The Second Impeachment Trial. Will it be about democracy and truth, or a made-for-TV reality show?

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: If ever our respective Banter Bite bubbles reflected who we are, it's this one ...

First, there's Red, the warm and fuzzy mom who, although she earned a theater degree from a prestigious school, never put it to use (unless you count being theatrical and critiquing movies). Her favorite part of going to the movies (it was how she escaped life before the pandemic) was to get the largest bucket of popcorn, which she'd refuse to share with anyone, including her own children. Yes, you read that right! She'd be happy to buy them their own, but not share, as Red admits having an obsession with movie theater popcorn. At the same time, she's become a bit of a news junkie since the 2016 presidential election, not because she's enthralled with politics, but due to the theatrics of it.

And then, there's Black. Loaded with an M.B.A. in International Finance (jointly issued by two prestigious schools), she climbed the corporate ladder in the oil and gas industry, becoming a corporate vice president when few women were even in the industry. (Oh, the stories she has!) She's always been "all business" but if it hadn't been for our mom insisting she'd make a great lawyer (Black's always loved to debate, and Red has been known to compare Black's brain to a computer processor), she'd probably be a very successful trial attorney. Instead, she dug in her heels (her shoes are also the basis of many stories) and decided that was the last thing she'd become.

Of course, combine our personal interests and backgrounds with the impeachment trial and we're sure there'll be some "interesting" conversations we'll try to capture in Banter Bites. Meanwhile, Black's preparing herself to have Red, the frustrated theater major, utter the phrase "This should be a podcast" countless times.

It’s hard to believe the topic of the Supreme Court and abortion could become any more controversial or dramatic. But there was no way to know a draft opinion overturning Roe v. Wade would be leaked to the press. A situation so shocking, it’s being compared to the "Pentagon Papers" leak.

Yes, leaks happen all the time in politics – at the campaign level, sometimes from Congress, and even on occasion from the executive branch. But from the Supreme Court of the United States??? Yet as Black said to Red just after it happened,

Nowadays, it is just too easy to have a “leak” as almost everything is just a “click away” from being shared or printed. No clandestine nights at the copy machine are required.

There’s an expression … throwing out the baby with the bathwater. Well, Supreme Court decisions on “babies” (well, technically fetuses) may also impact its integrity.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: There’s no question the recent Supreme Court cases involving abortion are controversial and may have a major impact on Roe v. Wade; something that both Red (as a mom to two daughters) and Black (as a highly independent woman who made the conscious decision not to have children) have strong feelings about, albeit focused on two very different aspects.

Keep Reading ... Show less

If you’ve never thought about May Day, don’t worry, most of us haven’t.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Red appreciates that some holidays have historical significance, some have ancient traditions, and some are opportunities for one of Black’s unexpected, but often amusing and clever, comments, but May Day checks all those boxes.

Keep Reading ... Show less

To quote the lyrics from "West Side Story," “Could be … who knows …”

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Red, the theater major and lover of Broadway musicals, has loved "West Side Story" for as long as she can remember, so imagine her surprise when Black, usually only interested in the business aspects of the entertainment world, shared a “new” fact (at least, new to Red) about one of the most popular musicals ever produced.

Keep Reading ... Show less