Anyone can be a car guy, even a woman.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Red had no idea why President Biden was driving at all, let alone a weird looking truck, but she knew who would … her sister, who has loved cars since childhood.

The first thing that grabbed Red's attention was that strange paint job that looked like bad wallpaper from the 1960s. But, at least, she felt like she was in good company when Black said,

I heard some of the White House press corps had questioned the camouflaged test vehicle, not realizing that it is standard to keep parts of a new car's design "secret" before they make their public debut. But in the journalists' defense, they are used to covering politics and the president, not cars and trucks.

And before Red could even say anything about whether presidents are forbidden from driving or it's just presidential protocol, Black sent her an article explaining why presidents (and former presidents) aren't allowed to drive, but told her to watch the associated video of Jay Leno with former President George W. Bush through to the end … as it proves President Biden is a car guy. Of course, Black was more than happy to send more car videos, including the "sneak peek" of Jay Leno and then Vice-President Biden at a Secret Service Training Facility and one where Biden and Julia Louis Dreyfus are both VPs (one real and one a sitcom character), that shows his great sense of humor (and a wonderful cameo appearance by Michelle Obama)!

The various images of then Vice President Biden with his Corvette brought back memories for both of us. Black always dreamed of owning a Corvette one day (she still never has, although she has owned Porsches and Ferraris – both street versions and race cars), and Red remembers her constantly talking about them. So, it made sense that once a car guy – always a car guy.

But what about President Biden driving this specific vehicle? Well, he was speaking at the Ford plant in Detroit that's producing the all-electric F-150 Lightning on May 19 (the day before the truck was officially introduced), and according to Ford CEO, Jim Farley, in the Detroit Free Press article about the factory tour and surprise joyride,

At the end of his speech, he kinda turned to everyone, he goes, 'You know I'm a car guy. And I want to drive this truck.' Everyone politely laughed. Because presidents don't drive vehicles.

But then he did. The rest, as they say, is history. But the clip of him on the test drive shows not only what the truck can do, but what a true car guy President Biden is, as his first words after driving it were,

This sucker's quick.

In a promise to “never forget” we’re rerunning our 2021 post so that we always remember …

September 11 is a date on the calendar, but "9/11" is a date in history.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Much like JFK's assassination was to an older generation (although Black's old enough to be included), we both remember exactly what we were doing when we first heard the news of the attacks on the Twin Towers, Pentagon, and Flight 93; but, interestingly, how we reflect on 9/11 is a bit of a role reversal.

Keep Reading ...Show less