Golf may not be fore (sorry, couldn't resist the pun for those who know golf terms) you, but this year's Ryder Cup was the biggest blowout since the competition changed its format over 40 years ago.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: The 43rd Ryder Cup (which is played every other year between teams from the U.S. and Europe) finished yesterday, so Red couldn't help but travel down memory lane (or should we call it "fairway") and remember watching the 1981 Ryder Cup with our dad. Not only did the Americans win with the largest margin against a European team (originally, the competition was a British team), but it featured some of the greatest golfers (from Jack Nicklaus to Tom Watson to Nick Faldo) of all time. That all changed yesterday when the Americans broke the 40-year record, and with a team where half the players were Ryder Cup rookies. (For a great recap, including a link to the most amazing chip shot, see Axios' "Team USA romps to Ryder Cup win.")

Black, who doesn't typically reminisce (and would prefer to talk about how golf has been having a record year and the associated business implications), remembers Jack Nicklaus' Concession in 1969. It was one of the greatest (and, at the time, controversial) acts of sportsmanship ever seen when Nicklaus conceded Tony Jacklin's putt causing a tie and allowing America to keep the Cup vs. going for an outright win. That single moment represented the spirit of the Ryder Cup, and this year marks the inaugural Nicklaus-Jacklin Award.

In a promise to “never forget” we’re rerunning our 2021 post so that we always remember …

September 11 is a date on the calendar, but "9/11" is a date in history.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Much like JFK's assassination was to an older generation (although Black's old enough to be included), we both remember exactly what we were doing when we first heard the news of the attacks on the Twin Towers, Pentagon, and Flight 93; but, interestingly, how we reflect on 9/11 is a bit of a role reversal.

Keep Reading ...Show less