You may not WANT to hear it. But you NEED to hear it.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: When Red first mentioned to Black that she was surprised to hear profanity on mainstream TV, she wasn't prepared for Black's response (not sure why not) which made Red laugh out loud, although the situation itself made her feel sad, sickened, and frustrated.

When Red's kids were young, she (like she expects most moms) told her kids not to use "bad words" and as they got older, tried to teach them WHY they shouldn't use "bad words". (The fact their aunt, Black, occasionally did took some explaining.) So, she finds it's sad that profanity has permeated our culture, and what was once deemed unacceptable has now become commonplace, everyday utterances that barely elicit a reaction.

Even so, profanity continues to be edited out (or "bleeped") on daytime and broadcast TV channels, which may seem prudish to some people but is appreciated by many others, including us, as an attempt to maintain civility and decorum in our lives.

But how can you report the news and not broadcast – unedited – the 13-minute film prepared by the House impeachment managers to open the trial? How can you show the disturbing reality of the Capitol being overcome by rioters without including their profanity-laced chants? To try to "clean up" the reality of the situation – to not hear the actual words spoken by the rioters, as well as the passion and intensity of how the words were spoken, and the context in which they were used – would be a disservice to understanding the horrific events of January 6. A day we must never forget.

It's hard not to have an opinion about this year's Olympics, but can we all agree that the athletes represent strength, perseverance, and hope?

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: The Olympics is the world's largest sporting event, and although it seems that history occurs both on and off the "field", it's safe to say that the Olympics means very different things to different people (especially us).

Keep Reading ... Show less

The "space race" used to be about countries competing … now, it's billionaires.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: We grew up in the 1960s when space exploration was in its infancy and space travel was left to the imagination of television show and movie writers; but since one of us was a theater major and the other studied business, it's not surprising we had very different reactions to the recent flights.

Keep Reading ... Show less

Coffee MAY reduce the risk of getting COVID-19, but masks, social distancing, and taking the vaccine WILL!

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Both of us are habitual coffee drinkers, so were curious about the potential benefits of our favorite beverage to lower the risk of contracting COVID-19, although our initial reactions to the study were (of course) very different.

Keep Reading ... Show less