Anyone can be a car guy, even a woman.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Red had no idea why President Biden was driving at all, let alone a weird looking truck, but she knew who would … her sister, who has loved cars since childhood.

The first thing that grabbed Red's attention was that strange paint job that looked like bad wallpaper from the 1960s. But, at least, she felt like she was in good company when Black said,

I heard some of the White House press corps had questioned the camouflaged test vehicle, not realizing that it is standard to keep parts of a new car's design "secret" before they make their public debut. But in the journalists' defense, they are used to covering politics and the president, not cars and trucks.

And before Red could even say anything about whether presidents are forbidden from driving or it's just presidential protocol, Black sent her an article explaining why presidents (and former presidents) aren't allowed to drive, but told her to watch the associated video of Jay Leno with former President George W. Bush through to the end … as it proves President Biden is a car guy. Of course, Black was more than happy to send more car videos, including the "sneak peek" of Jay Leno and then Vice-President Biden at a Secret Service Training Facility and one where Biden and Julia Louis Dreyfus are both VPs (one real and one a sitcom character), that shows his great sense of humor (and a wonderful cameo appearance by Michelle Obama)!

The various images of then Vice President Biden with his Corvette brought back memories for both of us. Black always dreamed of owning a Corvette one day (she still never has, although she has owned Porsches and Ferraris – both street versions and race cars), and Red remembers her constantly talking about them. So, it made sense that once a car guy – always a car guy.

But what about President Biden driving this specific vehicle? Well, he was speaking at the Ford plant in Detroit that's producing the all-electric F-150 Lightning on May 19 (the day before the truck was officially introduced), and according to Ford CEO, Jim Farley, in the Detroit Free Press article about the factory tour and surprise joyride,

At the end of his speech, he kinda turned to everyone, he goes, 'You know I'm a car guy. And I want to drive this truck.' Everyone politely laughed. Because presidents don't drive vehicles.

But then he did. The rest, as they say, is history. But the clip of him on the test drive shows not only what the truck can do, but what a true car guy President Biden is, as his first words after driving it were,

This sucker's quick.

Happy Meals. Lasik surgery. A Supreme Court justice. Any idea what these three things have in common?

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Although Hispanic Heritage Month started in 1968 as a week-long event, Red, the straight-A student and lover of history, is a bit embarrassed that she didn't know about it, but the theater major in her realizes they're under-represented (and misrepresented) in the movies. When we talked about the comparison of "In The Heights" to "West Side Story," Black wasn't only focused on the business aspects but also how it reflects the times, and now is interested in the many contributions (including patents) made by Latinx, and the need for inclusion and diversity.

P.S. – We were both curious why the month-long celebration begins mid-month (September 15) and discovered it's in honor of the anniversaries of national independence for many Latin American countries.

Can something be "new" if it's made with "old" ingredients?

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Black's fascinated by the business and marketing aspects of food mash-ups (especially the multi-generational angle), while Red's excited that her beloved Dunkin' has collaborated with Post Cereals and there's now Dunkin' cereal (and both of us love the tag line, "Now you can have your coffee and eat it, too!). Funny thing is that we've all probably been doing our own "mash-ups" for years (ok, maybe not Black).

As the song says, "They say the neon lights are bright on Broadway, they say there's always magic in the air on Broadway" … and now it's all coming back!

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Although we live in Texas, we're originally from New York, and as different as we are, one thing we have in common is a love of Broadway, so we're excited about the re-opening of Broadway, even if for very different reasons.

Keep Reading ... Show less