Words & Banter

The Seven C's

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

I was thinking.

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

You do know those words scare me, don't you? It usually means more work to do.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

You should let me finish my thought before you run scared. Anyway, I was thinking about the letter "C" …

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

OK, now you have me more confused than scared. You're thinking about the alphabet?!

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

I was thinking about how the quality of a diamond is determined by the four C's – Cut, Color, Clarity, and Carat. And, that it takes all four components working together to determine a diamond's beauty and brilliance.

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

If I remember C-orrectly, pun intended, the repetition of consonant sounds in succession's called an alliteration.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

I knew it was called something, just had no idea what. Anyway, the four C's got me thinking about COVID-19 and the three C's.

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

I'm not even going to try and connect those dots.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Studies that track how people get the virus, and what causes super-spreader events, keep pointing to three C's – crowds, close contact, and closed environments. So, similar to the four C's indicating what to look for in diamonds …. The three C's are telling us what to avoid when it comes to COVID-19.

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

Would it be too corny to say, "I now "C" your point?"
Photo by OnTheRunPhoto for iStock

Are you taking the Dry January challenge and not having any alcohol for the month? Or, maybe you plan to drink less (but not nothing), which makes it Damp January. Or, maybe this is the first you’ve heard of it. (If so, there’s still time to start!)

Well, nothing much has changed from our approach to Dry January last year, except the one who had started drinking more last year is continuing the trend …

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

I keep getting emails about where to go for mocktails. I know alcohol-free cocktails, like Virgin Margaritas, have been around for a while, but I’d never heard that term before. Do you think it has to do with New Year’s resolutions?

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

It can if any of your resolutions are to lose weight, save money, sleep better. Or, drink less. Psychologically, January is the month when we “reset”, so a UK-based organization, Alcohol Change UK , started Dry January , where you abstain from drinking alcohol.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Perfect timing since many people shop, eat, and drink more than usual over the holidays.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

I know you used to drink a glass of Cold Duck on New Year’s Eve, a tradition going back to our childhood, but that hardly counts as drinking. But, I have always wondered why you rarely drink, but never asked.

It’s January, and everyone’s probably tired of reading about New Year’s resolutions.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Not me. Since I never make them, I never feel the need to read about them.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Of course, you don’t. So, what should we write about?

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

How about that we celebrate some of our favorite things in January?

So many “National Days” in January are fun (we’ve written about them over the years) and remind us of some of our favorite things. (Can you pick which are Red’s favorite holidays and which are Black’s?) And whether or not you make resolutions, it’s always important to have a sense of humor and enjoy the simpler things in life …

Answer: Red’s favorites are Bagels, Popcorn, and Hugging. Black’s are Clean Desk, Bagels, and Backward.

Wishing you Happy 2024 – with new beginnings and much more!