Promotional image for "Goldfinger," Eon Productions, 1964. Image in the public domain.

Black loves to play the "Can you connect the dots" game, especially when it comes to Red & Black and our many unexpected detours. Well, I got to create my own version of the game a few weeks ago when Black sent me the link to a wonderful remembrance of Sean Connery by Donald Liebenson for Vanity Fair. Which brought back memories … of Red & Black?!

Donald, besides being a wonderful writer who has covered many famous people, has also written about people who are far from being famous. Or maybe he thinks of them as "yet to be discovered." (Hollywood, we're still waiting!) But the article he wrote about us for Millionaire Corner was almost 10 years ago, yet is still one of our favorites.

At the time, we were between our first and second years of teaching at KIPP Houston High School and we were thrilled (and shocked) when he contacted us asking for an interview. There was no way of knowing that his article, "Sisters 'Red' and 'Black' Put an Unconventional Spin on Financial Literacy," would not only be entertaining, but incredibly useful, as over the years we've included it as a handout at countless educational presentations and in press kits. Plus, we've used his phrase, "a funny thing happened on the way to Hollywood," as the title and theme of many speaking engagements and even on PowerPoint slides. (Thank you, Donald. I hope we don't owe you royalties.)

Donald's masterly use of our quotes captured our personalities and somehow made our journey sound like we almost knew what we were doing. And that we had a plan all along. Well, we're still on that journey and maybe one day he'll write a follow-up article ... when we finally do get to Hollywood.

Photo by klohka on iStock

As soon as Black wrote it, it became one of Red’s favorite posts, and now it’s a Red & Black Thanksgiving tradition. After all, what could be a better Turkey Day tradition than memories of a perfect turkey?

And it’s the perfect way to wish you a very Happy Thanksgiving that, as Black says below, is … filled with memories that will last a lifetime.

Today is Thanksgiving, and I cannot help but wonder why we are online. However, everyone has their own way of celebrating. I know that Red is in the kitchen cooking – and watching a marathon of "The Godfather" movies. Which is perfect as turkeys take such a long time to cook and patience is important when you want it perfectly browned. So inviting, so appetizing, so … naked?

Keep Reading ...Show less
True
Photo courtesy of Black

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

I’m curious, since you were recently at the Make-A-Wish conference at Disney World in Orlando, did you take your Minnie Mouse ears or oversized Mickey Mouse hands with you?

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

No, but I told a few people how I wore them on “Dress as your favorite character day” when we were teaching at KIPP Houston High School.

red headred head assets.rebelmouse.io

That was one of the funniest Red & Black classes. Ever.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

The funny thing is that other than wearing the ears and oversized hands, everything else was impromptu.
Keep Reading ...Show less
Photo by Aneese on iStock

Before Red’s daughter, Natasha, discovered a love of bats (and later, Natasha and Black getting matching bat tattoos), if you asked Red what comes to mind when you say, “Bats,” she would’ve replied, “Batman” – the cartoon strip, the 1950’s TV series or any of the many Hollywood movies. (Don’t get Black started on the business aspects of the franchise.) Black, on the other hand, would mention how many people associate them with Dracula and vampire bats, which may explain why many people are spooked by these nocturnal mammals, thinking they are sinister creatures of the night. But Black knows bats are good … for the environment and the economy. So, it’s the perfect time to give some respect to these misunderstood creatures (not to mention, being able to sleep upside down is impressive) because not only are they a symbol of Halloween but October’s Bat Appreciation Month.

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

Thanks for sending me Natasha's Austin-inspired business plan. But while I know that's her future, I can't help but think about the first time I took her to Austin.

Black's HeadBlack assets.rebelmouse.io

All I remember is that it was love at first sight.

Red's Head assets.rebelmouse.io

It was on our way home from taking Sawyer to camp, and I told her we were making a slight "detour". She was so excited when I pulled up to the hotel as she's always loved hotels. But that night, as we walked onto Congress Avenue Bridge and saw the thousands and thousands of bats fly out into the sunset, she was mesmerized and "in love".
Keep Reading ...Show less