So, how many points for the word "scrabble"?

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: One of the world's most famous, popular, and beloved board games is Scrabble, but for anyone that knows Red & Black, they might be surprised by a few things …

Or, maybe it's just one thing. You see, Red, the straight-A student who loves to read and has been known on more than one occasion to use, as the expression goes, a 50-cent word when a 5-cent word will do, has never, repeat never, played Scrabble. It's not that she's not familiar with the game, as she has both an adult and a children's version in her game closet. But she has never played Scrabble.

Black was shocked by this admission and wondered how this could be true. Could Red have witnessed Black's competitive playing (she's had boyfriends refuse to play Scrabble with her after experiencing how competitive she gets) and decided to avoid the conflict? So, Black took a more "educational" route,

You are almost 60 years old – how can you not have ever played Scrabble? Well, I think it is time. On the surface, Scrabble may seem like a game of luck, but it is actually about skills. Obviously, it requires vocabulary and spelling skills, but it also requires math and strategic thinking. Along the way, you develop an understanding of spatial relations and probability. As a mom, I bet you have been fine-tuning many of these skills for years.

Well, Red may not be as competitive as Black, but she was certainly intrigued, so began by finding the official Scrabble website (and was surprised that Black hadn't mentioned Hasbro now owned it) and initially was overwhelmed as it offered more than she'd ever need – or want – to know. But once she found the rules, Red calmed down as the premise is simple – score points by placing tiles, each with a single letter and point value, to form words using a crossword puzzle layout.

But now, Red regretted that she hadn't pulled out those versions collecting dust in the closet when her daughters were growing up, as she learned that Scrabble could be played in teams (although she's not sure she'd want to play against Black). It would have been such a great opportunity for them to teach and learn from each other. And have fun! So, she decided,

Over the years, there have been many games of Monopoly played, argued over, and champions declared. Scrabble would have been a great addition, but I can't change the past. However, I think a good way to celebrate National Scrabble Day is to teach an old dog new tricks … and that would be me. I'm finally going to learn to play Scrabble!

P.S. – How many points for the word "scrabble"? It was a trick question! It depends on where on the board it is, how it's connected, and whether you used any blanks.

As voters, should we care whether people on the ballot are mentally capable of holding the job?

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: It's probably safe to say that most of us, including Red, think of old age and its implications in a very personal way, either in terms of ourselves or loved ones. But not Black, who often says, "Aging beats the alternative," and looked at retirement from a business perspective, but now sees how it impacts all of us in terms of elected officials.

Keep Reading ... Show less

How do you look back at the "good 'ole days" if they happened before you were even born?

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: We read the same Axios story about "TikTok's nostalgia economy," and although the focus was "media trends" due to younger people using social media to both make fun of older people and also to flashback nostalgically, of course, we focused on very different aspects of the story.

Keep Reading ... Show less

Want good customer service? Good behavior is a good start.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: We grew up hearing the expression "the customer is always right," and Red certainly agreed with it; and while Black understood the customer service aspect of it, she did question its impact on employees (why would you "automatically" side with a customer over an employee without knowing the details). And that was before the pandemic changed everything, but especially customer behavior.

Until recently, Red didn't think much about why the customer was "always right," but it reminded her of years ago when Black shared her amusing (or, at least, to Red) version of the Golden Rule, "He who has the gold, rules. "So, wouldn't that also apply to customers? Wouldn't a happy customer be a loyal customer?

Keep Reading ... Show less