's space mission (now delayed until tomorrow due to weather), she admitted that she's more interested in history than current events, so compared it to the historic initial launch on July 20, which included 82-year-old Wally Funk. However, at 90-years-old, Shatner will become the oldest person ever to take a trip to space. (Talk about two great role models of inspiration and passion not having age limits.)

Meanwhile, at the risk of alienating (pun intended) Star Trek fans, Red's only seen a few of the movies, and Black has seen none, but we both have fond memories of watching the original TV show with our dad, who loved the show. So, we can't resist (like everyone else) quoting the opening monologue and its proclamation "to boldly go where no man has gone before."

Keep Reading ... Show less