It's frustrating, yet it's understandable. Rolling out the vaccine was always going to be a serious challenge.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Our mom is 93-years-old but don't let that number fool you, she's probably more "with it" than most people you'll ever meet. She also likes to ask lots of questions (Black obviously inherited that trait from her) and definitely takes her time making decisions, which often frustrates people around her. Especially when it's about unimportant decisions. But it was totally understandable in terms of whether to get the COIVD-19 vaccine.

Unfortunately, by the time she decided that she was willing to be vaccinated, all the local registration systems were already closed until further doses became available. So, Red (who lives near our mom) went out on her electronic neighborhood bulletin board and asked if anyone had suggestions on how to get our mom vaccinated. The replies soon came flooding in, which was not only amazing and extremely helpful, but also showed the genuine goodness of people and the desire to help other each, including a total stranger.

As a result, Red soon realized that finding the vaccine providers and locations, as well as reviewing the procedures for signing up, yet alone actually getting an appointment (or even getting on a waiting list) was a major project. How could anyone, yet alone a 93-year-old woman who didn't have a computer or a smart phone, navigate this maze?

Red shared all this information with Black, mostly to keep her updated, but also in case she might have some additional suggestions or thoughts. Black knew of various people who had already been vaccinated, but their health providers had reached out to them given existing medical conditions that put them at high risk, and each had jumped at the chance to get vaccinated. Yet, at the same time, Black knew of people who somehow just seemed to have gotten "very lucky" and been vaccinated very early and easily.

At the time of this post, our mom has had her first vaccine shot, and although relieved, Red thinks it's a scavenger hunt for most people.Even for those who have priority. Black thinks it's more like a treasure hunt, a "serious" treasure hunt …

This is no game.Unlike the search for toilet paper, for some people, this could be life or death.

It's hard not to have an opinion about this year's Olympics, but can we all agree that the athletes represent strength, perseverance, and hope?

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: The Olympics is the world's largest sporting event, and although it seems that history occurs both on and off the "field", it's safe to say that the Olympics means very different things to different people (especially us).

Keep Reading ... Show less

The "space race" used to be about countries competing … now, it's billionaires.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: We grew up in the 1960s when space exploration was in its infancy and space travel was left to the imagination of television show and movie writers; but since one of us was a theater major and the other studied business, it's not surprising we had very different reactions to the recent flights.

Keep Reading ... Show less

Coffee MAY reduce the risk of getting COVID-19, but masks, social distancing, and taking the vaccine WILL!

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Both of us are habitual coffee drinkers, so were curious about the potential benefits of our favorite beverage to lower the risk of contracting COVID-19, although our initial reactions to the study were (of course) very different.

Keep Reading ... Show less