Although 57 of 100 senators voted "guilty," many of the others took the position you can't try a president after he left office – so we'll never know how many believe he's actually guilty.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: As expected, Red and Black looked at the impeachment trial outcome very differently.

Black was fascinated by the legal maneuvering of the impeachment trial, and admits she's a frustrated attorney at heart. However, she realizes that her opinion of what happened and why is just that – an opinion. But the facts remain that Trump's the only president to be impeached twice, and this was the most bipartisan vote in any presidential impeachment trial (seven Republicans voted he was guilty). He's the only president to seriously threaten the peaceful transfer of power. And he's the first impeached president to have left office before being tried. And, there may be more firsts based on the looming amount of legal trouble on the horizon.

Red, on the other hand, doesn't care about all the firsts. Well, she does, but it's not first and foremost (pun intended) in her mind. But as someone who loves history, she can't help but wonder how this chapter in American history will be written. Will it be the trial where some senators, whose lives were at great risk when the Capitol was overrun by rioters, were able to "ignore" Trump's behavior because he was no longer president? Will it be the changes we saw in what people deemed "acceptable behavior" during the last four years? Will it be the power of social media to spread both information and misinformation? Will it be the physical and emotional attack on the Capitol and democracy? Will it be how it has caused a divide within the Republican Party? Or, all of the above?

But we both agree,

Only time will tell how Trump and his presidency will go down in history, and whether he'll actually face consequences of his actions. Meanwhile, we all have been affected by this – in many different ways. But, hopefully, we can now move on …

This name comes with a warning ...

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Yes, climate’s a “hot” topic, but summer has only started (marked by the summer solstice), and Red’s already whining about the heat, while Black considersthe logic of naming heat waves. (Really! But it’s not her idea.)

Keep Reading ...Show less

Ok, let’s be clear (pun intended) … Communication is critical. Whether in your personal life or in business, not to mention communication skills are transferable between the two (Black even suggested Red hold family “business” meetings). And what better time to work on how we communicate, and maybe even have a new attitude toward vocabulary and “50-cent words” (Red loves those, but terminology scares her!?), than during Effective Communications Month.

Talking isn't the same as communicating. And hearing isn't the same as listening. Think about it.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: Being an effective communicator, whether in our personal lives or at work, is a critical skill but one-size-doesn't-fit-all as we each use very different methods and styles … ranging from lots of words and talking stuffed animals (Red) to bullet points and racing flags (Black).

Keep Reading ...Show less

Most workaholics can rationalize working all the time. At least to themselves.

BANTER BITE BACKSTORY: “Gizmos” already blurred the lines between the workweek and the weekend, but the WFH (working from home) “revolution” caused by the pandemic has destroyed the line; except for people like Black, who have always treated every day as a workday.

Keep Reading ...Show less