You may not WANT to hear it. But you NEED to hear it.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: When Red first mentioned to Black that she was surprised to hear profanity on mainstream TV, she wasn't prepared for Black's response (not sure why not) which made Red laugh out loud, although the situation itself made her feel sad, sickened, and frustrated.

When Red's kids were young, she (like she expects most moms) told her kids not to use "bad words" and as they got older, tried to teach them WHY they shouldn't use "bad words". (The fact their aunt, Black, occasionally did took some explaining.) So, she finds it's sad that profanity has permeated our culture, and what was once deemed unacceptable has now become commonplace, everyday utterances that barely elicit a reaction.

Even so, profanity continues to be edited out (or "bleeped") on daytime and broadcast TV channels, which may seem prudish to some people but is appreciated by many others, including us, as an attempt to maintain civility and decorum in our lives.

But how can you report the news and not broadcast – unedited – the 13-minute film prepared by the House impeachment managers to open the trial? How can you show the disturbing reality of the Capitol being overcome by rioters without including their profanity-laced chants? To try to "clean up" the reality of the situation – to not hear the actual words spoken by the rioters, as well as the passion and intensity of how the words were spoken, and the context in which they were used – would be a disservice to understanding the horrific events of January 6. A day we must never forget.

In a promise to “never forget” we’re rerunning our 2021 post so that we always remember …

September 11 is a date on the calendar, but "9/11" is a date in history.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Much like JFK's assassination was to an older generation (although Black's old enough to be included), we both remember exactly what we were doing when we first heard the news of the attacks on the Twin Towers, Pentagon, and Flight 93; but, interestingly, how we reflect on 9/11 is a bit of a role reversal.

Keep Reading ...Show less