Memory Lane

With Deepest Gratitude To All Veterans

Image by spukkato for iStock

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Daddy never talked about being a veteran; I only knew because I'd love looking through old family photo albums. I'd marvel at photos of him taken when he served in Asia during World War II as he looked like such a "baby", not like the grown man that was our dad. When we were growing up, he'd wear his Hump Pilots Association cap all the time, but I never thought much about it until years after he passed and Mom received a VHS tape celebrating the 50th anniversary of WWII that was about "flying the hump". At the time, the girls were very young, so weren't interested in watching it. But I may try again to help them see that we all have so much to be thankful for, especially our veterans – the men and women who have served to defend and protect our country not only over the years but over the decades.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Technically, over the centuries. It started as Armistice Day on November 11, 1919, to commemorate the 1918 "truce" between the Allied nations and Germany in World War I. Unfortunately, more wars would follow, and it was officially changed to Veterans Day in 1954. And, while Memorial Day remembers those who gave their lives for our country, Veterans Day honors all who have served in the military during times of war and peace, including those who are no longer with us.

In my opinion, there are not enough days to celebrate the men and women in the military who serve and protect us. So, when we have an opportunity to thank a veteran – and especially today – we should do so, proudly and humbly.
Thank you, Veterans – today and every day – for protecting our country, our freedom, our democracy.

New Year’s Eve is one of those nights (Black calls them “forced” celebrations) that often have great expectations attached to it. Many people make a big deal of it, but we prefer a lowkey approach, making the evening “special” by spending it with special people – for Red, her daughters, and for Black, close friends.

Some years it can be a bittersweet celebration (if loved ones have passed or no longer live close to home), but that can remind you of what’s most important.

So, let’s all toast to the promise and hope of a new year … and to champagne and toilet paper.

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

New Year's Eve seems like the perfect time to stroll down memory lane, although I'm guessing your memories are much more interesting than mine.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

"Interesting" is a subjective word. Regardless, are you talking about memories in general? Or, New Year's Eve celebrations?

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

Actually, it was just a passing comment. But since you've always seemed to make a bigger deal out of New Year's Eve than I have, are there any years that really stand out?

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Truth is the most memorable ones are the ones spent with celebrating with closest friends versus crowds. In fact, I think I have spent more than half of my New Year's Eves with John and Diana. Although, I will never forget bringing in 2000.
Keep Reading ...Show less

We appreciate that not everyone celebrates Christmas, but that doesn’t mean you can’t have a favorite Christmas memory. Interestingly, or is it ironically, Black, who barely tolerates the “forced” celebrations associated with holidays (and birthdays) and prefers to look forward to the future vs. reminisce about the past, likes to tell the story of the “Jewish Santa”. Black may see a deeper meaning to it, but for Red, it’s a favorite and heartwarming Christmas story, although she’d never tell Black that …

BLACK: I do not know at what age my Christmas memories began, but I do remember being very young and in awe of a very large – and very well decorated – Christmas tree in our family room. I even remember peeking down the stairs late one evening and seeing my mother standing extremely close to Santa Claus. OK, you might not find that an unusual memory, except my family is Jewish.

Keep Reading ...Show less
Photo by klohka on iStock

As soon as Black wrote it, it became one of Red’s favorite posts, and now it’s a Red & Black Thanksgiving tradition. After all, what could be a better Turkey Day tradition than memories of a perfect turkey?

And it’s the perfect way to wish you a very Happy Thanksgiving that, as Black says below, is … filled with memories that will last a lifetime.

Today is Thanksgiving, and I cannot help but wonder why we are online. However, everyone has their own way of celebrating. I know that Red is in the kitchen cooking – and watching a marathon of "The Godfather" movies. Which is perfect as turkeys take such a long time to cook and patience is important when you want it perfectly browned. So inviting, so appetizing, so … naked?

Keep Reading ...Show less
True