Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

I was thinking.

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

You do know those words scare me, don't you? It usually means more work to do.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

You should let me finish my thought before you run scared. Anyway, I was thinking about the letter "C" …

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

OK, now you have me more confused than scared. You're thinking about the alphabet?!

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

I was thinking about how the quality of a diamond is determined by the four C's – Cut, Color, Clarity, and Carat. And, that it takes all four components working together to determine a diamond's beauty and brilliance.

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

If I remember C-orrectly, pun intended, the repetition of consonant sounds in succession's called an alliteration.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

I knew it was called something, just had no idea what. Anyway, the four C's got me thinking about COVID-19 and the three C's.

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

I'm not even going to try and connect those dots.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Studies that track how people get the virus, and what causes super-spreader events, keep pointing to three C's – crowds, close contact, and closed environments. So, similar to the four C's indicating what to look for in diamonds …. The three C's are telling us what to avoid when it comes to COVID-19.

Red's Head Red assets.rebelmouse.io

Would it be too corny to say, "I now "C" your point?"
Photo by chatiyanon on iStock

It seems the pandemic has resulted in people “recycling” relationships from their past, and I have already admitted to doing that and then being “ghosted” (the relationship was doomed the first go-round and trying to resurrect it reminded me of why). Although on the surface it may seem rude, there are a few “legitimate” reasons for ghosting, some less obvious than others.

Looking back to decades of dating, a handful of engagements, and two failed marriages, I realized none of them started as friendships. I will also admit that very few started with sparks of passion (I know those fizzle out), but all were analyzed in terms of compatibility. Too bad I was not aware of research indicating the majority of romantic relationships begin as long-term friendships.

This story began as an impromptu business meeting when I asked to speak to the manager of a food franchise I frequented, thinking there might be an opportunity to create a joint marketing opportunity with Red & Black. There was no way to know the attractive man sitting toward the back of the store, who I noticed when I first walked in, would be the district manager.

I can’t believe it’s already May, which means hot and humid weather is just around the corner. All I can say is … ugh.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Not a scientific term, but descriptive nonetheless. And, I hate to break the news to you, but the science of climate change and global warming means summers will keep getting hotter.

red head red head assets.rebelmouse.io

I can remember growing up in New York and summers being hot, but not like now. Of course, it didn’t help that Mommy didn’t run the air conditioning until it got into the 90s.
Keep Reading ... Show less
Photo by Epiximages on iStock

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

I appreciate that bullet points may not be the typical approach to Mother’s Day, but it seems appropriate to me …
  • Be sensitive to those people whose mothers may no longer be with us, especially given how many have been lost to COVID
  • If you have lost a mother, remember they are always with you – in your heart and in your memories
  • Remember Mother’s Day also includes all those “unofficial moms” and “mother figures” who are like second (or replacement) moms
  • And, last but not least, If you’re a mom, try to enjoy the day by doing something for yourself, as today may be the one day you can get away with it

red head red head assets.rebelmouse.io

This year I write about Mother’s Day with a heavy heart and still much raw emotion, as our mom passed in December. My pragmatic side (yes, that’s usually Black’s area although she did sound somewhat warm and fuzzy above) knows that she had been 94 and led a full life, but that really doesn’t make it any less sad or fill the emptiness. But I find myself, when I least expect it and triggered by the most unexpected things, finding comfort in wonderful memories. And although Black’s first bullet point hits too close to home for me, I’ll try my best to focus on the other bullets.

Wishing all moms a very Happy Mother’s Day!