An inauguration day filled with pageantry and patriotism, celebration and ceremony. But, above all, filled with hope.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: If someone asked you what you thought was the most memorable moment of the inauguration, what would you choose?

For Red, she felt overwhelmed – by emotions and by choices. She can't decide between the inauguration of our first female Vice President, the poetry of 22-year-old Amanda Gorman, the youngest inaugural poet, or the many powerful words spoken by President Biden in his address. But ultimately what she felt was a feeling of hope and possibility, of unity and working together. And for a mom, there's perhaps no better feeling to have, as the future of our country is intertwined with their future.

And Black? An extremely pragmatic, non-emotional person who rarely lets feelings impact her reactions and thoughts. Well, she first honed in on the part of the President's speech where he said, simply and humbly, "Let us start afresh" and then when he asked his political opponents to at least "Hear me out." Each may seem like just a few words, in the midst of a speech filled with many heartfelt, and seemingly more memorable, words. But to her, these were some of the most powerful words spoken, as the only way we can hope to find common ground and achieve unity is to listen to one another. To truly listen with open hearts and open minds.

As voters, should we care whether people on the ballot are mentally capable of holding the job?

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: It's probably safe to say that most of us, including Red, think of old age and its implications in a very personal way, either in terms of ourselves or loved ones. But not Black, who often says, "Aging beats the alternative," and looked at retirement from a business perspective, but now sees how it impacts all of us in terms of elected officials.

Keep Reading ... Show less

How do you look back at the "good 'ole days" if they happened before you were even born?

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: We read the same Axios story about "TikTok's nostalgia economy," and although the focus was "media trends" due to younger people using social media to both make fun of older people and also to flashback nostalgically, of course, we focused on very different aspects of the story.

Keep Reading ... Show less

Want good customer service? Good behavior is a good start.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: We grew up hearing the expression "the customer is always right," and Red certainly agreed with it; and while Black understood the customer service aspect of it, she did question its impact on employees (why would you "automatically" side with a customer over an employee without knowing the details). And that was before the pandemic changed everything, but especially customer behavior.

Until recently, Red didn't think much about why the customer was "always right," but it reminded her of years ago when Black shared her amusing (or, at least, to Red) version of the Golden Rule, "He who has the gold, rules. "So, wouldn't that also apply to customers? Wouldn't a happy customer be a loyal customer?

Keep Reading ... Show less