Words & Banter

The Seven C's

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

I was thinking.

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

You do know those words scare me, don't you? It usually means more work to do.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

You should let me finish my thought before you run scared. Anyway, I was thinking about the letter "C" …

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

OK, now you have me more confused than scared. You're thinking about the alphabet?!

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

I was thinking about how the quality of a diamond is determined by the four C's – Cut, Color, Clarity, and Carat. And, that it takes all four components working together to determine a diamond's beauty and brilliance.

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

If I remember C-orrectly, pun intended, the repetition of consonant sounds in succession's called an alliteration.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

I knew it was called something, just had no idea what. Anyway, the four C's got me thinking about COVID-19 and the three C's.

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

I'm not even going to try and connect those dots.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Studies that track how people get the virus, and what causes super-spreader events, keep pointing to three C's – crowds, close contact, and closed environments. So, similar to the four C's indicating what to look for in diamonds …. The three C's are telling us what to avoid when it comes to COVID-19.

Red's HeadRed assets.rebelmouse.io

Would it be too corny to say, "I now "C" your point?"
Photo by nycshooter on iStock
What do you get when you cross Flag Day (June 14) with June being Effective Communication Month? Well, if you include Black in the mix, you get one of Red’s favorite memories … and a unique way to think about the importance of communicating – whether in your personal or professional life. And especially if you’re in a racecar!

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

This past weekend, I noticed a bunch of flags on my street and wondered why since July 4 th is still almost a month away. But this morning, I learned that today's Flag Day.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

Well, for someone who likes to decorate for the holidays, I would have thought you would have known all about it.

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

I've heard of it, but I never really thought much about it, let alone when it is. I knew it had to do with the American flag, but it surprised me that it has nothing to do with Betsy Ross, which legend has made the first flag, although it seems there's no evidence to support that.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

If you want an interesting "story", read about why the American flag is called Old Glory . Regardless, the American flag, like all flags, communicates a message.

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

I know you like to connect odd dots, but only you would see a connection between flags and communications.
Keep Reading ...Show less
Photo by John Gomez on iStock

There’s much debate about the role America should play in world politics and standing by our allies, and we can’t help but wonder … how many people look at history before forming their opinions? Which is why we feel so strongly about remembering D-Day (and are rerunning the post below), which is about so much more than just a day …

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

I still can’t believe you didn’t know what D-Day was.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

All I knew was it had to do with World War II and beaches. And, required lots of strategic planning. Remember, I am not a history buff like you.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

Or a movie buff. There has been an assortment of D-Day movies, and I wouldn’t expect you to have watched the older movies, like “ The Longest Day” with John Wayne, but I figured you’d have seen “ Saving Private Ryan .”

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

The Tom Hanks movie? It was a great war movie, but from what I remember, it was about the search for a particular soldier during WWII. Although I remember the opening scene showed the horrors of war. Regardless, I do not get my “history” from movies that might take literary license for the sake of storytelling, even if Steven Spielberg’s movies are mostly accurate.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

That opening scene WAS D-Day.
Keep Reading ...Show less
Photo by Iam Anupong on iStock

Some memories fade with time, but others remain as vivid as the day they happened. Like the day my big sister and I played golf together (an extremely rare event), although the memory isn’t about golf, but about how a sister’s flippant comment can stay with you for over 40 years …

There was no way to know it would become a highly effective way of remembering the importance of sunscreen. Especially as it happened before May was declared Skin Cancer Awareness Month, and May 27 became National Sunscreen Day.

I'll never forget the day. It was an "almost" ordinary day out on the golf course with my mom and dad during the heat of a Long Island summer. Now, if "Long Island" conjures up images of stately manors on the North Shore (think "Great Gatsby") or beachfront mansions in the Hamptons (think Robin Leach and his popular show "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous"), you can put those out of your head. I'm not talking about some fancy country club golf course, just a regular public course.

Keep Reading ...Show less