It's frustrating, yet it's understandable. Rolling out the vaccine was always going to be a serious challenge.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Our mom is 93-years-old but don't let that number fool you, she's probably more "with it" than most people you'll ever meet. She also likes to ask lots of questions (Black obviously inherited that trait from her) and definitely takes her time making decisions, which often frustrates people around her. Especially when it's about unimportant decisions. But it was totally understandable in terms of whether to get the COIVD-19 vaccine.

Unfortunately, by the time she decided that she was willing to be vaccinated, all the local registration systems were already closed until further doses became available. So, Red (who lives near our mom) went out on her electronic neighborhood bulletin board and asked if anyone had suggestions on how to get our mom vaccinated. The replies soon came flooding in, which was not only amazing and extremely helpful, but also showed the genuine goodness of people and the desire to help other each, including a total stranger.

As a result, Red soon realized that finding the vaccine providers and locations, as well as reviewing the procedures for signing up, yet alone actually getting an appointment (or even getting on a waiting list) was a major project. How could anyone, yet alone a 93-year-old woman who didn't have a computer or a smart phone, navigate this maze?

Red shared all this information with Black, mostly to keep her updated, but also in case she might have some additional suggestions or thoughts. Black knew of various people who had already been vaccinated, but their health providers had reached out to them given existing medical conditions that put them at high risk, and each had jumped at the chance to get vaccinated. Yet, at the same time, Black knew of people who somehow just seemed to have gotten "very lucky" and been vaccinated very early and easily.

At the time of this post, our mom has had her first vaccine shot, and although relieved, Red thinks it's a scavenger hunt for most people.Even for those who have priority. Black thinks it's more like a treasure hunt, a "serious" treasure hunt …

This is no game.Unlike the search for toilet paper, for some people, this could be life or death.

In a promise to “never forget” we’re rerunning our 2021 post so that we always remember …

September 11 is a date on the calendar, but "9/11" is a date in history.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Much like JFK's assassination was to an older generation (although Black's old enough to be included), we both remember exactly what we were doing when we first heard the news of the attacks on the Twin Towers, Pentagon, and Flight 93; but, interestingly, how we reflect on 9/11 is a bit of a role reversal.

Keep Reading ...Show less