An inauguration day filled with pageantry and patriotism, celebration and ceremony. But, above all, filled with hope.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: If someone asked you what you thought was the most memorable moment of the inauguration, what would you choose?

For Red, she felt overwhelmed – by emotions and by choices. She can't decide between the inauguration of our first female Vice President, the poetry of 22-year-old Amanda Gorman, the youngest inaugural poet, or the many powerful words spoken by President Biden in his address. But ultimately what she felt was a feeling of hope and possibility, of unity and working together. And for a mom, there's perhaps no better feeling to have, as the future of our country is intertwined with their future.

And Black? An extremely pragmatic, non-emotional person who rarely lets feelings impact her reactions and thoughts. Well, she first honed in on the part of the President's speech where he said, simply and humbly, "Let us start afresh" and then when he asked his political opponents to at least "Hear me out." Each may seem like just a few words, in the midst of a speech filled with many heartfelt, and seemingly more memorable, words. But to her, these were some of the most powerful words spoken, as the only way we can hope to find common ground and achieve unity is to listen to one another. To truly listen with open hearts and open minds.

It's hard not to have an opinion about this year's Olympics, but can we all agree that the athletes represent strength, perseverance, and hope?

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: The Olympics is the world's largest sporting event, and although it seems that history occurs both on and off the "field", it's safe to say that the Olympics means very different things to different people (especially us).

Keep Reading ... Show less

The "space race" used to be about countries competing … now, it's billionaires.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: We grew up in the 1960s when space exploration was in its infancy and space travel was left to the imagination of television show and movie writers; but since one of us was a theater major and the other studied business, it's not surprising we had very different reactions to the recent flights.

Keep Reading ... Show less

Coffee MAY reduce the risk of getting COVID-19, but masks, social distancing, and taking the vaccine WILL!

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Both of us are habitual coffee drinkers, so were curious about the potential benefits of our favorite beverage to lower the risk of contracting COVID-19, although our initial reactions to the study were (of course) very different.

Keep Reading ... Show less