Promotional image for "Goldfinger," Eon Productions, 1964. Image in the public domain.

Black loves to play the "Can you connect the dots" game, especially when it comes to Red & Black and our many unexpected detours. Well, I got to create my own version of the game a few weeks ago when Black sent me the link to a wonderful remembrance of Sean Connery by Donald Liebenson for Vanity Fair. Which brought back memories … of Red & Black?!

Donald, besides being a wonderful writer who has covered many famous people, has also written about people who are far from being famous. Or maybe he thinks of them as "yet to be discovered." (Hollywood, we're still waiting!) But the article he wrote about us for Millionaire Corner was almost 10 years ago, yet is still one of our favorites.

At the time, we were between our first and second years of teaching at KIPP Houston High School and we were thrilled (and shocked) when he contacted us asking for an interview. There was no way of knowing that his article, "Sisters 'Red' and 'Black' Put an Unconventional Spin on Financial Literacy," would not only be entertaining, but incredibly useful, as over the years we've included it as a handout at countless educational presentations and in press kits. Plus, we've used his phrase, "a funny thing happened on the way to Hollywood," as the title and theme of many speaking engagements and even on PowerPoint slides. (Thank you, Donald. I hope we don't owe you royalties.)

Donald's masterly use of our quotes captured our personalities and somehow made our journey sound like we almost knew what we were doing. And that we had a plan all along. Well, we're still on that journey and maybe one day he'll write a follow-up article ... when we finally do get to Hollywood.

Underlying photo by Alleko on iStock

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

I know that Yom Kippur isn't exactly known as one of the "fun" Jewish holidays, but every year I can't help but laugh at what's easily my number one Yom Kippur memory.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

That is what makes memories … memorable. And, finding something to laugh at on Yom Kippur, the Day of Atonement, which is probably the most important and solemn Jewish holiday, would be memorable.

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

I can't believe you're not even curious what it is!?

I'm still smiling at you letting Sawyer drive your Mercedes G-wagen. Although I know that her dream car's a Ford F-150, I think yours is her "fantasy car".

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

I knew the "long way" to drive back to your house, but after asking her if she knew the best way, it seemed easier to have her drive.

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

Well, you might have thought of it as efficient, but she thought it was exciting. And she told me that she was honored you trusted her to drive.

Black's Head Black assets.rebelmouse.io

Did she mention that once we got back to your neighborhood, we saw a huge turtle on the road? Moving very slowly, of course, so I was not concerned it would become an unexpected road obstacle.
Keep Reading ... Show less
Photo by Iam Anupong on iStock

I'll never forget the day. It was an "almost" ordinary day out on the golf course with my mom and dad during the heat of a Long Island summer. Now, if "Long Island" conjures up images of stately manors on the North Shore (think "Great Gatsby") or beachfront mansions in the Hamptons (think Robin Leach and his popular show "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous"), you can put those out of your head. I'm not talking about some fancy country club golf course, just a regular public course.

I loved the game ever since I learned to play as a teenager, and although I never got to play while at college (Wake Forest, which was renowned for its golf program, with its most famous alumni being Arnold Palmer), I'd try to get out as often as possible when I was home. I wasn't a phenomenal player but had a decent game and natural talent. And most of the time, I hit it pretty straight, so one of the things I enjoyed was walking down the middle of the fairway, pulling my clubs along (no fancy golf carts on this course), appreciating the day and the sport.

On one (very rare) occasion, my sister came back to New York to visit, as she moved out of state as soon as she graduated from business school. She also played golf, but unlike me, who relied on natural ability and played for fun, she worked extremely hard at her game, was overly competitive, and played "business golf". The result was that she was a far better player than me, although I was holding my own on that day.

Keep Reading ... Show less